The provincial government is extending restitution to former Woodlands school attendees who were previously excluded from compensation given out to survivors of the New Westminster institution in a class-action settlement. government moved to finally do the right thing to extend compensation to Woodlands survivors previously denied redress for the abuse they suffered at this provincial institution," said Health Minister Adrian Dix. 'Sense of closure'Bill McArthur, a former Woodlands resident and survivors' advocate, said he felt vindicated by the announcement. "Today I feel some sense of closure on a difficult past as I, and many Woodlands survivors, are finally achieving something we have long fought for," he said. A 2002 report by ombudsperson Dulcie McCallum found there had been widespread sexual, physical and psychological abuse of Woodlands residents.
Source: CBC News October 08, 2018 21:33 UTC