The dilapidated building in the densely populated Lagos Island area of the city came down without warning on Wednesday morning. But Lagos State health commissioner Jide Idris said the final toll was now higher. – Demolition starts –The updated death toll came as bulldozers moved in to the area around the collapse to begin tearing down poorly-maintained and dangerous buildings. Omotayo Fakolujo, from the Lagos State Building and Control Agency (LASBCA), said about 100 distressed buildings had been earmarked for demolition. Two manslaughter prosecutions are currently being held in Lagos state after scores of people were killed in two separate building collapses in 2015 and 2016.
Source: The Guardian March 15, 2019 13:52 UTC