A confrontation with Elfezqa ensued, during which Al Maghrbi was stabbed and left in danger of dying. He had pushed Al Maghrbi, he said. Wadea al Maghrbi and Mohamed Abdul Hafid Abukem had entered [the accused’s] residence and not simply stood in the doorway. Moreover, Al Maghrbi and Abukem had been armed with a knife each and the former also with a metal pipe. It was probable that Al Maghrbi was injured with his own knife when the accused had twisted his arm, said the court.
December 07, 2018 13:30 UTC
Logo of COMESASHARM EL SHEIKH, Egypt - 7 December 2018: Sudan and Ethiopia have received more than 60 percent of the total investments of the Egyptian companies in the 21 member states of the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) at a value of $2.7 billion, according to a report issued by the COMESA Regional Investment Agency (RIA).The total value of the Egyptian investments in the COMESA countries are estimated at $4.37 billion, said the report which was prepared in cooperation with the Financial Times.The Egyptian investments were concentrated in eight countries out of the COMESA 21 member states, added the report of which MENA obtained a copy.Sudan topped the countries in which Egypt’s investments are concentrated at a value of $1.8 billion, representing 41% of Egypt’s total investments in the organization’s countries followed by Ethiopia with investments amounting to $980 million, said the report.The report ranked Zambia as the third country in terms of the Egyptian investments, followed by Libya, then Burundi, then Kenya followed by Eswatini and then Rwanda.According to the report, the figures were registered during the period from 2003 to 2018, covering 38 projects that offered more than 11,750 job opportunities.
December 07, 2018 10:07 UTC
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has received another batch of 193 stranded Nigerians from Libya. Mr Segun Afolayan, Acting Zonal Coordinator, NEMA, South West Zone, confirmed the development to the newsmen on Friday in Lagos. He said the returnees were assisted back home by the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) under its Assisted Voluntary Return Programme. Afolayan the returnees comprised 81 female adults, one female child and 14 female infants. Afolayan urged Nigerians to stop stigmatising returnees who went outside the country in search of greener pastures.
December 07, 2018 08:57 UTC
Rescue and relief organisations SOS Mediterranee and Doctors Without Borders (MSF) have announced they are ending the Aquarius refugee rescue mission in the Mediterranean Sea after what they call "a relentless ongoing political, judicial and administrative campaign backed by several European states". "The Aquarius has helped in filling the void in the Mediterranean and now the repeated unacceptable attacks resulted in stopping it," she added. "Today, search and rescue at sea is nearly non-existent, portraying the failure of Europe." The route between Libya and Italy is the world's deadliest sea route for migrants and refugees, according to the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR). 181114144641204In June, Italy's new Interior Minister Matteo Salvini blocked the Aquarius, carrying 629 refugees and migrants, from docking at its ports.
December 07, 2018 07:11 UTC
Whether or not Libya is exempted from a potential oil output cut agreement by Opec+ producers, oil production in the North African nation remains volatile and started December with an estimated drop of 300,000 barrels per day (Bpd). State oil company NOC said last Friday a number of export terminals had been closed due to bad weather conditions, with loading operations postponed. As a result, the firm reported a drop in production of 150,000 Bpd, with a potential upside of 50,000 Bpd due to a shortage of additional tank capacity. On Wednesday, NOC confirmed the country had closed all of its oil ports and, with storage oil tanks filling up at the terminals, it shut in another 150,000 Bpd. That corresponds to a 50% reduction in the production volume of the Sharara oilfield, the largest in the country.
December 07, 2018 06:56 UTC
Search and rescue ship Aquarius, which has saved tens of thousands of migrants from drowning in the Mediterranean, has ended its operations, said Médecins Sans Frontières, the charity that runs the ship. MSF and its partner SOS Mediterranee said they were forced to terminate its operations due to a “smear campaign” by European governments. The ship has been blocked at the French port of Marseilles since it lost its Panamanian registration at the end of September. The Aquarius was the last charity rescue ship operating off of Libya. Italian magistrates in November accused MSF of illegally dumping toxic waste at ports in southern Italy and ordered Aquarius to be impounded.
December 07, 2018 00:56 UTC
Political scribes: Democrats Have a Hispanic ProblemFlorida’s Republican Gov. Rick Scott has spent years courting his state’s Hispanic voters “as if his political career depended on it” — and it did, suggest Politico’s Michael Grunwald and Marc Caputo. Last month, that effort was key to his upset win over Sen. Bill Nelson and that of GOP gubernatorial candidate Ron DeSantis over Andrew Gillum. Clearly, Democrats “have a Hispanic problem in America’s largest swing state,” which could help President Trump win re-election. That, says Lake, “is a big deal,” undermining President Trump and pressuring the State Department “to sanction the de facto head of the Saudi state.” But Riyadh still has the oil weapon, so whether Graham’s gambit will work remains to be seen.
December 06, 2018 22:07 UTC
Marseille – As refugees, migrants and asylum seekers continue to die in the Mediterranean Sea, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and its partner SOS MEDITERRANEE have been forced to terminate operations by the search and rescue vessel Aquarius. Over the past two months, with people continuing to flee by sea along the world’s deadliest migration route, the Aquarius has remained in port, unable to carry out its humanitarian work. This is the result of a sustained campaign, spearheaded by the Italian government and backed by other European states, to delegitimise, slander and obstruct aid organisations providing assistance to vulnerable people. Coupled with the EU’s ill-conceived external policies on migration, this campaign has undermined international law and humanitarian principles. With no immediate solution to these attacks, MSF and SOS MEDITERRANEE have no choice but to end operations by the Aquarius.
December 06, 2018 21:11 UTC
Source: Xinhua| 2018-12-07 03:43:31|Editor: yanVideo Player CloseTRIPOLI, Dec. 6 (Xinhua) -- UN Higher Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) on Thursday said that 133 refugees, including women and children, have been evacuated from Libya to Niger. "The UN Refugee Agency, in coordination with Libyan authorities, evacuated 133 refugees from Libya to Niger today after hosting them at a Gathering and Departure Facility (GDF) which opened in Tripoli on Tuesday," the UN Support Mission in Libya said in a statement. "At the facility, UNHCR and partners are providing humanitarian assistance such as accommodation, food, medical care and psychosocial support. Shelters in Libya are crowded with thousands of illegal immigrants rescued at sea or arrested by the Libyan security services. During a visit to Libya in June, UNHCR commissioner Filippo Grandi said international pledges to resettle 25,000 illegal immigrants from Libya are moving slowly.
December 06, 2018 19:52 UTC
Here is a recap of Thursday news headlines from The Libya ObserverExchange Rates http://lyo.ly/5ac7 killed and over 500 injured in gunfights in Benghazi http://lyo.ly/ce1Haftar back in Italy three weeks after Palermo http://lyo.ly/ce4Mayor of Sabha: Fuel crisis in the city winding down http://lyo.ly/ce5National Centre for Disease Control declares kick-off of vaccination campaign http://lyo.ly/cefSecurity Directorate in Sirte recovers human remains from liberation war http://lyo.ly/cebHCS postpones meeting for further debate with HoR http://lyo.ly/cecUNSMIL stresses need for UN office in Benghazi http://lyo.ly/cedHNEC head discusses with UN Humanitarian Coordinator preparations for coming elections http://lyo.ly/ceeHaftar and Conte discuss support for UN envoy and Palermo Conference http://lyo.ly/cegConstitution referendum in Libya in late February 2019 http://lyo.ly/cehAl-Ahi Benghazi qualifies for second round of CAF Champions League http://lyo.ly/cei
December 06, 2018 18:22 UTC
Libya's electoral commission could organise a referendum on a new constitution for the strife-torn country in February if it gets security guarantees and funds, its head said on Thursday. "It is possible to organise a referendum on the constitution... towards the end of February," commission chief Imed al-Sayeh told a news conference. But in order to hold a referendum security guarantees -- which he said are a "major challenge" -- must be met and the commission also needs funds. A referendum on a new constitution for Libya should pave the way for much delayed legislative and presidential elections in the country. The electoral commission is considered to be one of the few credible and independent institutions in the country.
December 06, 2018 18:22 UTC
Libya’s Al-Ahli Benghazi qualified Wednesday to CAF Champions League after beating FC Nouadhibou from Mauritania in Cairo. Thus, Libya has now four teams which qualified to second round matches of CAF competitions. A-Ahi Benghazi won 2-0 over the Mauritanian team, which was the winner of the first leg match n Nouakchott. In the second round of CAF Champions League, Al-Ahli Benghazi will play South Africa’s Mamelodi Sundowns in Johannesburg and Cairo. First leg matches are going to be on 14-15-16 December, while second leg ones will be on 18-19-20 December.
December 06, 2018 17:26 UTC
The Chairman of the Libyan High National Elections Commission (HNEC) Emad Al-Sayeh said in a press conference on Thursday that he expects the referendum for the Libyan constitution to be held late next February. Al-Sayeh said he coordinated with the Head of Supreme Council of Judiciary in Libya to finalize the referendum law and implementation. “We won’t take any step forward with the process of referendum unless all locations of the HNEC are secured.” Al-Sayeh added. He said they had informed 20 countries of the process so Libyans can vote abroad. The House of Representatives passed a referendum law that divides Libya into three-region-based electoral zones with 50+1 vote rate from each region as the criterion for passing the constitution.
December 06, 2018 17:15 UTC
For the Christmas/New Year’s editions (December 20 and 27), all Waterbury Record, News & Citizen, Stowe Reporter and BANG/combination display and classified ads are due Friday, Dec. 14, at noon. All editorial materials are due Friday, Dec. 14, at noon. For the January 3, 2019, edition, all Waterbury Record ads and Stowe Reporter and News & Citizen real estate and BANG/combination ads are due Thursday, Dec. 27, at noon. Stowe Reporter and News & Citizen display and classified ads are due Friday, Dec. 28, at noon. The Stowe Reporter and News & Citizen offices will be closed Tuesday, Dec. 25, for the Christmas holiday and Tuesday, Jan. 1, for the New Year’s holiday.
December 06, 2018 16:52 UTC
HNEC commences permanent constitution referendum processBy Sami Zaptia. London, 6 December 2018:Libya’s High National Election Commission (HNEC) commenced the process of holding the constitutionally required referendum on the country’s draft permanent constitution today. Sayeh said that the 45-article Referendum Law (Law No.6), which was officially received by HNEC on 29 November from the House of Representatives (HoR), was not perfect. However, he reiterated that HNEC had set four preconditions for holding this referendum: political agreement; a referendum law; financial backing and security. On political agreement, he said that the referendum law now exists and that his organization will proceed, but he noted that despite the passing of the Referendum Law by the HoR, HNEC had received little overt political support for holding the referendum.
December 06, 2018 15:00 UTC