Oasis star Liam Gallagher lends voice to Christmas climate change campaign 2 SHARES Share it! Share Tweet By: ReutersLONDON (Reuters) – Former Oasis front man Liam Gallagher has lent his distinctive voice to a Christmas-themed video produced by an activist group highlighting climate change. Gallagher had a string of hits with Oasis in the late 1990s and early 2000s, including “Live Forever” and “Wonderwall”, before the band split in 2009. His first album as a solo artist, “As You Were,” was released in October 2017, and topped the U.K. album charts. Tags: activist group, cartoon snowman, distinctive voice, Liam Gallagher, Manila Bulletin, Manila Bulletin Entertainment, mb.com.ph, Oasis, Oasis star Liam Gallagher lends voice to Christmas climate change campaign, “The Very Hot Snowman”
December 15, 2017 09:33 UTC
TAGBILARAN CITY, Bohol—Three men have been detained to face charges for allegedly raping a 10-year-old boy. The Bohol Police Provincial Office said the Loon Police Station arrested on Thursdaymornin g the suspects identified as Joshua Bitancor, Jan Marnel Bantolinao and Dominic Mejorada, all residents of Loon town. ADVERTISEMENTNo details were given by the police how the rape happened except that the incident took place last May in Loon. Loon police said the suspects were detained at their lock-up jail. The bond of P120,000 each was set for their temporary liberty.
December 15, 2017 09:22 UTC
Documentarian Morgan Spurlock steps down after admitting misconduct 4 SHARES Share it! Share Tweet By: ReutersLOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Award-winning U.S. documentary maker Morgan Spurlock stepped down from his production company on Thursday after saying on social media that he had engaged in sexual misconduct. In a statement issued on Thursday by Spurlock’s independent production company, Warrior Poets, which he co-founded in 2004, partners Jeremy Chilnick and Matthew Galkin said, “As of today, Morgan Spurlock will be stepping down effective immediately. Spurlock, 47, wrote that about eight years ago he settled a sexual harassment lawsuit brought by an assistant he had called “hot pants” or “sex pants” in the office. Tags: Documentarian Morgan Spurlock steps down after admitting misconduct, independent production company, Manila Bulletin, Manila Bulletin Entertainment, Matthew Galkin, mb.com.ph, Morgan Spurlock, production company, sexual harassment lawsuit, sexual misconduct, Social media
December 15, 2017 09:22 UTC
MANILA, Philippines – Multi-titled player and coach Frankie Lim will make a return to the NCAA after he was tapped as a consultant to the Perpetual Help team seeking its very first senior basketball championship. But last Wednesday, sources said the Policy Board has officially lifted the suspension of Lim, making him eligible to handle any post related to the NCAA. Sportshub ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1“I’m happy to be back,” said Lim. Lim, however, clarified that Nosa Omorogbe and Jimwell Gican will still handle the team. “Chairman (Antonio Tamayo) wanted me as a consultant and help the team in recruitment and we’re looking at a long-term partnership,” said Lim.
December 15, 2017 09:11 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — As international attention “shifts away” from the “slow-moving” maritime dispute, there has been no letup in China’s construction activities at its artificial islands in the contested South China Sea, new satellite imagery released by a US think tank shows. The Philippines claims parts of the South China Sea within its exclusive economic zone and calls it the West Philippine Sea. China has also started work on a new communications array on the north side of the outpost. Ties between Manila and Beijing had soured after the Philippines filed a case, and won, in a United Nations-backed tribunal against China’s sweeping claims over the South China Sea. Last month, Duterte said he remains optimistic that China will stop new occupations in South China Sea under a deal supposedly brokered by both sides.
December 15, 2017 09:00 UTC
It can be remembered that during the hearing on December 7, the First Division denied in open court the motion of Revilla. First Division chairman Associate Justice Efren De La Cruz said “the court is of the view that there is a need for the accused to present evidence”. De La Cruz then clarified that Revilla may still file his demurrer but under the risk of losing the chance to present his evidence. Instead, Revilla said, the court merely stated that there is a need for him to present his own evidence, without elaborating on its decision. “Accused Revilla respectfully submits that the reasons elaborated in detail in his 'Motion for Leave to File Demurrer to Evidence' on why the evidence of the prosecution is insufficient merits more than a casual denial,” Revilla said.
December 15, 2017 09:00 UTC
Maute-ISIS remnants recruiting post-Marawi siege — AFP Share it! “Here we can see that they are trying to intensify their forces through their continued recruitment),” Arevalo said in the vernacular. The new AFP spokesperson said the terrorist group is still offering financial remunerations, but did not mention any exact amount. “Definitely they are not recruiting in the open.”He said that the recruitment has been happening since Marawi City was liberated. Tags: Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Bangon Marawi, Edgard Arevalo, Manila Bulletin, Maute-ISIS remnants recruiting post-Marawi siege — AFP, recruitment, social media, terrorist activities
December 15, 2017 08:48 UTC
In a statement, Dela Rosa said the police force had “many victories” in 2017. Dela Rosa, who will retire January 21 next year, has been confirmed to lead the Bureau of Corrections. The PNP was also in hot water after the kidnapping and murder of South Korean businessman Jee Ick-joo by policemen. This prompted Duterte to suspend PNP’s role in drug war for the first time. READ: Duterte brings back PNP to war on drugs
December 15, 2017 08:37 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II has ordered the National Bureau of Investigation to probe the killing of a woman and her child last December 11. Aguirre issued Department Order 797 that authorizes the NBI to "conduct a case build up over the death of Ruby Gamos and her seven year old daughter Shaniah Nicole Gamos." The mother and daughter were found dead in their home in General Trias, Cavite. Ruby's husband, Marlon, arrived in the country on December 12 and sought the government's help to receive justice for the death of his wife and daughter. He asked his relatives to check on his wife and daughter after he failed to communicate with them on Friday.
December 15, 2017 08:26 UTC
Marcelito “Tito” Paez and stop government forces from committing acts of violence against Church people. ADVERTISEMENT“It also reflects the deterioration of values and respect of human life, especially those who are mandated to protect the human rights,” he added. Paez, 72, was shot by motorcycle-riding gunmen on Monday night while driving home along Barangay Lambakin in the town of Jaen, Nueva Ecija. He was active in the diocese’s Justice and Peace Office, which advocates for the promotion of the human rights of the poor. Let us stop these acts of violence and denounce any attacks against human life, human dignity and human rights,” he added.
December 15, 2017 08:15 UTC
(Updated 4:55 p.m., Dec. 15) Tacloban City has been placed under a state of calamity as tropical storm “Urduja,” with international name Kai-Tak, continued to pummel Eastern Visayas with ample rains and strong winds. 319 declaring a state of calamity over the city due to severe flooding and landslides caused by tropical storm “Urduja,” a staff of the city mayor’s office told INQUIRER.net over the phone. The resolution was signed following a special session by local government leaders of Tacloban on Friday afternoon as the tropical storm caused severe flooding and damage to property. Urduja’s location was last tracked 230 kilometers east of Borongan City, Eastern Samar, Pagasa said, adding that it slowed down while moving northwest at 5 kilometers per hour. /jpvRELATED STORY‘Urduja’ continues to inflict damage in Eastern Visayas – Pagasa
December 15, 2017 08:05 UTC
MANILA, Philippines – Jose Rizal have parted ways with its top player Teytey Teodoro as it joins the PBA D-League's season-opening conference next month. “He has one year left but he is no longer with the team,” said JRU coach Vergel Meneses, referring to Teodoro. Jose Rizal will also be without imports Abdel Poutuouchi and AbdulRazak AbdulWahab, who have both graduated, and guard Mark dela Virgen. Lasquety was actually named a playing assistant early this year in his fifth and final season for the Bombers. “He’s a smart player and this is his chance to learn as a coach,” said Meneses of Lasquety.
December 15, 2017 08:03 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — After the Philippine economy grew faster than expected in the third quarter, the World Bank has upwardly revised its 2017 growth projection for the country to 6.7 percent. In a statement issued on Friday, the Washington-based multilateral lender said it upgraded its economic growth forecast for the Philippines from the previous estimate of 6.6 percent “to reflect recent economic trends.”Meanwhile, World Bank’s growth outlook for next year remains at 6.7 percent. “Continued global economic recovery gaining steam has led to higher than expected export growth for the Philippines and an encouraging upturn for the third quarter of 2017,” said Birgit Hansl, World Bank Lead Economist for the Philippines. Simultaneous recovery in major advanced economies and in developing economies gave global trade a boost, World Bank said. On Wednesday, Manila-based Asian Development Bank also raised its 2017 and 2018 economic growth forecasts for the Philippines on the back of strong household consumption, manageable inflation and infrastructure investment.
December 15, 2017 08:03 UTC
THE Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has extended until December 2018 the suspension of the conditionalities for the Conditional Cash Transfer (CCT) program for its beneficiaries who were affected by the Marawi siege. Officer-in-Charge Emmanuel Leyco of the DSWD said the suspension, which would have been lifted after March 2018, has been extended to complement the agency’s Sustainable Livelihood Program and accelerate the recovery of the internally displaced persons. Pantawid is the Pantawid para sa Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps), the Filipino name of the CCT initiative which started in 2008. “We’d like to assure the people of Marawi that DSWD, along with other government agencies, will stand ready to address their needs,” Leyco added. President Rodrigo Duterte declared martial law in Mindanao last May 23 to suppress a supposed rebellion led by the Maute group in Marawi City.
December 15, 2017 07:52 UTC
TOKYO: Japan said on Friday it had added 19 more entities to its list of organizations and individuals targeted by asset-freeze sanctions on North Korea. Japan has already imposed strict sanctions on North Korea, including a blanket ban on trade and port calls. Top government spokesman Yoshihide Suga said: “North Korea launched an ICBM ballistic missile that landed in our exclusive economic zone and continues to repeat provocative commentaries. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, in an address to a group of news media executives in Tokyo, said North Korea is feeling the pain from increasing international sanctions, including the reduction of oil-product imports under UN sanctions. The international community must continue to coordinate and apply pressure until North Korea changes its policies and seeks negotiations,” Abe said.
December 15, 2017 07:52 UTC