EU border agency sees 2017 migrant arrivals via Libya same as last year

EU border agency sees 2017 migrant arrivals via Libya same as last yearThe European Union should expect as many migrants crossing from Libya this year as last, when a record number disembarked in Italy, the head of the bloc's border agency said on Wednesday. But these would only bear fruit in time, Leggeri said, adding that for now the EU had to ensure Italy had enough support and capacity to handle high arrivals. Frontex said fewer than a half of migrants disembark in official sites in Italy that ensure security screening and basic identification. About a fifth of the search and rescue operations between Italy and Libya are now carried out by NGOs. "A year or two ago, they were taking place half way between Libya and Italy.

February 15, 2017 15:05 UTC

Nigerian returnees from Libya narrate tales of rape, abuse, violence

Related NewsSome Nigerian returnees from Libya have narrated their experiences in the hands of Libyan officials. Scores of Nigerians travel to Libya daily with the hope of landing in Europe by boat through the Mediterranean. They said that they travelled to Libya with the hope of crossing to Europe through the Mediterranean in search of jobs. Mr. Isikhuemhen urged the Nigerian government to stop young ladies from travelling to Libya, saying they were molested by Libyan immigration officials. He said that most Nigerian ladies bribe Nigerian Immigration Officers to secure travel documents to travel to Libya.

February 15, 2017 11:26 UTC

161 Nigerians deported from Libya arrive Lagos Airport

By Lawani MikairuLagos—ONE hundred and sixty-one Nigerians, who have been stranded in Libya voluntarily returned to the country yesterday on board an Airbus 329 with registration number Nouvelair TS-INB. The returnees journey back to Nigeria was facilitated by International Oganisation for Migration, IOM, after the Federal Government asked for its assistance after confirming that some Nigerians were willing to return home. He also advised those leaving the country in search of greener pastures to have a rethink and stay in the country to develop it. We need to let them realize that the country they left some years ago is not the same country they are meeting today. One of them who gave his name as Stanley Nduh told Vanguard that the Libya police hung him upside down after beating him mercilessly.

February 15, 2017 04:03 UTC

PHOTONEWS: Dozens of Nigerians return from Libya

They were received on arrival at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos by a team from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA). Here are photos from the scene of arrival:Nigerian returnees from Libya on arrival at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos. Nigerian returnees on arrival at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos from Libya. Elated Nigerian returnee on arrival at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos from Libya. The returnee assembled at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos.

February 14, 2017 19:13 UTC

Libya, Italy agree on joint anti-illegal immigration operations chamber

Libya and Italy have agreed to form a joint operations chamber that will be tasked with information exchange regarding illegal immigrants. Following the talks, which were held in Tripoli on Monday between the General Director of the Coast Security Department, Tariq Shanyor, and the Italian Ambassador in Libya, Giuseppe Perrone, the joint room was announced, the media office of the UN-proposed government reported Tuesday.

February 14, 2017 17:28 UTC



News Roundup - Tue, Feb 14, 2017

Gunmen affiliated with Khalifa Haftar’s self-proclaimed Libyan National Army stormed into Benghazi Medical Center on Thursday and assaulted a nurse while on duty. __________________Libya and Italy have agreed to form a joint operations chamber that will be tasked with information exchange regarding illegal immigrants. UN deputy spokesman said deliberations between the Secretary General and the relevant countries are underway for a new pick. _________________Electricity will be restored to war-torn areas in Sirte, said Mohammed Al-Amil, a journalist at Sirte municipality. He added that those bodies would need to go to forensics and then buried, saying the center will not be able to receive any more bodies.

February 14, 2017 15:42 UTC

NEMA Set to Receive 400 Nigerians Stranded in Libya

NEMA Set to Receive 400 Nigerians Stranded in LibyaThe National Emergency Management Agency says it has confirmed the authenticity of a video recently circulating on the social media, which captured some stranded migrants in Libya, Punch reports. The spokesman for the agency in the South-West, Mr. Ibrahim Farinloye, told our correspondent on Monday that NEMA had found out that there were no fewer than 400 Nigerians among the stranded migrants shown in the video. Farinloye said the video prompted NEMA to consult the International Organisation for Migration, which later found out that the video was genuine and that about 400 Nigerians were among the migrants. He said based on the effort, NEMA had profiled the migrants and established that Nigerians were among other migrants who were trying to cross the high sea to Europe but were stranded in Libya. The post NEMA Set to Receive 400 Nigerians Stranded in Libya appeared first on SIGNAL.

February 14, 2017 15:24 UTC

FG evacuates another set of Nigerians from Libya today

An estimated 180 Nigerian Nationals from Libya are expected to arrive the Murtala Muhammed International Airport Cargo on Tuesday in Lagos. The returnees will be received at MMIA Cargo Terminal by 4pm by a combined agencies of IOM, NEMA, FAAN, office of SSA Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Nig Immigration Service. Since 2016, the Federal Government had evacuated close to 2,000 returnees from Libya, following the crisis in that country which has made black nationals from other countries prime targets of massive killings. Follow Us“

February 14, 2017 09:54 UTC

Benghazi nurse takes a beating at work

Gunmen affiliated with Khalifa Haftar’s self-proclaimed Libyan National Army stormed into Benghazi Medical Center on Thursday and assaulted a nurse while on duty. The nurse, identified as Milad Al-Hadiri, has suffered a broken arm and bruises after being beaten up by the gunmen who identified themselves as “Libyan National Army” personnel, sources from Benghazi Medical Center reported. Benghazi Medical Center called on so-called the General Command of the Libyan National Army to intervene and stop such attacks. “The attacks on medical staff are happening every day; we urge the military governor and the General Command to stop these violations,” Benghazi Medical Center reported, adding that such attacks might oblige the center to close down. Local sources indicated that the attackers are from so-called Sahawat (awakening) fighters, who are the backbone of east-based “Libyan National Army.”

February 14, 2017 09:11 UTC

Human rights cost of Turkey deal 'too high' to be replicated elsewhere, Amnesty warns

The human rights NGO has said the deal has left thousands in squalid and dangerous living conditions and should not be replicatedHuman rights NGO Amnesty International has insisted that the EU-Turkey deal should not be replicated in other countries because it has left thousands of refugees and migrants living in squalid and dangerous living conditions.It said that the deal, aimed at returning asylum-seekers to Turkey, is based on the premise that Turkey is safe for them, however this has left “thousands exposed to squalid and unsafe conditions on Greek Islands.” Moreover, in the new briefing, “ A Blueprint for Despair ,” the NGO documented unlawful returns of asylum-seekers to Turkey in what it called a “flagrant breach of their rights under international law.”Last month, Italy, supported by the European Union, signed a €200 million agreement with Libya that will see migrant vessels blocked from leaving Libyan territorial water. In addition to this, the agreement will see a greater emphasis made on securing Libya’s Southern borders and the training of the Libyan coast guard by the EU, among other initiatives.Prime Minister Joseph Muscat has defended the deal , saying that while imperfect, it is the only way for Europe to avoid a humanitarian crisis come spring, while a number of NGOs had urged the EU to avoid signing any deal with Libya.“The EU-Turkey deal has been a disaster for the thousands who have been left stranded in a dangerous desperate and seemingly endless limbo on the Greek islands,” said Gauri van Gulik, Amnesty International’s deputy director for Europe.“It is disingenuous in the extreme that European leaders are touting the EU-Turkey deal as a success, while closing their eyes to the unbearably high cost to those suffering the consequences.”“While there is no longer a strict detention regime, those in the camps are still unable to leave the islands,” said Amnesty International. Moreover, it added that refugees were also victims of hate-motivated attacks in the Souda camp on Chios.According to the human rights NGO, women are particularly affected by the lack of security on the Greek islands as they are often forced to live in camps and use the same shower and toilet facilities as men.It said that many have complained of a lack of female only showers and toilets or, where they exist, of a lack of proper doors and lighting. Several women also told Amnesty International that they have either experienced or witnessed verbal or physical sexual harassment or domestic violence.The central premise of the deal to return migrants back to Turkey relies on the assumption that Turkey is safe for asylum-seekers, said Amnesty International, adding that although none have so far been formally returned from Greece to Turkey, it had documented that some asylum-seekers were sent back in a rush without being given a chance to seek asylum or appeal against their return, in breach of international law.“For as long as Turkey is still not a safe country, the EU should work with the Greek authorities to urgently transfer asylum-seekers to mainland Greece and European governments should give them access to relocation to other countries, said Gauri van Gulik.“Nobody should die in the cold on Europe’s doorstep. Leaders who claim the EU-Turkey deal could be a blueprint for new ones with countries like Libya, Sudan, Niger and elsewhere should look at the horrible consequences and be warned: this should never be repeated.”

February 14, 2017 06:31 UTC

Dignity Operation lays out red carpet for extremist Saudi cleric

Al-Otabi is notorious for his bloody Fataws and incitement of tensions, especially in the Libyan conflict. Khalifa haftar is exploiting the Salafi movement, which is at odds with other Islamist groups, to fight his political rivals. The movement favors dictators and tyrants over elected ministers and presidents because its followers believe that elections are sin. The Salafists have already joined the fighting in Benghazi and formed their own armed brigades within Dignity Operation. In Saudi Arabia, Osama Ataya Al-Otabi is branded as a sedition cleric because of his misleading and bloody Fataws and interference in other countries’ affairs, especially Libya.

February 13, 2017 15:00 UTC

Guterres ‘disappointed’ at US opposition to choice of UN envoy to Libya

Dubai, Feb 13 (IANS) United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres on Monday said he was disappointed that the US opposed his appointment of former Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad as UN envoy to mediate in the conflict in Libya. Fayyad is “the right person for the right job at the right moment”, Xinhua news agency quoted Guterres as saying at the fifth World Government Summit. Last Saturday, US ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley blocked Fayyad’s appointment, saying Washington was “disappointed to see a letter indicating the intention to appoint the former Palestinian Authority Prime Minister to lead the UN Mission in Libya”. Fayyad, 64, was appointed to replace German diplomat Martin Kobler, who has been serving as the UN special envoy to Libya and the head of the UN Support Mission in Libya since November 2015. Guterres said Fayyad was the “right person… recognised everywhere”.

February 13, 2017 12:03 UTC

UN chief says Fayyad “right man” to be Libya envoy despite US objection

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said on Monday that he believed former Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad was the “right person” to be the world body’s envoy to Libya after the United States raised objections to the choice. The US ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, has expressed disappointment over Guterres’ choice, saying the world body has for too long been “unfairly biased in favour of the Palestinian Authority to the detriment of our allies in Israel”. Speaking at a summit in Dubai, Guterres said: “I believe he is the right person for the right job at the right moment. And I think it is a loss for the Libyan peace process and for the Libyan people that I am not able to appoint him.”

February 13, 2017 09:59 UTC

Mafia, guns and clans: the big Libyan oil heist

The post-Ghaddafi chaos has created some great business opportunities in both human trafficking and oil smuggling. Read moreOn Thursday, forces aligned with Khalifa Gwell announced the creation of yet another guard - the Libyan National Guard (LNG), to “protect” institutions. It’s definitely not the right time to try to get into Libyan oil. Nor is there any chance that Libyan oil is going to upset the global balance of supply and demand and scupper the OPEC/non-OPEC deal on production cuts. It is against this backdrop that oil smuggling thrives, and will continue to thrive, and supermajor oil companies will have no choice but to pull up stakes or play the game, which means indirectly enabling smuggling activities.

February 13, 2017 09:00 UTC

Libyan Red Crescent retrieves over 70 corpses from Sirte in ten days

The Head of the Crisis Committee at the Misrata office of Libya’s Red Crescent (LRC), Salah Buzariba, said the LRC volunteers retrieved over 70 bodies from Sirte in the last ten days, confirming that 65 of them were for IS militants, who were air attacked by the US warplanes on January 19 in southern Sirte. Buzariba told the press that the Libyan Red Crescent volunteers are retrieving bodies from Sirte constantly, urging the international organizations to provide technical assistance to the volunteers, who are putting forth significant efforts with little capabilities.

February 12, 2017 17:15 UTC



Trending Today






Loading...