North Korea announced last week that it would destroy its nuclear test siteVIENNA: The head of the UN’s nuclear test ban watchdog said Wednesday that it stands ready to send a team to North Korea to verify the closure of the country’s nuclear test site. North Korea announced last week that it would destroy the site in a ceremony scheduled between May 23-25. The fact that North Korea had not signed the CTBT “is not an impediment to make our technology available for the international community,” he added. However, Zerbo confirmed that no request for help with verification had yet been received from North Korea or with any other party to a possible agreement. Zerbo’s comments come a day after North Korea said it planned to join international efforts to implement a total ban on nuclear weapons tests, part of the recent dramatic series of diplomatic breakthroughs between North Korea, South Korea and the US.
Source: The Express Tribune May 16, 2018 16:52 UTC