Reuters, WASHINGTONUS President Donald Trump is expected to sign an executive order this week barring US companies from using telecommunications equipment made by firms that pose a national security risk, paving the way for a ban on doing business with China’s Huawei Technologies Co (華為), three officials familiar with the plan said. An official also said that the order, which could have been signed as soon as yesterday, has nothing to do with an escalation of the trade conflict with China. In August last year, Trump signed a bill that barred the US government from using equipment from Huawei and China’s ZTE Corp (中興通訊). While the big wireless companies have already cut ties with Huawei, small rural carriers continue to rely on Huawei and ZTE switches, and other equipment because they tend to be cheaper. The Rural Wireless Association, which represents carriers with fewer than 100,000 subscribers, estimated that one-quarter of its members had Huawei or ZTE equipment in their networks, it said in an FCC filing in December last year.
Source: Taipei Times May 15, 2019 15:56 UTC