The transgender community responded to the teenager who spoke against a transgender pupil using the same toilets at their school. The transgender community has responded to a Kiwi teenager who spoke out about her school's decision to allow a transgender student to use the girls' bathrooms, saying it was made without consultation and her rights were overlooked. Lynda Whitehead, spokesperson for Tranzaction, an advocacy organisation for transgender people, was shocked when watching the video. Laura added that while she has nothing against the transgender student involved in the stoush, she takes issue with the school's lack of consideration of her views. School leadership initially told the transgender student she could use the gender-neutral toilets, but she successfully campaigned to access the girls' halfway through the school year.
Commemoration of the Christchurch earthquake at 12:51pm was varied – is this a sign the city is moving on? When the new earthquake memorial was unveiled, with a minute's silence observed at 12.51pm, it seemed almost no time had passed since the 2011 disaster. READ MORE:* Canterbury earthquake memorial 'a place to grieve and hope' - English* Year seven of the rebuild - what's ahead for Christchurch? STACY SQUIRES/FAIRFAX NZ A woman sits alone looking at the wall of the new earthquake memorial in Christchurch. STACY SQUIRES/FAIRFAX NZ Three women drop flower petals into the Avon river after a ceremony at the new earthquake memorial.
Video will play in Play now Don't auto playNever auto playIt has been a shocking 48 hours for Twitter's most hated man, Milo Yiannopoulos. "I shouldn't have used the word boy," he said during a lengthy press conference this morning where he announced he was leaving Breitbart. The Milo Yiannopoulos press conference was a tour de force. Yiannopoulos has appeared, until now, to revel in those controversies and has portrayed himself as a champion of free speech. Despite his rare apology, Yiannopoulos remained defiant in arguably his most ardent cause: free speech and the right to offend.
Kiwi in France: Wintering over in the PyreneesJennifer Andrewes When the snow finally blankets the nearby hills, there is plenty of choice of slopes for tobogganing and snow fights. All of this makes that passing impression of closed, cold austerity from my blogger acquaintance entirely credible. We linger in bed in the darkness, shutters closed tight in the mornings to retain warmth. Behind the closed shutters, and away from the public places, it's also possible to discern life if you know where to look. Follow Jennifer and her family on their French adventures at putitontheslate.wordpress.comJennifer Andrewes Behind the closed shutters, the community hums with life.
SAPPORO, Japan (AP) " Asia's Olympic leader thinks the continent could stage three consecutive Winter Games and Sapporo would be an ideal location to follow Pyeongchang and Beijing. Sapporo hosted the Winter Games in 1972 and city officials are considering a bid for 2026, but nothing official has been decided. "Sapporo is capable and ready," Sheikh Al Fahad said while in Sapporo for the Asian Winter Games. While Sapporo does have many advantages, several of the facilities being used for the Asian Winter Games were built for the '72 Games and are showing signs of age. The Japanese Olympic Committee would have to determine whether it is wise to move forward with a Sapporo bid before it submits its application.
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand (AP) " Ross Taylor made a record-breaking 102 not out, his 17th century in limited-overs internationals, as New Zealand scored 289-4 batting first on Wednesday in the second ODI against South Africa. In reaching his century from the last ball of the New Zealand innings, after being dropped on 96 one ball earlier, Taylor surpassed Nathan Astle's record of 16 ODI centuries for New Zealand. It was Taylor's second century in his last three ODI innings " he made 107 against Australia earlier this month " and carried him past 6,000 ODI runs. His partnership with Williamson set the platform for the New Zealand innings after the early losses of Tom Latham (2) and Dean Brownlie (34) left it 53-2. One ball earlier Taylor slogged a short ball from Parnell to David Miller who appeared to take a brilliant diving catch on the boundary.
Reese Witherspoon, Oprah Winfrey and Mindy Kaling have captured our hearts and headlines with their glowing reviews of New Zealand, posting regular updates of their time in New Zealand on social media. But today the New Zealand Film Commission quashed those rumours, telling the Herald there is "no partnership or relationship of any sort". A spokesperson for the NZFC said the production may receive a screen production grant from the Government, if they qualify once filming is complete. Witherspoon's Instagram posts have gone out to more than 8.6 million people, while Oprah is just behind on 8.4 million followers. Mount Creighton, South Island A post shared by Mindy Kaling (@mindykaling) on Feb 14, 2017 at 2:22pm PST- NZ Herald
A new Range Rover on the waySUPPLIED The only image that Range Rover has released so far of the new Velar. Land Rover has confirmed a new addition to the Range Rover family and it will be available in New Zealanders in late 2017. The Velar will become the fourth member of the Range Rover family when it is officially unveiled on March 2. The luxury SUV was created in 1970 when Land Rover launched the original Range Rover. READ MORE:* Reborn Range Rover is 'perfect'* Touch of F-Type in Range Rover Sport HST* How Range Rover created its weirdest car, the Evoque convertible"We call the Velar the avant garde Range Rover.
Ross Taylor in action for New Zealand against South Africa. Photo: Getty ImagesWith one final blow off the last ball of the innings, Ross Taylor completed his 17th century for New Zealand, setting a record for ODI cricket at Hagley Oval today. Taylor and Jimmy Neesham put on an unbroken record stand against South Africa for the fifth wicket, 123, overtaking the old mark of Adam Parore and Shane Thomson at Centurion in 1994-95. Williamson and Taylor got through a tight period on their way to a 104-run stand, to score at a deceptively brisk rate. Taylor and Neesham carved 51 off the last 30 balls to give it a final push.
By David Leggat, in ChristchurchVideo will play in Play now Don't auto playNever auto playNew Zealand are back in business after a thrilling six-run win over South Africa in the second ODI at Hagley Oval today. South Africa needed 15 to win off the final over from Tim Southee, with their last pair at the crease. When he did arrive, after Duminy was easily stumped off Mitchell Santner, de Villiers took charge. The pair shared an unbroken 123-run fifth wicket stand, a record against South Africa. Those two runs took Taylor to 98 before he completed the job with a slap to the cover fence.
Borce Ristevski is 'number one suspect' for wife Karen's murder, his lawyer saysHusband Borce Ristevski is now the number one suspect for Karen's murder after her badly decomposed body was found in bushland. The husband of slain Australian woman Karen Ristevski is the "number one suspect" for her murder, his lawyer has declared, only hours after detectives confirmed the Melbourne mother's body had been found. Leading criminal lawyer Rob Stary said Borce Ristevski visited his office on Wednesday morning, seeking guidance on what the discovery of Ristevski, who was born in Wellington and left New Zealand as a child, could mean to the investigation. Supplied/The Age Karen Ristevski, seen here with her husband Borce and daughter Sarah. READ MORE: Missing Melbourne mother Karen Ristevski confirmed deadAs a stream of well-wishers comforted the couple's daughter Sarah in their Avondale Heights home on Wednesday morning, Ristevski met Stary in the city.
Photo: ODTActor Sam Neill has threatened to call for a boycott of Cadbury products should the company go ahead with the closure of its Dunedin factory. Dunedin dairy Brunch 'N' Lunch is one of a growing number of businesses and individuals calling for a boycott of Cadbury products. He had spoken to other Dunedin business owners who were considering removing Cadbury products from their shelves. The Boycott Cadbury NZ Facebook page had 1178 members as of this morning. However, the union representing the majority of 362 Dunedin Cadbury staff set to lose their jobs, E tu, has called for the public not to boycott Cadbury's chocolate.
"It is probable that it was this pan full of cooking oil that started the house fire," Scott said. Some whanau members had to break upper storey windows and jump out to escape, while others went down a wooden fire ladder. A second fire escape ladder had rotted away and never been replaced due to Housing Corporation policy to make fire escape routes user friendly for all people. "The escape routes from this house were designed to be the two internal stairways and the three doors from the ground storey exiting the house." "When it comes to a fire surely the more escape routes the better, even if some of these cannot be used by all people all the time."
The Project is Three's make or break moment, former executive saysSupplied The Project NZ team (front: Josh Thomson, Jesse Mulligan, Kanoa Lloyd). SuppliedA former TV3 executive says the channel has bet it all on The Project, but so far he's not sure it will pay off. The Project was Three's third major 7pm show in three years, following Campbell Live, Come Dine With Me and Story. Three's owner, Mediaworks claimed an early win, saying they'd won the battle for a key demographic, 25 to 54-year-olds. But according to Jennings, Three's new team failed to decipher the news and call out the day's ridiculousness in an entertaining way.
By Rebecca HowardThe Countdown supermarket chain posted a 4.5 per cent drop in first-half earnings due to a strategy of investing in team hours, costs of a new loyalty alliance with AA Smartfuel and uninsured losses related to the November earthquake. Sales were $3.23 billion versus $3.18b in the prior corresponding period, up 1.6 per cent. According to the company, sales in the prior year benefited from the bulk sales of gift cards. Excluding the sales of these cards, sales growth was 2.8 per cent, it said. Woolworths reported total group earnings before interest and tax of A$1.26b, up 170 per cent on the year and a net profit of A$725.3m, up 175 per cent.