AFP, SEOULNorth and South Korea yesterday reopened a cross-border hotline that had been shut down since 2016, forging ahead with peace overtures despite taunts from US President Donald Trump, who said he has a “much bigger” nuclear button than North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. The hotline was restored after Seoul proposed high-level talks in response to an olive branch from Kim, who has offered to send a team to next month’s Winter Olympics in the South. “The phone conversation lasted 20 minutes,” a South Korean Ministry of Unification official said, adding that details were not known immediately. Kim during his new year address included a warning to the US that he has a “nuclear button” on his table, prompting a furious response from Trump. “If the South becomes the North’s dialogue partner, the US-South Korea alliance will face difficulties,” he said.
Source: Taipei Times January 03, 2018 15:56 UTC