(CNN) A New Jersey firefighter and his family lost their home in a fire Sunday, but his daughter made sure the family remained safe. Six-year-old Madalyn Karlbon heard a smoke alarm go off in her home in the middle of the night, according to the Avenel Fire Department's Facebook page . After seeing smoke, she woke up her dad, Avenel Fire Department Ex-Chief Jimmy Karlbon, and they helped get the family to safety. Avenel Fire Department President Frank Strain told CNN Tuesday that the family's house has been deemed uninhabitable after a fire accidentally started in the Karlbons' kitchen. In the meantime, toys, clothing and other donations have flooded in.
Source: CNN January 22, 2020 04:18 UTC