Tens of thousands more operations will be cancelled to deal with a growing winter crisis, as one doctor apologised for “third-world conditions” at his accident and emergency unit. All non-urgent operations should be cancelled and single-sex wards abandoned until the end of the month, the national crisis team has advised. Routine appointments would also be postponed to deal with emergencies, health chiefs said yesterday, as rising numbers of hospitals urged patients to stay away because of overcrowding. Hospitals in Cornwall, Leicester and Kent have warned they are so busy that patient care and safety could be compromised, while at least two ambulance services said they had been so stretched that some patients with less serious conditions had to be taken to hospital by taxi.
Source: The Times January 03, 2018 00:05 UTC