________________The Central Tripoli municipality members met on Tuesday with Tripoli-based civil societies and activists to discuss the continuous power outages in Tripoli and the ways out. ________________A number of the Italian Embassy’s employees arrived in Tripoli accompanied with a security team that is going to coordinate with the Libyan Security Department and Diplomatic Security Units in Tripoli to secure the embassy’s building and employees. It added on Tuesday that it had called on the supervising committee of the talks to communicate directly with the municipality. ________________Sources from Sirte confirmed that three Al-Bunyan Al-Marsoos personnel were killed in a car accident in Al-Rawagha, 76 km away from Sirte. ________________Oil vessel, Anwar Libya, arrived in Tripoli Port on Tuesday coming from Facilco Port in Cyprus, from which it sailed on January 06, laden with 25 thousand tons of gasoline.
________________________The spokesman of the UN-proposed government’s Presidential Council said the PC ordered the Libyan coastguards to intercept the ships that are smuggling fuel from the oil terminals once they sail into the Libyan territorial waters. ________________________Misrata Central Hospital received 6 dead family members who passed away due to a fire that caught in their house. ________________________A joint military and security operations room has been formed by Misrata and Bani Walid, according to military sources. They said the room will monitor the movement of IS escapes who fled Sirte and Benghazi and barricaded in Bani Walid valleys. They added that IS militants are trying to regroup after they were defeated in Sirte, as they installed a military training camp in those valleys.
Minniti and Al Serraj confirmed a commitment to tackle both countries’ problems with human smuggling and the protection of borders with particular reference to Libya’s southern bordersInterior Minister Marco Minniti on Monday agreed a projected memorandum of understanding to boost cooperation between Italy and Libya against illegal immigration and human trafficking, after talks in Tripoli with Premier Fayez Mustafa Al Serraj, Foreign Minister M. Siyala and the members of the presidential council, A. Maitig e A. Kajman. Italy has long been seeking a deal to help stop the ceaseless flow of migrants arriving in Italy from Libya. Italian news agency ANSA reported that during Minniti’s mission to Libya, “Italy’s full support was reaffirmed for the national unity government and Libya’s role in fighting terrorism both on a regional level and a national one, in particular in the Mediterranean region.”The parties also voiced “a joint commitment towards fighting against illegal immigration and human trafficking on which a projected memorandum of understanding was agreed for joint examination in preparation for its approval “This memorandum,” it was stressed, “represents a national project in the security sector to boost cooperation between the two countries in the field of mutual security, fighting terrorism and combating human trafficking”.Minniti and Al Serraj also confirmed a commitment to tackling together both countries’ problems such as smuggling in all its forms and the protection of borders with particular reference to Libya’s southern borders”.
Hadish Abayu, accused of people smuggling, has told jurors that he was one of the migrants seeking to cross the Mediterranean, and not the smugglerA man accused of people smuggling has testified in his own trial this afternoon, telling jurors that he had been mistaken for one of the organisers of the smuggling operation by the other passengers.58-year-old Hadish Abayu is on trial, accused of people smuggling and complicity in the trafficking of persons. They (the organisers) take our money and run away,” he told jurors. When we arrived in Malta some people started asking questions about the six who had been arrested in Libya and the money they had paid. “They got it in their mind that, because I was a political commissioner in Eritrea, I was their enemy,” he said. “I met the accused for the first time when I was in Libya.
By Nikolaj NielsenItaly announced on Monday (9 January) it would re-open its embassy in Libya's capital as part of a broader effort to curb migration departures. Now more controls on migrant departures," Italy's foreign minister Angelino Alfano wrote on Twitter. Dear EUobserver reader Subscribe now for unrestricted access to EUobserver. Unlimited access on desktop and mobile All premium articles, analysis, commentary and investigations EUobserver archives EUobserver is the only independent news media covering EU affairs in Brussels and all 28 member states. ♡ We value your support.
Skip in Skip x Embed x Share President Obama may be leaving the White House with the support of more than half of Americans, but his legacy is a little less glowing. Growing government became an end in itself under Obama, as our doubled national debt attests. Third, President Obama, his appointees and his judges have demonstrated a deep antipathy for the values and traditions of the great majority of regular Americans. Just ask the nuns whom his administration tried to bully into providing drugs they didn’t want or need: If they taught school, they’d probably give President Obama a failing grade, too. Former senator Jim DeMint, R-S.C., is president of the Heritage Foundation.
Al-Zawiya Oil Refinery said Monday that an armed group had closed the gas pipeline that feeds the main power generation unit in Al-Harsha, pointing out that the group had not named any demands over the shutdown. The administration of the refinery added that Al-Harsha power plant is working currently using the spare diesel fuel, which it said won’t be sufficient for more than a day and a half.
Libya lost the friendly match against Senegal 2-1 on Sunday in Congo’s capital, Brazzaville. The match was aimed at raising the readiness of the players of Senegal before they take part in the Africa Cup of Nations, Gabon 2017 on January 14, and to prepare the players of Libya for the upcoming round of Russia 2018 World Cup qualifiers. Libya put forth a good performance due it played with only local players, with no players who play for foreign clubs. Senegal ended the first half 1-0 and then added another goal due to a defense fault by Libya before Mohammed Al-Ghanudi had managed to score a goal for Libya at the minute 68 to end the game 2-1 for Senegal. Moreover, the management decided earlier not to play Senegal, but upon threats to sue the Libyan Football Federation from the sponsoring company, it accepted the match.
The Italian Ambassador to Tripoli is due to submit his credentials and reopen the embassy here on Tuesday, Foreign Minister of UN-proposed government Mohammed Saialah declared on Monday. “It will be the first embassy to reopen doors in Tripoli,” he said during a press conference in the Libyan capital with Italian Interior Minister Marco Minniti. Saialah said he had agreed with the Italian side to facilitate visa procedures for the Libyans. “We agreed that Italy funds a number of projects in Libya with special attention to the southern region,” he remarked. Minniti said during the presser that his visit aims to coordinate cooperation in fighting terrorism and illegal immigration.
He added that the proposal was put forth by some of the dialogue members amid the current obstacles facing the implementation of the political agreement and the crises facing Libya. He added that they are reselling the goods to other businesspersons leading to the soaring of prices for the simple citizens, who buy the goods willy-nilly. This discussion came after a good number of families returned to the city especially after the retrieving of network and phone connections. ____________________Abu Salim municipality discussed with the Dean of Tripoli University the needed measures for building a college in Abu Salim that includes a variety of faculties, according to Abu Salim municipality’s Facebook page. It added that he ship, which is laden with 19k durum wheat, is being checked for viability to sail back in the water.
The draw of the Libyan Basketball League (2015-2016) finals took place in Benghazi with four teams, Al-Itihad, Al-Ahli Tripoli, Al-Ahli Benghazi and Al-Naser, from groups A and B. “All matches will be without spectators.” The Libyan Basketball Federation’s contests committee and the league’s supervising committee indicated.
The spokesman of the Special Deterrent Force (SDF) Ahmed Salim, said they have filed a case at the Attorney General’s Office including the number and names of the women arrested on charges of terrorism so that they be readied for deportation to their countries of origin. “Most of the women are from Tunisia and their country has not yet contacted us about their cases.” Salim indicated.
Defend Benghazi Brigades (DBB) called on all of the February 17 revolutionary fighters to unite themselves and be ready for fighting away any attacks by what they described the forces of war criminal, Khalifa Haftar, stressing that the revolutionaries must be mobilized to be able to put an end to Haftar’s criminality against the February revolution. In a statement, the DBB said the claims of fighting terrorism by Haftar are mere lies and have hence been proved to be irrelevant especially that he has coordinated the withdrawal of IS militants from Benghazi very recently.
Even after 11 months, Simon Lewis can't forget the faces of the children. In January, the surf lifesaver left the golden sands of St Kilda beach to join an international crew rescuing refugees off the Greek coast. SHAREShare on Facebook SHAREShare on Twitter TWEETPin to Pinterest PINLink St Kilda surf lifesaver Simon Lewis will spend the festive period on the coast of Libya to help rescue drowning refugees. Yet, next month, the 32-year-old will once again join another humanitarian mission, this time on a ship operating near the coast of Libya. But he still needs to fund his technical ocean rescue gear and wants to buy medical equipment for the ship.
Libya: ISIS loses stronghold in SirteLibyan forces on Monday took control of the final cluster of buildings where Islamic State militants were holding out in their former North African stronghold of Sirte. The Libyan forces, led by brigades from the western city of Misrata, launched counter-attack against the jihadist group in May. Since Aug. 1 the U.S. have carried out not less than 470 air strikes against the Jihadist to support the Libyan forces. The presence of the families has been one of the factors complicating attempts to push forward into the final sliver of land held by Islamic State. The post Libya: ISIS loses stronghold in Sirte appeared first on Vanguard News.