MONTREAL — Engineering giant SNC-Lavalin has reached agreement to pay restitution to seven Quebec municipalities for obtaining contracts through questionable means. Neil Bruce, CEO of the Montreal-based engineering and construction firm, says the settlements under the province's voluntary reimbursement program are "final and fair." The provincial government launched the program in November 2015 aimed at recovering money paid in connection with public contracts obtained as a result of fraud or fraudulent tactics. SNC-Lavalin (TSX:SNC) says it has reached agreement with Montreal, Quebec, Laval, Levis, Longueuil, Deux-Montagnes and the municipality of Saint-Cyprien. Under the reimbursement program, companies repay at least 20 per cent of the value of the contracts plus a 10 per cent administrative charge.
December 11, 2017 16:07 UTC
Photo: Alessandro Fucarini/AFPSicily on Monday welcomed nearly 900 migrants rescued in Mediterranean waters off the coast of Libya in the past few days, with many expressing relief at having escaped the "Libyan hell". More than 330 migrants rescued by Italian coast guard and other European vessels have already disembarked at Sicilian ports, Italian media reported. #TogetherForRescue pic.twitter.com/cuk6GFdd6C — SOS MEDITERRANEE ITA (@SOSMedItalia) December 10, 2017Libya has long been a major transit hub for migrants trying to reach Europe. The number of migrants and refugees who have arrived in Europe this year – nearly 164,000 – is less than half of last year's total of 348,000. The flow has been stemmed by controversial deals between the EU, Turkey and Libya.
December 11, 2017 15:45 UTC
Sicily on Monday welcomed nearly 900 migrants rescued in Mediterranean waters off the coast of Libya in the past few days, with many expressing relief at having escaped the “Libyan hell”. More than 330 migrants rescued by Italian coast guard and other European vessels have already disembarked at Sicilian ports, Italian media reported. Libya has long been a major transit hub for migrants trying to reach Europe. “I would rather die than return to prison,” a 25-year-old from Cameroon said, according to SOS Mediterranean. The number of migrants and refugees who have arrived in Europe this year — nearly 164,000 — is less than half of last year’s total of 348,000.
December 11, 2017 15:45 UTC
Ramzi Abdulhafid Ib Abukem, 35, was accused of committing aggravated theft, as well as other chargesA Libyan national was today arraigned before magistrate Gabriella Vella accused of having, on 27 October, committed theft aggravated by violence to a victim's detriment, and having confined the victim against his will.Ramzi Abdulhafid Ib Abukem, 35, resident of St Paul’s Bay, was also accused of having been caught in possession of cocaine and of breaching his bail conditions, on 10 December at around 4am in St Paul’s Bay.The court heard how on 10 December, the police received a report of a fight at a bar in St Paul’s Bay. By the time the police arrived, the perpetrators had left the building.However, the accused, who was known to police, was found inside the bar and was noticed to have been breaking his court imposed curfew.He was then searched and found to be holding drugs in a bag in his mouth.He was arrested and also questioned about a theft he was involved in, on 27 October.Following the 27 October theft, the accused was arrested and later taken to Mount Carmel Hospital, as it was determined that he had ingested pills.He was arrested again on 10 December, both in connection with the previous theft and for being in breach of his bail conditions.The accused pleaded not guilty.The prosecution objected to the defence’s request for bail, given that he was in breach of bail conditions, that there were civilians still needing to testify and due to the gravity of the charges.The defence, in turn, argued that theft with violence did not constitute an automatic reason to deny bail.It also said that since the theft allegedly took place on 27 October, if the accused had to abscond, he would have already done so.With regards to the 10 December charge, the defence argued that this was for simple possession and would not have even resulted in an arraignment before a magistrate, but instead before a tribunal for contraventions, had there not also been the previous crime of theft.The breach of bail would only result if the accused was found guilty of the crime of theft, it argued, and it was thus not reasonable to prolong the arrest of the accused.The prosecution made the argument that the man was a foreigner without fixed ties to the island.The defence said the accused was benefitting from full refugee status, and had come to Malta to benefit from protection. There was therefore no reason why he would flee to Libya.He had also been living at the same fixed address for a number of years.After hearing the submissions for the request for bail, the court deemed that the accused did not give sufficient guarantees to ensure that he would effectively observe the bail conditions which would be imposed on him, and therefore at this stage of proceedings it was rejecting the request for bail.In view of the fact that it transpired during the hearing that the accused was admitted to Mount Carmel Hospital a number of times, the court recommended that the prison authorities ensure that the accused be duly examined by a psychiatrist in order to determine whether the accused should be detained at the hospital and not in prison during the period of preventive arrest.The case continues.Dr Kathleen Grima was legal counsel.Inspectors Matthew Spagnol and Nicholas Vella prosecuted.
December 11, 2017 15:33 UTC
The United Nations has today called on countries around the world to accept 1300 Libyan refugees locked in Libya, mostly African, many of whom are being abused and held in terrible conditions, Reuters reported. Niger has agreed to temporarily shelter the most vulnerable, including unaccompanied children and single mothers, while waiting for the resettlement procedure in other countries, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees said. The UN agency plans to evacuate between 700 and 1300 people from Libya in Niger by the end of January 2018 and called for places to be settled by the end of March. "This is a desperate call for solidarity and humanity," said Falker Turk, Deputy High Commissioner for Refugees, to bring extremely vulnerable refugees from Libya as soon as possible.
December 11, 2017 15:00 UTC
Libya ended their last Group A match of Cecafa Challenge Cup with a 1-0 victory over Zanzibar on Monday. Zakaria Al-Haraish scored the lone goal in the 24th minute of the first half. The result now leaves the Mediterranean Knights with six points, waiting for Kenya’s match against Tanzania. Kenya needs just a win to book a place in the semi-finals together with group leader Zanzibar. Tanzania and Rwanda are already out of the tournament.
December 11, 2017 14:26 UTC
The head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya, Ghassan Salama, said that indiscriminate fighting in residential areas and airstrikes this year resulted in the death or injury of at least 365 Libyans, including 79 children. This came in a statement on the occasion of World Human Rights Day. He added that the country has witnessed scores of violations on an alarming scale, amid the absence of accountability or any legal procedures. Salama expressed his concern over the difficult conditions experienced by patients and medical staff who are working under challenging security situations where 14 health facilities have been attacked this year, adding that his mission had also documented 201 illegal killings.
December 11, 2017 12:11 UTC
The United Nations (UN), the African Union (AU), the European Union (EU), and the League of Arab States (LAS) are scheduled to meet next month to discuss Libya’s situations. The announcement came during the meeting of the Secretary-General of the LAS, Ahmed Aboul Gheit, with the Chairperson of the African Union Commission, Moussa Faki, over to common issues between the two organizations, including the Libyan crisis. The Spokesman for the Secretary-General of the League of Arab States, Mahmoud Afifi, said that Aboul Gheit and Faki agreed to intensify coordination between the two organizations to support the efforts of establishing security and stability in Libya and to update the political process according to the terms of Skhirat agreement. “The leaders of the Arab League and the African Commission reiterated their commitment to continue their joint efforts within the framework of the Quartet on Libya”, said Afifi
December 11, 2017 12:00 UTC
FILE – Minister of Finance, Amr El-GarhyCAIRO - 11 December 2017: "Egypt and Libya will cooperate in work fields of the Ministry of Finance such as taxes, customs, fiscal policies and state budget," Minister of Finance Amr el-Garhy announced Monday.In a meeting with the Libyan Minister of Finance Osama Hammad, Garhy discussed economic and fiscal cooperation between both countries. "A joint committee will be formed in January 2018 for that regard," Garhy said in a statement.Garhy and Hammad tackled the outlook of joint agreements and projects that can be reached in the field of automating the state budget.Libya's finance minister called on Egypt to facilitate the passing of Libyan citizens' cars moving into the country.The Ministry of Finance is working to develop the Custom Authority through automating custom services, applying a one-stop shop system, tightening monitoring on custom outlets, raising skills of employees and reviewing the legislative part.Talks about a new custom law started to heat up in 2015 after the Customs Authority announced that a new act will entail incentives to importers, like an option allowing them to pay tax on production equipment in installments.
December 11, 2017 12:00 UTC
Posted: Dec. 11, 2017 7:00 amBERLIN (AP) Germany's Siemens says it has signed contracts worth some 700 million euros ($824 million) to build two gas-powered electricity plants in Libya. The Munich-based industrial conglomerate said Monday that the plants will be built in Misrata and Tripoli and that the value of the contracts with the state-owned General Electricity Company of Libya includes long-term service agreements. It said the deal will expand Libya's power generation capacity by about 1.3 gigawatts, but didn't specify in a statement when the new plants will start operation. The deal comes weeks after Siemens AG announced plans to cut about 6,900 jobs worldwide at its power, gas and drives divisions, half of them in Germany. It pointed to a sharp decline in earnings amid increasing pressure from renewable energy sources.
December 11, 2017 11:15 UTC
2:51 'One Pill Can Kill': Raising prescription drug awareness Pause0:35 See National Zoo's panda take a roll in the snow0:56 Watch helicopters draw water from reservoir to drop on Thomas Fire1:31 Firefighters battling largest wildfire in Southern California now must deal with "purple wind"1:32 49ers: Three players with most on the line as season nears its end2:32 Buddy Hield scores 18 against his former team in win at New Orleans1:14 Recreational weed is now legal in California. So what does that mean? 0:35 Fire rages along the 405 in L.A. as gridlock ensues1:00 Here's what you want to have ready to go in case of evacuation
December 11, 2017 11:15 UTC
- Advertisement -The United Nations appealed on Monday to countries worldwide to take in 1,300 mainly African refugees stranded in Libya, many of them mistreated while kept in appalling conditions in detention. “In order to address the immediate protection needs and extreme vulnerabilities of the persons of concern who will be evacuated to Niger, UNHCR urgently requests 1,300 places for resettlement for this situation,” the agency said. The UNHCR intends to evacuate between 700 and 1,300 people from Libya to Niger by the end of January 2018, it said, calling for the resettlement places to be made available by the end of March. - Advertisement -A first group of 25 refugees from Eritrea, Ethiopia and Sudan were evacuated from Libya to Niger last month, it added. We need to get extremely vulnerable refugees out of Libya as soon as possible,” said Volker Turk, UNHCR Assistant High Commissioner for Protection.
December 11, 2017 11:15 UTC
An ISIS suicide bomber blew himself up in central Derna on Sunday after a chase by the Security Committee of Derna Shura Council. Local sources said Derna Shura Council carried out a raid on an ISIS sleeper cell before the chase. The sources added that the ISIS bomber exploded himself up after being encircled by Shura fighters. The chase came just hours after a failed attempt to assassinate Shura Council member, Moaz Tchani, by planting an explosive device under his car in the East Coast district. The entire ISIS cell was apprehended, according to the sources.
December 11, 2017 10:18 UTC
Refugees and migrants sleep on the floor at the Tariq al-Sikka detention facility in Tripoli, Libya. © UNHCR/Iason FoountenUNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, launched today an urgent appeal calling for 1,300 resettlement places to be made available by the end of March 2018 for highly vulnerable refugees stranded in Libya. We need to get extremely vulnerable refugees out of Libya as soon as possible,” said Volker Türk, UNHCR’s Assistant High Commissioner for Protection. A first group of 25 refugees of Eritrean, Ethiopian and Sudanese nationalities were evacuated from Libya to Niger last month. Vulnerable refugees are to be evacuated to Niger and hopefully other emergency transit mechanisms pending their resettlement to other countries.
December 11, 2017 10:07 UTC
We need to get extremely vulnerable refugees out of Libya as soon as possible,” said Volker Türk, UNHCR’s Assistant High Commissioner for Protection. “Given the imminent humanitarian needs and the rapidly deteriorating conditions in detention centres in Libya, UNHCR is actively working to organize more life-saving refugee evacuations to Niger in the coming weeks and months,” said Turk. A first group of 25 refugees of Eritrean, Ethiopian and Sudanese nationalities were evacuated from Libya to Niger last month. Vulnerable refugees are to be evacuated to Niger and hopefully other emergency transit mechanisms pending their resettlement to other countries. *UNHCR’s Resettlement Flash Appeal for Libya is available here
December 11, 2017 10:07 UTC