However, Azmin said it was up to Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad to decide who will lead the nation after he steps down. That is the prerogative of the prime minister to decide who is best and fit to succeed. To a question as to who could have been behind the alleged plot to discredit him with the bawdy videos, Azmin said he did not want to make any accusations. Azmin also said that he was in tandem with Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s stand on the matter. If you cannot compete with someone don’t do something like this,” Dr Mahathir said, adding that politics should be kept clean.
June 13, 2019 23:03 UTC
PUTRAJAYA: An aide to Economic Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Azmin Ali admitted he had met Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz just before the latter confessed on social media to be the one in the sex video. “Yes,” Hilman told reporters when asked if the meeting with Haziq happened. It is better if we leave space to the authorities to investigate the matter,” said Hilman, when asked what the meeting was about. In the same post, Haziq also claimed that there had been sexual encounters between him and Azmin in the past. Only the truth can set me free as I am concerned for the safety of my family and mine,” wrote Haziq.
June 13, 2019 22:41 UTC
PETALING JAYA: In the wake of more sex video clips implicating a federal minister surfacing, the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has reiterated its stern warning not to spread pornographic content. MCMC said it would work together with platforms such as Facebook to ensure no pornographic content was spread. The commission also barred Sabahkini2.com for uploading the viral sex video. Another video clip of two individuals engaging in sex had surfaced, which appeared to show the same pair from the earlier viral video. Related stories:Haziq lodges report to prove his innocenceHaziq’s boss Shamsul Iskandar shocked and baffledAzmin does not want to speculatePolice start sex video investigationAide admits meeting Haziq
June 13, 2019 22:40 UTC
In response to the flood of rumours spreading about Google's upcoming flagship, the company published its own official images of the device on Twitter revealing the Pixel 4's square-shaped rear camera apparatus. Despite the launch of the next Pixel most likely not taking place until October, rumours about the Google handset have been spreading like wildfire among tech enthusiasts. For the first time, there's no fingerprint reader on the backside, suggesting that it's moved beneath the display on the front. A rumour that Google had not commented on is the possibility of a second, larger edition of the model: a Pixel 4 XL. In any case, it will likely be months before the full specs will be revealed unless Google makes another unusual move.
June 13, 2019 21:22 UTC
PARIS (Reuters) - China striker Li Ying scored the only goal in a crucial 1-0 victory over South Africa in a women’s World Cup Group B clash at the Parc des Princes on Thursday, a result that ensured Germany and France progress to the second round. Debutants South Africa are now likely out of contention after two defeats, but China face a do-or-die final pool match against Spain on Monday, when they will need victory to progress given their inferior goal difference. Germany cannot finish outside the top two in the group, and a point in their final match against South Africa will see them avoid a likely second round match against holders the United States. South Africa improved after the break and finally managed a shot on target past the hour mark, but Kholosa Biyana’s long-range effort was easy for China goalkeeper Peng Shimeng to save. China looked the fitter team in the closing stages and created a number of opportunities, but could not capitalise to improve their goal difference.
June 13, 2019 21:11 UTC
An analysis by Reuters and Citizen Lab, a Canadian research group, found that many of the new users came from Saudi Arabia. Twitter declined to comment on whether the platform had taken any new action against Saudi accounts that could have triggered the sudden sign-ups on Parler. It was not clear how many of the new Parler users had stopped using Twitter. Of those who reported their location, about a third said they were in Saudi Arabia. Many English-speaking Parler users called for a translate button so they could read the new content on the site.
June 13, 2019 20:37 UTC
LONDON (Reuters) - Formula One has decided to defer until the end of October its final presentation of the sporting regulations for 2021 after a meeting in Paris on Thursday that was also attended by world champion Lewis Hamilton. The rules were due to have been put forward for approval this month but some teams pushed to extend the deadline because they felt there was still work to do on the technical and sporting side. Formula One had originally wanted an October date but, without apparent unanimity, would have otherwise had to present the rules at a World Motor Sport Council meeting on Friday. The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) said the 10 teams had unanimously agreed the extension. The meeting was attended by all team principals and technical directors, the governing body, Formula One management, tyre supplier Pirelli and drivers Hamilton, Nico Hulkenberg and ex-racer Alexander Wurz.
June 13, 2019 20:37 UTC
OSLO (Reuters) - World junior record holder Sydney McLaughlin upstaged Olympic champion Dalilah Muhammad to win the women's 400 metres hurdles race at the Bislett Games on Thursday. The 19-year-old burst past three other runners including world champion Kori Carter to win in 54.16 seconds, ahead of fellow American Muhammad in 54.35. "It wasn't the cleanest race for me but I came back strong," McLaughlin said. The men's 400 metres hurdles produced an outstanding run from world champion Karsten Warholm as the Norwegian won in a European record of 47.33 seconds to the delight of the home crowd. (This story corrects to make clear it was McLaughlin's first 400 metres hurdles race as a professional)(Reporting by Brian Homewood, editing by Ed Osmond)
June 13, 2019 20:26 UTC
TORONTO: Ottawa has no plans to pick up plastic waste that originated in Canada and is currently parked in Malaysia, a spokesman for Canada's environment ministry said on Thursday.In late May, the Malaysian government said it would send back 3,000 tons of plastic waste back to 14 countries of origin, including Canada, the United States, Japan, France, Australia and Britain.In an email statement to Reuters, Environment and Climate Change Canada spokesman Gabrielle Lamontagne said, "there are no plans for the Canadian government to pick up waste in Malaysia. "He added that Canada received no information about any shipment of waste from Canada to Malaysia, and said the ministry has reached out to the Malaysian government for details.There was no indication of how much of the plastic waste was of Canadian origin.Foreign waste has emerged as a cause for diplomatic friction in recent months within Southeast Asia. The Philippines recalled diplomats to Canada in May over illegally disposed household waste from Canada that was not returned to Canada by the deadline.The Canadian government reached a deal last month with Manila to take back the household waste, which is expected to be in Canada by late June.Earlier this week, Canada announced plans to ban some single-use plastics like straws, bags and cutlery by early 2021 to reduce non-recyclable waste and protect the world's oceans.
June 13, 2019 19:30 UTC
BELGRADE (Reuters) - Serbia coach Mladen Krstajic and the Balkan nation's football association (FSS) parted company by mutual consent after a patchy start to their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign, the soccer governing body said on Thursday. Krstajic came under fire after Serbia made a group-stage exit in the 2018 World Cup and despite winning their pool in the Nations League Group C, pressure intensified after they suffered a 5-0 mauling by Ukraine in Euro 2020 qualifying on Friday. "We thank Krstajic for his efforts and especially on his Nations League accomplishments. Serbia are third in Euro 2020 qualifying Group B with four points from three games, behind Luxembourg on goal difference and six adrift of leaders Ukraine. A group of nations, including Serbia, China, five EU members and Russia, refuse to recognise it.
June 13, 2019 18:45 UTC
Pakistan looked sloppy in their defeat by Australia in Taunton, where Sarfaraz Ahmed's team dropped catches, one by the skipper himself, in a display plagued by misfields including over-throws. In contrast, India out-fielded Australia in their victory at the Oval on Sunday. "Fielding, I'd say, is vital in every match," Sridhar told reporters at Trent Bridge after India's match against New Zealand was washed out. Sarfaraz has warned his team that they cannot afford to be so sloppy on the field against India. "Our fielding is not up to the mark and we will work hard on that before the India match."
June 13, 2019 16:52 UTC
MONTPELLIER, France (Reuters) - Brazil's Marta became the first player to score at five different soccer World Cups when she put her team 1-0 ahead in their Group C game against Australia in the women's tournament on Thursday. The 33-year-old netted a record-extending 16th World Cup goal from the penalty spot after having already scored at the 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015 tournaments. (Writing by Julien Pretot; Editing by Toby Davis)
June 13, 2019 16:52 UTC
PETALING JAYA: Datuk Lokman Noor Adam (pic) was arrested after refusing to cooperate with the police when they went to search his house on Thursday (June 13). Selangor CID chief Senior Asst Comm Fadzil Ahmat said that a police team went to his house in Kajang Hillpark in the afternoon. "During the search, he (Lokman) was instructed to hand over his phone for inspection but he refused to cooperate. He also shouted at the officer doing his duty there," SAC Fadzil said when contacted. Follow-up investigations are ongoing," said SAC Fadzil.
June 13, 2019 16:28 UTC
(Reuters) - Olympique Lyonnais women's team have parted ways with manager Reynald Pedros by mutual consent, the Ligue 1 champions announced on Thursday. Pedros, a former midfielder, was named the best women's coach in the world by FIFA last year for his achievements at Lyon. His final match in charge was the 4-1 win over Barcelona in Budapest last month to clinch the club's record sixth Champions League title. Lyon, regarded by many as the greatest club side in women's football, have also won a record 17 league titles and 10 French Cups. A number of their players are involved in the women's World Cup which is being hosted in France until July 7.
June 13, 2019 14:48 UTC
(Reuters) - More than 1.5 million supporters are expected to attend matches at the World Cup in France as the tournament is poised to set a new benchmark for the rising popularity of the women's game, according to a study published on Thursday. Research conducted by Women's World Cup in Numbers https://www.womensworldcupinnumbers.com, which looks at the trends and numbers behind the growth of the men's and women's World Cups since 1991, shows attendance figures are set to peak at a record 1,716,000 across 52 matches. The previous edition in Canada four years ago saw more than 1.3 million spectators attend games. More than 270,000 fans have attended the opening six days, which have already seen the United States, the defending champions, seal a record 13-0 victory over Thailand in Reims. The 45,000-seater Parc des Princes in Paris was packed as the hosts defeated South Korea 4-0 in their opener last week.
June 13, 2019 14:15 UTC