United States President Donald Trump will meet on Friday with the special forces soldiers who captured Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro in a deadly raid in Caracas in January. First Lady Melania Trump will accompany her husband for the trip to greet the troops at the Fort Bragg military base in North Carolina, the White House said. Eighty-three people were killed and more than 112 people were injured in the assault, which began with US bombing raids on Venezuelan military targets, Venezuelan officials said. The US president has repeatedly hailed the Maduro operation as an example of his country’s military might as he asserts Washington’s right to dominate its backyard. In a rally in Iowa in January, Trump hailed the “spectacular” operation by a “group of unbelievable talented patriotic people that love our country.

February 13, 2026 09:35 UTC

Recounting events at the end of military rule in 1979, Obasanjo said his government had been on the verge of achieving self-sufficiency in rice production before handing over to civilians. “By the time we left in July 1979, we wanted to be self-sufficient in rice production. Based on the findings, Obasanjo explained, his administration banned the importation of rice before leaving office in October 1979. One of the barons who obtained a rice import licence from America ordered rice and then asked the suppliers to add $5m to the cost. Obasanjo emphasised that for Africa to come of age, it must record annual GDP growth of nine to ten per cent.

February 13, 2026 09:13 UTC

The aim is to supply the Justice Department’s Office of Immigration Litigation with a steady flow of cases. “We maintain a zero-tolerance policy towards fraud in the naturalisation process and will pursue denaturalisation proceedings for any individual who lied or misrepresented themselves,” NBC quoted him as saying. The Justice Department has instructed attorneys to prioritize denaturalisation. A broader clause allows action in “any other cases … that the division determines to be sufficiently important to pursue,” the Justice Department added. Trump has repeatedly focused on citizenship policy.

February 13, 2026 08:25 UTC

The Lagos State Government has said it will prosecute 75 suspected miscreants arrested along the Lagos–Calabar Coastal Road during a clean-up exercise in the area. According to Wahab, the suspects were arrested on Wednesday during intensified clean-up and enforcement operations along the corridor. He added that all suspects arrested during the operation would face the full weight of the law. “We remain resolute in restoring order, protecting public spaces, and ensuring that the Coastal Road and other parts of Lagos are safe and secure for all law-abiding residents,” he added. The Lagos–Calabar Coastal Road corridor, particularly sections currently undergoing construction and expansion, has in recent months attracted complaints from motorists and residents over harassment and insecurity.

February 13, 2026 08:07 UTC

The Federal Government has stepped up security operations across Nigeria’s North Central region following recent terrorist attacks that killed about 75 villagers in Kwara State, launching a renewed offensive aimed at protecting vulnerable communities. The operation, code-named Operation Savannah Shield, involves the deployment of combined security forces, including the military, police and national forest guard units, to reinforce existing security structures across the region. The latest security push follows the expansion of the national security mandate established by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu when he declared a state of emergency on national security on 26 November 2026. Condemning the Kwara attacks, President Tinubu described them as beastly and heartless, blaming terrorists for deliberately targeting vulnerable civilians. As part of the new measures, security presence is being increased in high-risk communities, with particular attention to protecting places of worship.

February 13, 2026 08:04 UTC





The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has entered into a strategic educational partnership with the Nigerian Conservation Foundation (NCF) on education and environmental leadership. Speaking on the initiative, NANS Presidential Spokesperson, Comrade Alao John, described the partnership as a deliberate step towards strengthening environmental consciousness, youth leadership and sustainability advocacy among Nigerian students. Alao noted that the collaboration with the NCF, Nigeria’s premier non-governmental organisation dedicated to nature conservation and sustainable development, aligns with its commitment to producing socially responsible and environmentally conscious future leaders. To kick-start the collaboration, NANS and NCF have concluded arrangements for a three-day educational trip and environmental leadership programme. The programme will host one hundred participants, comprising representatives of Nigerian students studying in tertiary institutions across the country.

February 13, 2026 08:04 UTC

The Chinese Embassy in Nigeria has rejected allegations linking Chinese mining companies to illegal mining activities and the funding of terrorism in Nigeria, describing the claims as false, “completely baseless” and damaging to China-Nigeria relations. ALSO READ: FULL TEXT: US lawmaker introduces bill to stop ‘Christian persecution’ in NigeriaThe statement reads, “Some media reported on this bill and fabricated such rumors as ‘Chinese mining companies funding terrorism’. “The overwhelming majority of Chinese mining companies in Nigeria have set an exemplary record of compliance with Nigerian laws and regulations. The embassy further stated that most Chinese mining companies in Nigeria have maintained compliance with Nigerian laws while contributing to local communities, supporting economic development and creating employment opportunities. The embassy added that China remains ready to deepen cooperation with Nigeria in the mining sector and strengthen governance to promote sustainable development of China-Nigeria mining cooperation.

February 13, 2026 07:54 UTC

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) has supervised a demolition exercise conducted by the Bauchi State Infrastructure Development and Maintenance Agency (BASIDMA) at the high-tension corridor along Zango and Yelwa communities in Bauchi. The operation targeted residential and commercial structures erected within the statutory Right of Way (RoW) of TCN transmission lines. These efforts aim to address the risks associated with structures built within the transmission line corridor. “BASIDMA, responsible for regulating land use, controlling development, and managing infrastructure in Bauchi State, took the decision to demolish the structures following these engagements. “The demolition exercise marks a significant step in ensuring the integrity of Nigeria’s transmission infrastructure and protecting the public from potential hazards associated with structures built under high-tension transmission lines.”

February 13, 2026 07:48 UTC

The Macallan, world-renowned single-malt Scotch whisky, has continued to reinforce its commitment to craftsmanship, creativity and sustainability with its partnership with the Alexis Galleries for the Recycling Matter II exhibition. Just as The Macallan’s exceptional whiskies are born from a meticulous process of selection and refinement, Alexis Galleries champions artists who demonstrate innovative techniques and profound narrative depth in their work. The Macallan, renowned for its dedication to artistry, craftsmanship, and sustainability, reinforced its role as a patron of creative excellence through this collaboration. Hammed Adebiyi, Senior Brand Manager, West and Central Africa (WACA), Edrington, explained the significance of the partnership: “Our partnership with Alexis Galleries aligns perfectly with The Macallan’s commitment to supporting creative communities and celebrating exceptional craftsmanship. “We are glad to have partnered with The Macallan for a second time for this Recycling Matter II Exhibition,” said Patty Chidiac-Mastrogiannis, the CEO of Alexis Galleries.

February 13, 2026 07:48 UTC

The Kano State Government has denied allegations that it plans to prevent former governor and senator, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, from entering the state, describing the claim as false and politically motivated. The denial follows an allegation by Kwankwaso’s political associate, Buba Galadima, who told an online newspaper that the administration of Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf had written to the Federal Government requesting that Kwankwaso be barred from entering Kano. He described the allegation as false, malicious, and a deliberate attempt to mislead the public and create unnecessary political tension within the state. ALSO READ: Oyo fire service averts disaster as petrol tanker crashes on Lagos-Ibadan expressway“At no time did the Kano State Government write to the Federal Government or any authority with the intention of preventing Senator Kwankwaso, or any Nigerian citizen, from entering Kano State. The commissioner emphasized that Kano remains a peaceful and law-abiding state where the constitutional rights of citizens — including freedom of movement and association — are respected and protected.

February 13, 2026 07:48 UTC

New search data from Google shows that Nigerians are ditching the standard dinner-and-roses playbook for something much more personal—and occasionally unexpected. Here is what is trending on Google Search in Nigeria this February. Nigerians are dreaming big this year, with top searches including ‘romantic weekend getaway lagos’ and the adventurous ‘valentine cruise trip near Nigeria’. The concept of Galentine’s Day is officially mainstream, with friend groups searching for ‘Galantine’s Day party’ ideas to celebrate their circle. It’s all about the aestheticWhen it comes to gifting, the generic is out and the ‘money bouquet’ is in.

February 13, 2026 05:57 UTC

The Oyo State Police Command has launched a manhunt for the abductors of a 12-year-old student of a private secondary school who was kidnapped on Thursday morning in Ibadan, the state capital. The incident occurred at about 7:20 a.m. in the Challenge area as the girl was alighting from a vehicle that conveyed her to school. “Preliminary information indicates that a 12-year-old female student of a private secondary school was allegedly abducted by unknown armed men at a junction leading to the school premises,” the police spokesperson said. The police spokesperson said eyewitnesses had been identified and questioned, adding that their accounts were providing useful leads for ongoing investigations. The command urged members of the public to remain calm and support the police with credible information, assuring that such information would be treated with utmost confidentiality.

February 13, 2026 05:06 UTC

According to OPEC’s Monthly Oil Market Report, Nigeria produced about 1.46 million barrels of crude oil per day in January 2026. Crude oil output had dipped in December 2025 by 14,000 barrels per day, despite government efforts to ramp up production. In 2025, Nigeria’s crude oil production fell below its OPEC quota in nine months, meeting or slightly exceeding the target only in January, June, and July. Meanwhile, the new Chief Executive of the NUPRC, Oritsemeyiwa Eyesan, has pledged to increase oil production. According to her, the agenda aligns with President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda and the administration’s plan to grow Nigeria’s crude oil production to 2 mbpd by 2027 and 3 mbpd by 2030.

February 13, 2026 05:02 UTC

The planned maintenance affects gas supply into the NNPC Gas Infrastructure Company Limited (NGIC) pipeline network and is expected to temporarily reduce thermal generation capacity on the national grid. “During the maintenance period, gas availability to certain power plants that depend on this supply network will be temporarily reduced. While Nigeria has abundant gas reserves—the largest in Africa—persistent supply bottlenecks, pipeline vandalism, payment arrears, and infrastructure maintenance have repeatedly disrupted electricity generation. The company acknowledged that the maintenance would temporarily reduce gas supply into the NGIC network, with possible knock-on effects on electricity generation. “During the four-day maintenance period, there will be a temporary reduction in gas supply into the NGIC pipeline network.

February 13, 2026 04:35 UTC

He specifically said that irrational and unnecessary levies by FAAN may shorten the lifespan of many aviation companies. Ojikutu argued that based on the 2024 traffic figures alone, revenue generated from Passenger Service Charges (PSC), aircraft landing and parking fees should not be less than N400 billion annually. He added: “Unless all these are factored rationally into FAAN earnings before new charges are introduced, unnecessary and irrational charges will be shortening the lifespans of many aviation operators. “Secondly, most of the earnings are not used on the critical services in airports, especially the perimeter/security fences. The aviation expert also suggested that runways, taxiways and associated landing aids be transferred to the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA), while airport security operations should be excised into an autonomous government security agency dedicated solely to aviation security.

February 13, 2026 04:18 UTC