The National Police Commission (Napolcom) has released a new list of local chief executives in Calabarzon who will be stripped of their powers over the local police. Calabarzon is composed of Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon. Ronald Banzuela, acting provincial officer of Napolcom Batangas, said Resolution 2017-611 containing the list was approved on November 29. Among those on the list are Lucena City (Quezon) Mayor Roderick Alcala, Los Baños (Laguna) Mayor Caesar Perez, Bay (also Laguna) Mayor Bruno Ramos and Ibaan (Batangas) Mayor Juan Toreja. Toreja is one of three local chief executives in Batangas who have lost their powers over policemen, the first two being Tanauan City Mayor Antonio Halili and Lemery Mayor Eulalio Alilio, who were stripped of such powers last month.
The massive data breach that hit ride-hailing company Uber last year affected about 171,000 Filipino drivers and passengers, the National Privacy Commission (NPC) said on Friday. “Uber made public additional information earlier made available to us on their 2016 data breach. We wereinformed that about 171,000 Filipino citizens consisting of drivers and passengers were affected,”, Liboro said. We were also informed that the exposure of the affected data subjects was limited to their registered name, e-mail address and phone number,” he added. We have received reports of irregular processing following the report of the breach, but we are still investigating these claims and their link to the 2016 data breach.
ASINGAN, Pangasinan: The municipal mayor and vice mayor here were both suspended for one year without pay by the Office of the Ombudsman for violating three administrative offenses when they placed their names and pictures in an ambulance acquired by the municipal government. In a decision, a copy of which was obtained by The Manila Times, Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales ordered Catalino Cuy, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) acting secretary, for the immediate implementation of her order suspending respondents Mayor Heidee Ganigan-Chua and Vice Mayor Carlos Lopez,Jr. 1 Municipal Councilor Joshua Viray as acting mayor while No. 2 Councilor Mel Lopez will replace his brother Carlos as acting vice mayor. 2010-10, which bans the placing of names, initials, images or pictures of government officials on billboards and signages or on government programs, projects and property.
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) opened on Friday the widened 245-lineal-meter Barkadahan Bridge in Taytay town, Rizal province. According to the Public Works department, the bridge is expected to benefit motorists who use the Laguna Lake Highway as an alternative route to Epifanio de los Santos Ave. (EDSA) and C-5 Road. “The additional one lane each in both the [eastern]and [western]direction can be used by motorists going to [the]Taytay, Rizal area and [the]South Luzon Expressway (SLEX) via Bicutan. Travel time from Barkadahan Bridge to Bicutan SLEX will be shortened from one hour to only 30 minutes,” Public Works Secretary Mark Villar said in a statement. “With close coordination with the concerned stakeholders, we were able to relocate the affected informal-settler families and now the general public can utilize a wider Barkadahan Bridge,” he added.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has suspended until December 2018 conditionalities for the government’s Conditional Cash Transfer program for the poor for CCT households affected by the Marawi siege. “Our target in delivering the first 500 transitional shelters was slightly moved to December 27. “So we continue to build transitional shelters, we will be able to decongest our evacuation centers,” Tolentino added. As of December 12, 309 of the 673 transitional shelters in Barangay Sagonsongan had been substantially completed. “The site of the transitional shelters is provided with water, roads, septic tank for every house, toilet and bath, as well as a sink,” Tolentino said.
The Philippines’ upgraded investment rating bodes well for a planned global bond offering, Treasury and Finance officials said. This augurs well for our next global bond offering even as the market has priced our bonds much tighter than our ratings,” National Treasurer Rosalia de Leon said. De Leon noted that the Treasury bureau was in the process of preparing the global bond offering and at the same time working to keep the borrowing mix at 80:20 in favor of domestic sources. Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez 3rd earlier said that numerous international banking institutions, including European banks, were interested in the Philippines’ planned dollar-denominated global bond float, which is expected to raise $1 billion new money for the government. Ana also said that banks and potential investors were providing positive feedback on the planned bond issuance.
Yet there are also new challenges to face as the marketing and operations of an e-commerce business are different from a traditional store’s. Thankfully, there are plenty of platforms and services that have been built to support the needs of e-commerce entrepreneurs. E-commerce platforms compile this information. It is common for e-commerce platforms to collect all payments and remit the money to merchants within 30 to 60 days. Now isn’t it a good thing that e-commerce businesses have data from their platforms and have the logistics partners to guarantee fulfillment?
The World Bank has updated its Philippine growth forecast for 2017, taking into account a stronger-than-expected third quarter expansion. The updated forecast, which falls within the government’s 6.5-7.5 percent target, is lower than last year’s actual 6.9-percent growth. The World Bank’s growth forecast for 2018 remains at 6.7 percent, lower than the official 7-8 percent goal. The World Bank is the latest to adjust its full-year forecast for the Philippines following the surprisingly strong third quarter result. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) earlier this week also upgraded its 2017 Philippine growth outlook to 6.7 percent from 6.5 percent.
The country will likely post a substantially higher balance of payments (BoP) deficit this year, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas announced on Friday. The current account, meanwhile, is expected to show a lower deficit. In 2016, the country’s BoP position ended in a deficit of $400 million. The current account is seen to post a deficit of $100 million, lower than the previous projection of $600 million to reflect an improvement in the trade balance. The trade-in-goods deficit increased to $9.5 billion from $9 billion as exports rose by 12.9 percent to $12.8 billion and imports hit $22.2 billion, higher by 9.6 percent.
The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) seized P500,000 worth of shabu, marijuana and cocaine from a married couple and their cohorts in a house raid on Thursday in Cogeo, Antipolo City in Rizal. The PDEA Special Enforcement Service (PDEA-SES) on Friday reported that Junjie Chavez, 30, and Malome Amahan, 38, were nabbed at Log Com Village in Barangay De la Paz. Inside the house, PDEA-SES agents, led by Director Levi Ortiz, reportedly pushed away a bed that revealed a hidden annex that led to a shabu laboratory. According to the PDEA, the suspects may be connected to armed groups in the north of the country. The agency said the suspects have been in the drug trade for a long time before they were nabbed.
UNITED NATIONS, United States: North Korea must “earn its way back” to the negotiating table, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Friday, backing away from an earlier unconditional offer of talks to end the nuclear stand-off with Pyongyang. “North Korea must earn its way back to the table,” he said. In Washington, US President Donald Trump criticized Russia for not doing enough to pressure North Korea to change course. We would like to have Russia’s help,” said Trump, who discussed North Korea by phone with President Vladimir Putin on Thursday. “The international community must continue to coordinate and apply pressure until North Korea changes its policies and seeks negotiations,” Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said.
ONE of the subsidiaries of Cemex Holdings Philippines Corp. is set to expand its production capacity by 1.5 million metric tons (MT) per year after it secured the nod of the Department of the Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) for a new plant. Cemex told the Philippine Stock Exchange that unit Solid Cement Corp. had received an Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC) covering an expanded and new integrated production line in Antipolo, Rizal. The Solid Cement plant—targeted to be fully operational in 2019—will contribute an additional 1.5 million MT of cement output to parent CemexCemex currently produces 5 million to 5.3 million MT per annum from its kilns, and Solid Cement’s new plant would raise this to about 6.8 million MT. Cemex signed in May this year an agreement with CBMI Construction Co. Ltd. to start the first phase of expansion, allocating P889 million for the Solid Cement expansion program out of its P2.084 billion capital expenditure this year. Cemex is one of the largest cement manufacturers in the Philippines based on installed annual capacity.
SMART Communications, Inc. has expanded its carrier-grade wireless connectivity to 40 provinces including Metro Manila. Carrier-grade offers high quality internet coverage, which can accommodate large numbers of users, Smart said in a statement on Thursday. The company said hundreds of establishments were already being served with this Smart WiFi, including the 13 stations of the Manila Metro Rail Transit which cater to about 230,000 commuters daily. “Through this Smart Wifi rollout, Filipinos with Wifi-capable devices, regardless of network, can have access to quality connectivity,” Hernandez added. Smart said the rollout of this technology nationwide was part of PLDT’s initiative to make the internet accessible to all Filipinos.
PLDT and Globe Telecom on Friday said too many permits required by the government were hampering their efforts to roll out more cell sites that would improve internet speeds in the country. “[M]ost of us, if not all, connect to the internet via Globe and Smart mobile networks. Rio said at least 67,000 cell sites were needed to be comparable with Vietnam’s internet quality. The two telcos stressed they had the capacity to add more cell sites but the permits system was slowing them down. In a phone interview, Rio told The Manila Times that the government acknowledged the issue and was looking for ways to eliminate red tape.
AboitizPower Corp. said Thursday that its unit Hedcor, Inc. had broken ground on its 19-megawatt (MW) Bineng Combination Hydro plant in La Trinidad in Benguet. Once the P1.7-billion hydro facility is completed in June 2019, it is expected to generate 62 million kilowatt hours (kWh) annually. The project is also seen to bolster La Trinidad’s status as a hydropower host community. The Municipality of La Trinidad and host barangays Bineng, Alapang, and Alno approved the Bineng combination hydro project earlier this year. According to Chris Sangster, AboitizPower executive director, the project was in line with the firm’s commitment to foster inclusive growth.