Romania's flag and Egypt's flag - CCCAIRO - 15 October 2017: Romanian Ambassador to Egypt Mihai Ștefan Stuparu asserted that Egypt plays a pivotal role in Romania's strategy that aims at developing its relations with Africa and Middle East states.In a special interview with MENA on Sunday, Stuparu said the recent period witnessed positive developments in bilateral ties between Egypt and Romania.On the sidelines of the meetings of UNGA in New York in September, Romanian President Klaus Iohannis conferred with President Abdel Fattah El Sisi on boosting relations between Egypt on the one hand and the European Union and Romania on the other hand in addition to enhancing cooperation in the field of combating terror and solving disputes in Libya and Syria, he said.Both presidents agreed on exchanging visits to boost joint political dialogue, said he.The Romanian president asserts his appreciation of Egypt's role in maintaining stability in the Middle East, he added.On the investment climate in Egypt, Stuparu said the Egyptian government adopted structural reforms to develop economic legislative framework to provide job opportunities in the fields of energy, mining resources, infrastructure, industry, trade and agriculture.
October 15, 2017 09:33 UTC
KUALA LUMPUR: PAS has reiterated its call to the government to immediately set up a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) to probe the Memali tragedy in 1985. Its deputy president, Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man, said many confusing statements had been made about the issue and a fair and transparent investigation should be held to unravel the truth. He said the party, through its Legal and Human Rights Bureau (LUHAM), would organise an event on Nov 19 in Memali, Kedah, in conjunction with the anniversary of the tragedy, to clarify the issue. On Aug 24, Prime Minister Najib Razak, after chairing the Umno supreme council meeting, said the government did not discount the possibility of setting up the RCI on the Memali incident to uncover the truth and facts. In the Memali incident on Nov 19, 1985, 18 people, including four policemen, were killed and many others injured when police launched an operation to arrest preacher Ibrahim Mahmud, also known as Ibrahim Libya.
October 15, 2017 01:07 UTC
Salloum crossing - File photoMARSA MATROUH, Egypt - 15 October 2017: As many as 211 Egyptians have returned home from Libya via Salloum crossing over the past 24 hours, Marsa Matrouh security chief Hisham Nasr said.Out of all the returnees, 30 Egyptians had illegally traveled to Libya, he added.Meanwhile, travel procedures for 471 persons, including 91 Egyptians and 380 Libyans, have been finalized, Nasr noted.He added that 122 trucks arrived at the terminal from Libya to be loaded with Egyptian goods.
October 14, 2017 22:41 UTC
ReutersThe Islamic State is using sex slaves to gather funds and attract more recruits, including abusers and rapists. "Religious elements are infused into sexual violence practices to skirt around the moral wrongdoing of rape," the study revealed. Malik's research said that the link between sexual violence, trafficking and terrorism has not been given much attention. He said the "interconnectivity between human trafficking, sexual violence and terrorism" must be given attention. "It is clear that sexual violence is prevalent in human trafficking and in terrorism – and abhorrently human trafficking is becoming more closely related to terrorism," he added.
October 14, 2017 20:03 UTC
Moroccan illegal immigrants at Tripoli Detention Center have declared an open hunger strike to protest their country’s failure to facilitate their return back home. The Illegal Immigration Agency in Tripoli said the immigrants started their hunger strike on October 12 after their country rejected to take the necessary procedures to repatriate them via Mitiga Airport. In a video posted online, one of the Moroccan immigrants appealed to his government to intervene and help around 70 immigrants to go back home.
October 14, 2017 17:48 UTC
The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, has described human rights conditions in Libya as characterized by massive violations, saying perpetrators are totally out of punishment’s scope. In a statement issued Thursday on the UNSMIL’s website after his visit to Tripoli, the human rights chief said thousands of people are arbitrarily held in detention centers across the country. “I call on the government to establish alternatives to detention in Libya, to put an end to the practice of arbitrary detention and to report on abuses committed against migrants in detention centers.” He stressed. He also explained that autonomous detention centers are a source of concern and need to be handled urgently as many horrific stories are coming from there. The High Commissioner for Human Rights also reiterated – after a meeting with Fayez Al-Sirraj – support for Libya in recovering from the current dilemma, pointing out that terrorism and illegitimate armed groups are still a threat to human rights in the country.
October 14, 2017 15:00 UTC
The Municipal Council of Sabratha has called for early local elections on Thursday. In a statement published on Facebook, the Municipal Council urged that public interest is put first, the preservation of public constants is maintained and cooperation is made to build the city and support the military and police establishments. The Council called for the need to achieve a comprehensive reconciliation and the formation of an expanded social council that includes all segments of the city away from the flourishing policy of “who opposes me is a traitor”.
October 14, 2017 14:15 UTC
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aqila Salah, whilst addressing the UN envoy to Libya Ghassan Salame, requested that the UN should not consider any decisions made by the Presidential Council, which are issued in violation of the political agreement. Salah continued by saying that the HoR should be considered as the only legislature at this time, and described the decisions of the Presidential Council in regards to appointing positions and administrative changes as an aim by the Presidential Council to control state institutions, which Salah regards as a threat to the chances of an agreement or stability in Libya.
The adviser to the Minister of Defense and former deputy Chief of Staff, Major General Suleiman Obeidi, said that the army's leadership should not be the monopoly of one man. Obeidi pointed out that Dignity Operation commander Khalifa Haftar had no role in the revolution and that his military history is not an honorable one after his defeat in Chad. In a statement on his official Facebook page, Obeidi confirmed that the army's top leadership worldwide is under civilian authority, headed by one person for only 4 years only before retiring. He added that the head of the army should not be chosen on a tribal basis, but for his efficiency and qualifications for the position.
The Libyan mini-football team has left the World Minifootball Federation World Cup in Tunisia when they lost to the Hungarian team 3-2 in the quarter-finals of the tournament held in the city of Nabeul Tunisia. The Libyan team scored the two goals through Mohamed Bahloul and Ali Shushan before the Hungarian team drew the score in the second half, and won the game in extra time. It is worth noting that this participation is the first ever for the Libyan mini-football team abroad.
The head of the Detention Center of Illegal Immigrants in Gharyan, Abdul Hamid Muftah, described the situation for thousands of immigrants who were transferred to Gharyan during the armed clashes in Sabratha as a tragedy. Reuters quoted Muftah as saying that children and pregnant women are among the thousands of immigrants in the center and they are in dire need of medical assistance. Muftah appealed to all international and local organizations to consider the humanitarian conditions of these immigrants, calling on all organizations to send their human rights monitors to the center.
The spokesman for the Special Deterrence Force in Tripoli, Ahmed Ben Salem, stated that they have come to an agreement with Tunisian authorities on the extradition of female Tunisian prisoners held in Mitiga Priosn. Ben Salem told the Tunisian newspaper Al-Sabah that an agreement had been reached to extradite twenty one Tunisian children after Tamim Jendoubi was handed over to his family successfully on Tuesday. The Tunisian child Tamim El Jendoubi was handed over to his grandfather by order of the Public Prosecutors Office, in the presence of the Tunisian Consul in Tripoli and Deputy Director of the Consular Affairs Department at the Libyan Foreign Ministry. Those women and children held in Mitiga Prison are families of ISIS members who were killed or captured by the Bunyan Marsoos Operation and the Libyan security forces.
The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) has provided food to families from Sabratha who were displaced as a result of the clashes that took place a few days ago. "With the assistance of our Libyan partners, the World Food Program is providing food assistance to 1,500 people who have been severely affected by the sporadic clashes". The WFP Regional Director for Libya, Richard Ragan, was quoted as saying. Ragan added that the conflict had caused many normal systems that people depend on to meet their daily needs to stop. He concluded by saying that the WFP's support gives hope to the most needy and provides them with life-saving food aid at a time when they need urgent support.
RAWALPINDI: British Army Chief of General Staff (CGS) General Sir Nicholas Patrick Carter was the chief guest at the passing out parade of the 136th PMA long course, 36th graduate course, 29th technical graduate course and integrated course 55, held at the Pakistan Military Academy (PMA) Kakul on Saturday. General Carter reviewed the parade, gave awards to distinguished cadets and later addressed the participants. The coveted Sword of Honour was awarded to company senior under Officer Abdul Hanan Mustafa of the 136th Long Course. PMA Commandant Major General Abdullah Dogar was also present on the occasion. A large number of senior serving and retired armed forces personnel and parents and relatives of passing out cadets also witnessed the parade ceremony.
October 14, 2017 13:07 UTC
Libyan military commander Khalifa Haftar - File photoCAIRO – 14October 2017: The Libyan commander-in-chief, Khalifa Haftar, held the first security conference by the Libyan armed forces in Benghazi on Saturday. “The armed forces currently have full control over 1.7 million square kilometers,” Haftar announced.That includes the area between Zawara, a port city in northwestern Libya, and the borders of the Zawia, a northwestern city situated on the Libyan coastline of the Mediterranean Sea.Haftar stated that only 300,000 square kilometers are out of the army’s control, adding that the country is experiencing a fierce conflict between “life advocates and death advocates, the light and the dark, development and backwardness, humanity and its enemies.”Haftar said that the current stage in Libya gives the highest priority to establishing security, and the role of security and military institutions surpasses the role of all other institutions within the framework of the law and human rights.“We achieved victory over terrorism due to God's support, and the willpower of our combat forces,” Haftar said.Haftar stressed that the most prominent phenomenon threatening Libya’s security and stability for now is the widespread use of firearms and the militant groups stating that the citizens’ security is part of the war on terror.The Libyan commander-in-chief demanded a further understanding of the security threat challenging the country, saying that a lack of security would weaken the citizens’ willpower, propagate fragmentation, and incur the loss of all sacrifices made by the Libyan army and people.Haftar said that the Libyan military institution is developing its security policy and renovating its mechanisms to achieve victory in the security battle. “Victory in the security battle is our only option. The reestablishment of various forms of security is the basis for the aspired development and restoration of certain sectors by the people,” Haftar stipulated.Haftar pledged to not tolerate those who compromise Libya’s security saying, “No immunity for anyone who targets our people’s security. No escape for such people from our grip, justice, and law.”Haftar concluded by emphasizing the importance of dialogue to resolve the ongoing political crisis, and to reach alternatives backed by the Libyan people.
October 14, 2017 12:11 UTC