Many must be wondering why Lee Chong Wei wants to play badminton again after being diagnosed with nose cancer. Chong Wei tells StarSport’s TAN MING WAI the reasons behind his comeback and hopes that playing badminton again will erase the painful memories of his struggles with nose cancer. “I really want to go for one more Olympics to make it my fifth consecutive appearance,” said Chong Wei. I wasn’t aware of the call as I was resting after a tiring training session in the morning,” Chong Wei recounted. “This close friend of mine told me to go to Taiwan as the country is well-known for treating nose cancer patients.
December 11, 2018 00:00 UTC
In past cases, “hardcore and serial” harassers could be very clever in stopping their victims from getting proof of the harassment, she added. For that reason, although Section 509 of the Penal Code clearly allows sexual harassers to be charged with insulting a person’s modesty, Yeoh said the burden of proof – beyond reasonable doubt – is too high. Yeoh said one of the aims of the Sexual Harassment Bill, which her ministry will table in Parliament next year, would be to make it easier to charge these harassers in court. She said between 2015 and last year, 47 sexual harassment cases were reported in the public service sector but none were taken to court. Women Development Department director-general Datuk Saidatu Akhma Hassan, who was present, said the discussion and decisions at the event would be used as input in drafting the Sexual Harassment Bill.
December 11, 2018 00:00 UTC
As a result, its concessionnaire Prestariang Bhd was hammered down, wiping out nearly 33% of its share value in just a single trading day. Panic selling ensued in the Prestariang counter after news broke that the RM3.5bil Sistem Kawalan Imigresen Nasional (SKIN) – the immigration and national border control project – had been scrapped. However, a source close to the management told StarBiz that Prestariang had “little to worry”, as the company would likely gain all future earnings of SKIN as its compensation. “This would protect Prestariang against the recent decision by the Home Ministry to cancel the border control project. It was also reported that the new border control project would be accorded via open tender.
December 10, 2018 23:37 UTC
PETALING JAYA: Human Resources Minister M. Kulasegaran has quashed allegations that Top Glove Corporation Berhad overworked its employees. “They (Top Glove) have a mechanism of taking care of the workers and based on my ministry’s knowledge, they work within the framework of the law,” he said, adding that the rubber glove producer had not done anything wrong. He said according to the Employment (Limitation of Overtime Work) Regulations 1980, workers are entitled to no more than 104 hours of overtime per month. The reports had stated that Top Glove and another glove manufacturer, WRP, supplied their products to Britain’s National Health Service. Lim said as the country’s largest exporter of rubber gloves, it practised good business ethics, integrity, honesty and transparency.
December 10, 2018 23:26 UTC
PETALING JAYA: Lembaga Tabung Haji (TH) gave returns for deposits as high as 8.25%, a move which also turned out to be a reason for its poor financial state of affairs. Towards this end, the plan has also outlined measures to improve the liquidity and financial position of Tabung Haji. It suggested Tabung Haji to review the contracts for existing deposit products and set a savings limit of RM200,000 for depositors. Due to the demand for high hibah distribution, the report said Tabung Haji had been pressured to seek high risk, high return ventures. Related stories:Umno Youth: Mujahid must stop making such statementsThe past and present key players of Tabung HajiTH distributing dividends illegally since 2014, says MujahidReview finds Tabung Haji in dire straitsPwC: TH didn’t make impairment on decline in investments’ valuePwC also proposing measures to reinstate confidence in Tabung Haji
December 10, 2018 23:24 UTC
Chip supplier Qualcomm Inc said on Monday it had won an order from a Chinese court banning the sale of several older Apple Inc iPhone models in China because of two patent violations, although Apple said its phones remained on sale.The preliminary order from the Fuzhou Intermediate People’s Court, issued last week, affects the iPhone 6S through the iPhone X that were originally sold with older versions of Apple's iOS operating system. It is not clear what the ruling means for phones with Apple's newer operating system, and Apple said all iPhone models remained for sale in China. The trio of models released in September were not part of the case.China, Hong Kong and Taiwan are Apple's third-largest market, accounting for about one-fifth of Apple's $265.6 billion in sales in its most recent fiscal year.The Chinese case is part of a global patent fight between Apple and Qualcomm that includes dozens of lawsuits. Apple is a direct competitor to the biggest companies in China, whereas Qualcomm is a supplier,” Robinson said.Qualcomm officials said tensions between the two nations had no bearing on the ruling. The company has had its share of troubles in China, from an unfavorable 2014 antitrust ruling to regulatory limbo that doomed its $44 billion bid for Dutch chipmaker NXP Semiconductors.
December 10, 2018 22:41 UTC
NEW YORK: A gauge of global equities stumbled on Monday, as losses in Europe and Asia extended to Wall Street on new signs world economic growth was being curbed by the U.S.-China trade spat, but was off early lows as U.S. stocks turned positive.Confusion stemming from British Prime Minister Theresa May's abrupt decision on Monday to delay a vote on her Brexit deal weighed heavily on European shares. "The news of the day is clearly the delay in the Brexit vote. The dollar index rose 0.72 percent.MSCI's all-country index was on pace for its fifth straight decline and is down nearly 6 percent over that period, its worst five-day stretch since February. The pan-European STOXX 600 index lost 1.87 percent and MSCI's gauge shed 0.83 percent.Last week's arrest of the chief financial officer of Chinese smartphone maker Huawei Technologies Co Ltd [HWT.UL] for extradition to the United States was seen as another hurdle to resolution of the trade war brewing between the world's two biggest economies.U.S. U.S. crude settled down 3.1 percent at $51 per barrel and Brent was last at $$59.97, down 2.8 percent, on the day.
December 10, 2018 21:22 UTC
MILAN (Reuters) - Inter Milan midfielders Radja Nainggolan and Matias Vecino are both set to miss Tuesday's vital Champions League match against PSV Eindhoven, coach Luciano Spalletti told reporters. Inter will qualify for the last 16 as Group B runners-up if they better Tottenham Hotspur's result in Barcelona. He probably won't be available for the match while Nainggolan needs to work for a few more days to not be at risk of his injury repeating itself," said Spalletti. "This match is the most important one since I've been here," added Spalletti, who led Inter back into the Champions League after a six-year absence in his first season at the club. "Inter certainly hasn't lost a sense of conviction even if we showed some small lapses in concentration in the last game over the course of the 90 minutes," he added.
December 10, 2018 16:30 UTC
Napoli could even lose and still go through if PSG lose to Red Star Belgrade. Should Neymar and co prevail in Serbia, Liverpool would need to win 1-0 or by two goals or more due to pip Napoli on their head-to-head record. Liverpool's Egypt striker Mo Salah certainly looks capable having scored a superb hat-trick at Bournemouth in the Premier League on Saturday. If Napoli, PSG and Liverpool all finish on nine points, the Merseyside club would finish top with second place determined by the scoreline at Anfield. Mauricio Pochettino's team also do not necessarily need a win, as merely matching Inter's result will do.
December 10, 2018 15:45 UTC
(Reuters) - Sadio Mane will be ready to start in Tuesday's must-win Champions League group stage clash with Napoli, according to manager Juergen Klopp who has called on the home supporters to deliver an electric atmosphere. "Sadio can deal with the pain obviously -- it looked like that in Bournemouth, so that's cool," Klopp told a news conference on Monday. Liverpool are third in Group C with six points, three behind Napoli and two behind Paris St Germain who they lost to a fortnight ago. They need to either win 1-0 or by two goals or more to pip Napoli on head-to-head. The manager also expects midfielder Adam Lallana to feature after the player felt no ill-effects from a head injury he sustained against Bournemouth.
December 10, 2018 15:22 UTC
The queries arose from Malaysia's claim earlier that day that the matter had only come to its attention two months ago, in October 2018. The ministry's clarification came a few hours after Malaysia's Transport Ministry said on Monday (Dec 10) that the disclosure by the Singapore transport ministry was "only partial and selective with the primary aim of influencing public opinion". In response, Singapore's transport ministry said: "Singapore's view is that it would be useful for negotiations to be kept confidential to facilitate frank and constructive exchanges. This is why we have not released any other correspondence between Singapore and Malaysia on this matter. – The Straits Times/Asia News NetworkRelated story:Transport Ministry: Singapore being 'selective' when disclosing information about ILS
December 10, 2018 15:11 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR: Any ongoing disciplinary action against university students over political activities will be dropped with immediate effect following amendments to the Universities and University Colleges Act 1971 (UUCA), says Education Minister Dr Maszlee Malik. For ongoing court cases of students involved in politics, Dr Maszlee said that the government would ensure that the cases are discontinued, if any. "The freedom given to university students comes with responsibility and accountability. "However, I believe in the spirit of the new Malaysia, the vice-chancellors will consider such requests and allow it," added Dr Maszlee. He added that he believed that students are matured enough to divide their time between their studies and political activities.
December 10, 2018 14:25 UTC
KOTA KINABALU: Nineteen people, including 18 Korean tourists, sustained injuries following a tour bus mishap in Kota Belud on Monday (Dec 10). Sabah Fire and Rescue Department operation chief Khatizah Rahaban said the accident happened at Jalan Kelawat at about 5.30pm. "According to initial information, the tour bus skidded off the steep road as it was going down," she said in a statement. It is learnt that the 18 tourists and the driver all sustained injuries of varying degrees. "The victims were given preliminary medical treatment at the scene before medical teams took them to the Kota Belud Hospital," Khatizah said on Monday.
December 10, 2018 13:41 UTC
KOTA KINABALU: Sabah wants joint operations to be conducted to eliminate cross-border threats, especially towards people in the state. Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal said cross-border criminals such as kidnappers were continuously coming to Sabah to commit crimes, attack people and kidnap victims. He said it was time to stop merely defending, but start taking proactive measures for the safety of all in Sabah. Shafie said this during a press conference after a meeting with district officers here Monday (Dec 10). "The incident happened in Sabah, the victims involved are Indonesians and the criminals are from the Philippines.
December 10, 2018 13:41 UTC
Five-year-old Sibu girl bitten in the face by cobraSIBU (Bernama): A five-year-old girl was bitten on the face by a black cobra while watching television in the family's living room at Jalan Aping Lorong 1, Hui Huang Housing Estate here Monday (Dec 10) afternoon. A Sarawak Fire and Rescue Department operation room spokesman said once they were alerted of the 1.32pm incident, seven firemen from the Sibu Sentral Fire and Rescue Station rushed to the scene to render assistance. The victim was attended to by paramedics before she was rushed to the Sibu Hospital but the extent of her injuries is not known. The one-metre long cobra also known as ular belalang to the Ibans, was later captured and released back into its original habitat.
December 10, 2018 13:18 UTC