Do you accept the terms? No, I reject the terms for becoming a GhanaWeb member. Yes, I accept the terms for becoming a GhanaWeb member.
Do you accept the terms? No, I reject the terms for becoming a GhanaWeb member. Yes, I accept the terms for becoming a GhanaWeb member.
Business News of Monday, 12 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Ghana Tourism Authority (GTA) has officially kicked off its 2026 engagement calendar with a high-level stakeholders’ meeting, bringing together key players across Ghana’s tourism value chain to set the tone for the year ahead. The engagement, the first of its kind for the year, was attended by representatives from across the tourism industry, including hospitality operators, tour operators, event promoters, cultural and heritage stakeholders, and allied service providers. Also present were all three Deputy Chief Executive Officers of the Ghana Tourism Authority, alongside directors and senior management from the GTA Head Office. “This year, our engagement with industry stakeholders will be more deliberate, more consistent, and more results-driven,” Maame Efua Houadjeto stated. The Ghana Tourism Authority reiterated its resolve to maintain open and consistent engagement with stakeholders throughout the year as it works to build a resilient, inclusive and high-performing tourism industry for Ghana.
In confirming the decision, the club said Alonso departed with immediate effect and praised his legacy. "Real Madrid CF announces that, by mutual agreement between the club and Xabi Alonso, it has been decided to end his time as coach of the first team. Xabi Alonso will always have the affection and admiration of all madridismo because he is a Real Madrid legend and has always represented the values of our club. Real Madrid will always be his home. Real Madrid also announced that Álvaro Arbeloa, previously in charge of Castilla, has been appointed as the new first-team head coach as the club looks to salvage its season and push for trophies.
This story focuses on the numbers from Alonso’s time in charge, providing a full statistical summary of Real Madrid’s performance across all competitions during his tenure. Over that period, Madrid won 24 games, drew four and lost six, scoring 72 goals and conceding 38 while keeping 10 clean sheets. In La Liga, Alonso’s Madrid won 14 of 19 matches, drew three and lost two, collecting 45 points out of a possible 57. In the Champions League, Madrid won four of six matches, securing 12 points from a possible 18. Across all competitions, Real Madrid averaged 2.25 points per match under Alonso, scoring 72 goals, conceding 38, and keeping 10 clean sheets.
Ayertey, led his side Parin FC to beat Achimota Manchester United 7-3 in the 11th week league game played at the Alajo Astro Turf. Though Achimota Manchester United came back on three occasions to level up in the course of the game, Parin FC went all out and scored four unanswered goals to seal the victory. In a match watched by former Asante Kotoko Head Coach Bashiru Hanford, now with Heart of Lions and former Black Stars player Yaw Preko, Parin FC were ruthless and could have won by a wider margin. Ayertey, is now the club’s top scorer with ten goals and remain the target of local and international scouts. With Parin FC on top of the league table in the division, Ayertey is expected to remain in his fine form and lead the club to win the league and possibly the middle league to qualify for division two league.
“However, one year down the line, this appears to be a scam perpetrated on the youth. According to the youth wing, unemployment remains a major threat to social stability, warning the President that the situation could spiral if left unresolved. While acknowledging some macroeconomic gains, the youth wing said these have not translated into better living conditions for young Ghanaians. The NPP youth leadership also criticised government priorities, pointing to unemployment among trained nurses and teachers. The youth feel left on a desolate, cold, icy road, used to gain power, deceived, and now withering in hope.
General News of Monday, 12 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comMinister of Health, Kwabena Mintah Akandoh, has officially opened a two -day retreat for the management of the Ministry of Health and its agencies, aimed at enhancing collaboration, strategic planning, and service delivery across the sector. Speaking at the opening, Akandoh described the retreat as an 'important platform for collective reflection, strategic coordination, and alignment’ as the ministry reviews past performance and charts the way forward. He emphasized the need for adaptive leadership to respond effectively to evolving demands in the health sector. Health minister outlines 4-week plan to restore Ghana's electronic healthcare system“This retreat is not just an interactive exercise, but a learning and strategic partnership forum. It allows us to take an honest performance assessment, identify gaps, and address systemic constraints to improve planning and implementation this year," he indicated.
General News of Monday, 12 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe High Court in Accra has reportedly ordered the state to justify the continuous detention of ‘rival Bawku Naba’ Alhaji Seidu Abagre, who was arrested following the implementation of the mediation report by the Asantehene, which recommended the removal of the rival chief from Bawku. Alhaji Seidu’s lead counsel, Martin Kpedu, speaking to the media after the court proceedings on Monday, bemoaned the continuous detention of his client. "I have been candid with my brother Nayiri that the purported enskinment of Seidu Abagre as Bawku Naba can’t stand. I believe my brother Nayiri has come to terms with the difficulties that we have posed to achieve the lasting peace he desires,” the Asantehene said. The Asantehene also recommended that the government should facilitate the safe movement of Alhaji Seidu Abagre from Bawku.
General News of Monday, 12 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, has destooled the Apatrapahemaa, Oheneba Akyaa Panin III, after it emerged that she is not of royal lineage, rendering her occupancy of the stool illegitimate. The 158-year record Otumfuo Osei Tutu II is set to break with a new Asantehemaa“Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, Asantehene, has destooled the Apatrapahemaa, Nana Akyaa Panin,” the post read. The destoolment took place when she stood before the Asantehene to lay claim to the Bosom Prah Kumaa Stool as part of Apatrapa. Watch as the Asantehene tours massive estate of Juabenhene Siriboe IIHer removal marks the conclusion of a reign that spanned 24 years. See the post below:JKB/AEMeanwhile, watch as NDC MPs and party leadership pay tribute to late Naser Toure Mahama
Regional News of Monday, 12 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comSome residents of Buipe, a community in the Savanna Region, were faced with double agony during a recent fire outbreak in their area. The residents whose properties were on fire called for the assistance of personnel of the Ghana Fire Service. However, the residents had to rescue the firemen, whose vehicle had somersaulted upon arriving at the scene of the outbreak. A video of the incident, which has gone viral, showed the moment the fire service tender overturned very close to one of the buildings that was on fire. The residents rushed to the fire service vehicle to help rescue the firefighters who were trapped.
General News of Monday, 12 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Chief Fire Officer of the Ghana National Fire Service, (GNFS) Daniella Mawusi Ntow Sarpong, has addressed public criticisms that she is not physically fit for the role and therefore unsuitable to lead the service. I’ve worked in many districts, Madina, Adenta, Nungua, Dansoman and I was awarded by the then Chief Officer, Chief Gaisie, as the Best Regional Commander in 2015,” she added. I will be a mother for all – Chief Fire Officer declaresLooking ahead to 2026, the Chief Fire Officer pledged to intensify public education on fire prevention, emphasising that negligence remains a major cause of fire outbreaks. The Public Services Commission (PSC) in November 2025, officially confirmed Mawusi Ntow Sarpong, as the substantive Chief Fire Officer of the GNFS. Watch a snippet of her video below:Chief Fire Officer Daniella Mawusi Ntow Sarpong has responded to critiques of her appointment, stating, the criticisms made her stronger.
General News of Monday, 12 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe inadequate water supply to the Teshie-Nungua enclave of Accra in the Greater Accra Region has become worse as the Teshie-Nungua Desalination Plant remains shut down over unpaid debts. The places hardest hit by the water shortage include Teshie, Nungua, Baatsona, Spintex, Sakumono, La and surrounding areas. In October 2025, the Teshie-Nungua Desalination Plant, which converted seawater to potable drinking water and supplied it mainly to these areas, was shut down by the Ghana Water Company (GWL). But several months down the line, on January 8, 2026, the GWL had to release a water rationing schedule as the water crisis worsened following agitations from residents. Whatever the case maybe, calls have intensified for a quick solution to the water shortages in these areas notwithstanding the schedule for water rationing.
General News of Monday, 12 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comThe Director of Communications for the Bawumia Campaign, Dennis Miracles Aboagye, has said that the size of the current government cannot be measured solely by the number of ministers appointed. According to a report by myjoyonline.com on January 12, 2026, Aboagye noted that under the National Democratic Congress (NDC) administration, several presidential staffers perform functions equivalent to those of deputy ministers. Drawing on his own experience as a presidential staffer under former President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, Aboagye said the functional authority of these staffers is often comparable to those of deputy ministers. Miracles Aboagye provides breakdown of workers at the presidency“From my experience as a presidential staffer under former President Akufo-Addo, that position is effectively equivalent to a deputy minister,” he stated. He explained that while the government has appointed 56 ministers, many individuals who would ordinarily hold ministerial or deputy ministerial positions are instead serving as presidential staffers at the Jubilee House.
The commissioning ceremony was graced by the Minister of Education, Haruna Iddrisu, Osuodumgya Otutu Ababio V, Chief of Adukrom, and key officials of the KGL Group, including Executive Chairman Alex Apau Dadey and the Group CEO. He explained that the Ghana Education Trust Fund (GETFund) will provide GHS 100 million in 2026 to support this programme, covering tuition, administrative costs, and essential assistive devices. “Learning for special needs students under President Mahama will be free and adequately funded by the Ghana Education Trust Fund,” Mr. Iddrisu stated. The event concluded with a formal handover of the refurbished facilities, marking the beginning of a new chapter for the Gloria Boatema Dadey–Nifa Basic School. May this school flourish, and may it raise leaders who will honour this land and serve Ghana with distinction.”
Politics of Monday, 12 January 2026Source: www.ghanaweb.comFormer Deputy Attorney General Alfred Tuah-Yeboah has questioned Attorney General Dr Dominic Akuritinga Ayine’s decision to discontinue the Saglemi Housing Project case. Saglemi Housing Case: Court discharges Collins Dauda, 3 othersOut of these, he said 666 were substantially completed, 74 were at the foundation stage, and 778 were structurally complete. In February 2025, the Attorney General officially withdrew all charges against former works and housing minister Collins Dauda and four others involved in the case. Saglemi Housing Case: See details of all 70 charges state filed against Collins Dauda, three othersThe accused persons had previously faced seventy charges, including causing financial loss to the state, in connection with the controversial $200 million Saglemi Affordable Housing Project. The case, initiated under the previous administration, alleged that the accused persons were instrumental in approving and implementing the housing project.