“These strikes were directed against some of ISIL’s external plotters,” US Defense Secretary Ash Carter told a Pentagon briefing, using an acronym for Islamic State. The attack took place 28 miles south-west of Sirte, targeting fighters fleeing Libyan forces clearing them from Sirte with support from US air strikes. It’s unclear whether Donald Trump, who takes office as US president on Friday, might seek to alter US policy in Libya. The United States carried out nearly 500 air strikes against IS targets in Sirte between August and December. It had previously carried out several isolated strikes against militant targets elsewhere in Libya.
Each B-2 airframe can carry up to 80 individually targeted, GPS-guided 500lb GBU-38 Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs). Last Summer this policy changed, and a Marine Amphibious Group's Cobra attack helicopters and Harrier attack jets began pounding ISIS-aligned militants that had flooded Gaddafi’s hometown—the central coastal city of Sirte. First off, no other force in the Pentagon’s portfolio is more trained and ready for complex global strike missions than the B-2 Spirit community. Were fighters were used instead of heavy bombers, the strike package might include dozens of strike aircraft alone, not counting all their support assets. There is risk in any operation, no matter how high-end the hardware used is and what the enemy's capabilities are.
Obama reportedly authorized the strikes earlier this week, without congressional approval. The president committed to giving Libya air support after the U.S.-backed toppling of former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011. The strikes appear to underscore that ISIS remains a threat in Libya, regardless of U.S. military claims. For a Pentagon that erroneously claimed it "doesn't do body counts," some more body counts on the way out the door. Guardian reporter Spencer Ackerman made reference to the incoming changeover on Twitter, writing, "Massive, yuge U.S. airstrikes in Libya closing out the Obama administration."
(Photo: Romeo Ranoco, Reuters/Pool/AP)WASHINGTON — The military conducted two strikes against Islamic State and al-Qaeda terrorist targets in the waning hours of the Obama administration, the Pentagon announced Thursday. The attacks on Wednesday night killed more than 80 militants from the Islamic State, or ISIL, Defense Secretary Ash Carter told reporters. The militants had been forced from the coastal city of Sirte, and some had been engaged in plotting attacks in Europe, Carter said. His death deprives al-Qaeda of a veteran leader with experience mounting attacks abroad, Cook said. At the Pentagon, Cook showed reporters high-quality video footage, taken from spy aircraft, that showed militants moving rocket-propelled grenades and other munitions from pickup trucks.
US AFRICOM has carried out overnight air raids targeting two camps for IS militants in southwestern Sirte, according to a statement by the Presidential Council of the UN-proposed government. The PC confirmed on Thursday that IS militants were targeted in the desert nearby Sirte in a bid to cripple their movement and intention to regroup and come back to Sirte after being eradicated from there by Al-Bunyan Al-Marsoos forces.
Washington, Jan 19 (IANS) Two US B-2 bombers conducted strikes on Islamic State targets in Libya overnight, destroying two camps near the Libyan city of Sirte, the Pentagon said on Thursday. In a statement, Pentagon spokesperson Peter Cook said the IS militants targeted in the strikes included individuals who fled to the remote desert camps from Sirte to reorganise, and they posed a security threat to Libya, the region and US national interests. “While we are still evaluating the results of the strikes, the initial assessment indicates they were successful,” Cook said. “This action was authorised by the president as an extension of the successful operation the US military conducted last year to support Libyan forces in freeing Sirte from IS.”A defence official told US media that drones also participated in the strikes and that “several dozen” IS fighters were thought to have been killed. –IANSahm/dg
___________________US AFRICOM has carried out overnight air raids targeting two camps for IS militants in southwestern Sirte, according to a statement by the Presidential Council of the UN-proposed government. ___________________GECOL said Thursday that the gas pipeline that feeds Al-Zawiya power plant is still closed, saying it had been opened for 90 minutes in the morning and then was shut by the same armed group again. ___________________CBL and Ministry of Finance agreed to deposit 4.8 billion Libyan dinars Thursday in the latter’s account to implement the (decree no.4) that allows paying out salaries and provide basic goods in the first three months of 2017. ___________________A friendly match will be held on Friday at Tripoli stadium between Al-Ahli Tripoli, Libya’s Soccer League’s champion, and Adiwana from Ghana, which finished second in Ghana’s 2016 soccer league. The Ghanian team will; arrive in Tripoli Thursday evening to play Al-Ahli Tripoli, which is getting ready for CAF Champions League that is going to kick off on February 09 with a match against All Stars, Ghana’s Soccer league champion.
Jan. 19 (UPI) -- American B-2 bombers killed at least 85 Islamic State militants in Libya after dropping 108 precision-guided bombs in several locations, U.S. defense officials said. The stealth bombers targeted at least one Islamic State training camp on Wednesday. U.S. drones launched hellfire missiles at escaping Islamic State militants. The B-2 bombers took off from their permanent base in Missouri, carried out the bombing operation and flew back home -- refueling five times without landing. The United States has carried out about 500 airstrikes in Sirte since August, targeting Islamic State militants.
Play FacebookTwitterGoogle PlusEmbed FROM OCT. 10: Fight Against ISIS Intensifies in Sirte, Libya 0:27 autoplay autoplay Copy this code to your website or blogU.S. bombers carried out airstrikes on two ISIS camps in Libya overnight, defense officials said Thursday, part of an operation targeting militants driven out last year from their coastal stronghold. Destruction in Sirte in a photo after ISIS was driven out in December. MAHMUD TURKIA / AFP - Getty ImagesThe operation was carried out in cooperation with Libyan government forces, according to the Pentagon. Many of the targets had previously been inside Sirte until it was liberated from ISIS late last year. Precision airstrikes in support of Libyan government forces against ISIS were launched in August 2016.
US bombers hit Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) camps outside the city of Sirte in Libya, killing 80 jihadists, US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter told reporters. “In Libya, our Africa Command conducted airstrikes against two ISIL camps south of Sirte,” Carter said in a press conference. The mission was coordinated with Libya’s UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA), the US military announced. Read moreIn the aftermath, GNA officials said they would continue to clear the territories around Sirte of IS jihadists. The GNA mission to drive out IS militants from Sirte has frequently been aided by US airstrikes.
WASHINGTON — Two United States Air Force B-2 bombers attacked Islamic State training camps in Libya overnight, killing more than 80 militants, including some who were involved in plotting terrorist attacks in Europe, the Pentagon said on Thursday. But the taking of Surt did not put an end to Islamic State operations in Libya. Many of them, including fighters who fled from Surt, began to regroup at two training camps about 25 miles southwest of the city, officials said. The Islamic State is recruiting foreign fighters into southern Libya and is most likely relying on the same havens used by Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, according to the analysis. Mr. Carter, at a Pentagon news conference, suggested that the Islamic State would continue to have a foothold in Libya as long as the country was racked by internal strife.
Joseph Muscat tells Diplomatic Corps that diplomacy is the EU's best weapon against the challenges it facesMuscat: EU needs deal with Libya on stemming migrant flowMuscat: EU needs deal with Libya on stemming migrant flowPrime Minister Joseph Muscat this afternoon told foreign diplomats that only through effective diplomacy can the EU tackle the various challenges it faces and invited them to contribute with their ideas. “We welcome your ideas and views, as well as your criticism,” he said.Muscat was speaking at the annual exchange of New Year greetings with members of the Diplomatic Corps, where he said that Malta’s presidency of the Council of Europe constitutes a “landmark for Malta.”“Our vision is not inhibited by the fact that Malta is the smallest country in the EU. Capability and size are not mutually exclusive,” said the Prime Minister.He said that “the thrust” of the Maltese presidency will be to bring the union closer to its citizens, adding that one of the principal lessons from 2016, is that citizens need to witness good leadership. “On migration, the Turkey deal has been one of the few measures that has led to tangible results,” he said, adding that disrupting people smugglers’ business possible is the best way forward in Libya.Muscat said that the issues of security and migration have put Europe to the test in recent years, and that the EU remains the best placed mechanism to face these challenges. He said that Malta will “continue to pursue an approach of better distribution of migrants” and that it will do its utmost to build on the achievements of the Bratislava Summit on security and migration.“We are aware of the fact that different views prevail on migration, however the presidency is geared to achieve as much convergence as possible”
""To wall or not to wall. At the end, the only way in which the flow was stemmed was through an agreement with Turkey. ""In my mind there is no doubt that unless the essence of the Turkey deal is replicated in the central Mediterranean, Europe will face a major migration crisis. Thus, the essence of the core principles of the European Union will be seriously tested unless we act now. ""Let me also be very clear in what I mean by replication of the essence of the Turkey deal.
After three months of installing the solar panels, the administration of the Abu Salim Accidents Hospital, Tripoli, has started operating the solar power generators. The project was conducted by the engineers of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Libya as part of its project to install solar systems (for emergency use) in several hospitals in Libya. “This is the first time a Libyan hospital would be operating using solar power.” Abu Salim municipal council’s Facebook posted, adding that the UNDP in Libya will set up nine solar systems in nine hospitals across Libya in coordination with the municipalities. The Abu Salim municipal council explained that this step is going to make the best use of the solar power to cover the current failures of the main electricity network in the hospital, adding that, according to the engineers, the solar system has proved effective when put to test in the last two days. Related News:REAOL installs first solar system in healthcare center
- Zawiya power plant is the main power supplier of the capital, in addition to south Tripoli and Khomis power plants. Ruwais power plant in Nafousa Mountain - about 795 MW output - feeds towns of the region there. - The General Electricity Company (GECOL) warned about an imminent total blackout in the western region if the gas pipeline was not reopened. -A total blackout occurred on January 14 from Ras Ajdir in west Libya to Ajdabia in the east. - Another total blackout occurred on January 17 due to the high power demand and low output.