LPK leader Ababu Namwamba has dismissed claims he schemed the removal of former secretary general David Makali. Makali was on Friday stripped of his position for allegedly being too cozy with NASA, while the majority of the party NEC members are said to be inclined to Jubilee. He accused Namwamba and a section of the Jubilee Party officials of funding his removal. Speaking to the Star in Garissa on Saturday, Namwamba termed the allegations “utter nonsense”. The LPK leader said the party’s NEC will this week meet to discuss the matter, after which a decision will be made.
More than Sh24 billion is needed to cater for those areas worst-hit by drought, the government announced yesterday. State House spokesperson Manoah Esipisu (pictured) said the government has secured Sh7.1 billion and spent Sh5.4 billion in phase one of the drought intervention that ended last month. He said Sh11.6 billion is required for the second phase, which covers February to April. Phase three, which covers April-August, requires Sh7.1 billion. “Fifty per cent of the mitigation is through cash transfers so that the recipients can decide on what to buy,” Esipisu said.
Obviously, the MPs are frustrated that the Judiciary is not letting them get away with inconsistencies and illegalities in the affairs of running the country. Discrediting the Judiciary for not ruling in their favour can only stoke up unnecessary tension in an electioneering period. Granted, there are times when the general feeling is that the Judiciary has crossed the line and the actions of its members have been deemed dishonourable. In December, Mr Duale singled out High Court judge George Odunga and accused him of playing tribal politics in the wake of the acrimonious passing of Elections Laws (Amendment) Act 2016. All of them claim the Judiciary is to blame for the problems the country faces.
By AGGREY MUTAMBOMore by this AuthorThe government will require an additional Sh11.4 billion to address food shortage and the attendant rise of malnutrition across the country. “The nutrition situation is extremely critical, with acute malnutrition levels of above 30 per cent in Turkana, Turkana North, Mandera, Marsabit and North Horr. According to United Nations International Children’s Fund (Unicef), malnutrition can permanently hinder a child from growing up normally. Already, the government says it has spent Sh5.4 billion to address drought between November last year and January. But it has only allocated Sh7.3 billion for the remaining phases, meaning it may need assistance of an additional Sh11.4 billion from donors.
The herbalists in Kisumu and Kisii counties are cashing in on the strike to sell herbs to desperate patients who cannot afford expensive private hospitals. Kisii County Herbalist and Research Centre chairman Enock Nyakeruri told Nation on Sunday that since the strike started, the number of patients visiting him had increased. I am taking in twice as many patients as I used to,” she said, attributing the increase in the number of patients to the doctors’ strike. One of her patients, Ms Pamela Owino, an expectant mother, said that she feared losing her baby because she cannot afford the care at private hospitals. She said she had gained a trusting clientele as a result of successfully treating her patients.
It will collect Sh267 million from primary schools while secondary schools will cough up the remaining Sh1.2 billion for the project, which starts this month and ends next term. Education Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang says secondary schools should charge all their students Sh500 for this cause, while primary schools should charge Sh30 a child. Statistics from the Ministry of Education show that there are 2.5 million students in secondary schools and 8.9 million pupils in primary schools. Primary schools will have Sh46, Sh15 will go to sub-counties, Sh10 to counties, and Sh5 to regional offices. Last week, the government released Sh16 billion for free learning in secondary schools and Sh6.3 billion for primary schools.
By OUMA WANZALAMore by this AuthorThree universities could be shut down as the Education ministry is not willing to renew their licences. They submitted their request for renewal of their letter of interim authority but an official hinted at the possibility of their closure. Commission for University Education chief executive David Some said reports on the universities had been presented to Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i. Universities are required to use at least two per cent of their operational expenditure on research. At the same time, a joint working group has been formed to monitor implementation of the audit report.
Draw for FA Cup quarter-finals made on Sunday:Chelsea v Manchester UnitedMiddlesbrough v Huddersfield/Manchester CityTottenham Hotspur v MillwallSutton United/Arsenal v LincolnTies to be played 10/13th MarchMourinho faces Chelsea, Lincoln dream of ArsenalJose Mourinho will have to get past former club Chelsea if FA Cup holders Manchester United are to keep their hopes of retaining the trophy alive following the quarter-final draw on Sunday. The 54-year-old Portuguese, who won the FA Cup once in two spells with Chelsea in 2007, opted not to comment on the quarter-final draw. The FA Cup is something I believe is important for them." The other quarter-final pitches struggling Premier League outfit Middlesbrough at home to the winner of the replay between Championship high-fliers Huddersfield and Pep Guardiola's Manchester City. Draw for FA Cup quarter-finals made on Sunday:Chelsea v Manchester UnitedMiddlesbrough v Huddersfield/Manchester CityTottenham Hotspur v MillwallSutton United/Arsenal v LincolnTies to be played March 10-13
| Updated Mon, February 20th 2017 at 00:00 GMT +3Meru Senator Kiraitu Murungi addresses Meru leaders at his home on Saturday. Introducing the witchdoctor at a meeting of South Imenti leaders, the MP said the witchdoctor would use his charms to protect and defend the votes of the aspiring Meru governor. Murungi termed the action a prank, saying no serious man could stand before a crowd and confess to being a witchdoctor. The meeting was also attended by Igembe South MP Mithika Linturi and South Imenti aspirants Shadrack Mwiti, Gideon Kimathi, and Mwiti Kathara. The senator promised to replicate the success of his South Imenti CDF during his tenure to benefit Meru county if elected governor.
[PHOTO: DENISH OCHIENG/STANDARD]Voter registration came to a close yesterday, paving the way for a bruising battle for "swing" votes between Jubilee and the opposition. Other counties listed as pro-opposition include Kitui, Machakos, Makueni, Kakamega, Vihiga, Bungoma, and Busia. Although Jubilee has listed Kisii, Nyamira, and Trans Nzoia as swing votes, the counties are largely gravitating towards the opposition. The figures leave at least 700,000 votes spread across counties perceived as battle grounds for the rival camps. Other swing counties are Narok, Kajiado, Samburu, Isiolo, Turkana, Mandera, Wajir, Garissa, Lamu, and Marsabit counties.
| Updated Mon, February 20th 2017 at 00:00 GMT +3Residents of Kakuma, Turkana County at a CORD rally attended by Opposition chief Raila Odinga who is set to sign a coalition agreement with other Opposition leaders Tuesday. Bunyasi, a member of the 12-member committee, said the team had finalised the draft coalition agreement pending approval by the four co-principals. "We have been working on the coalition agreement and so far there has been no acrimony. He added: "All the final touches have been done and possibly the coalition agreement will be signed this week." They will fast-track the three crucial regulations - party primaries and party lists, political party regulations, and political party funding.
Residents of Suswa and Duka Moja have accused China Communication Construction Company (CCCC) of employing outsiders at the expense of residents. The Committee on Labour and Social Welfare, led by Kipipiri MP Samuel Gichigi, was also told Chinese workers were harassing residents. "We want to ensure all foreign companies comply with our labour laws. But Wilson Zheng Zheng, a CCCC representative, dismissed the claims, saying the company had employed 572 locals out of 696 employees. ALSO READ: Two killed, 10 houses torched in fresh land dispute in Transmara
Zlatan Ibrahimovic scores Manchester United's winning goal in the 75th minute after coming off the bench in the second-halfManchester United's Zlatan Ibrahimovic came off the bench to score the winner as they recovered from an early deficit to beat Championship strugglers Blackburn Rovers 2-1 away in the FA Cup fifth round on Sunday. Rovers, whose priority is to avoid relegation to English soccer's third tier, took the lead in the 17th minute through Danny Graham but Marcus Rashford levelled before halftime. Twelve-times FA Cup winners United dominated the game after the break at Ewood Park but had to wait until the 75th minute for Ibrahimovic to slot the winner after being set free by a precise long pass delivered by fellow substitute Paul Pogba. It was Swede Ibrahimovic's first goal in the FA Cup and 24th in all competitions this season. Blackburn thought they had scrambled a late equaliser when Anthony Stokes poked the ball home but a linesman's flag cut short the celebrations.
| Updated Mon, February 20th 2017 at 00:00 GMT +3America R&B artistes Blackstreet perform on stage at Kenyatta International Conventional Centre on Saturday evening. An air of fanfare and celebration reigned at Kenyatta International Convection Centre on Saturday evening when two renowned American music groups performed. Enthusiastic audience sang along to timeless classics by American rhythm and blues maestros Blackstreet and SWV (Sisters With Voices). ALSO READ: Top US music group to perform in Kenya this ValentineOut of this Sh1,000 went to a famine relief fund. Blackstreet's Black said they were happy to perform in Kenya and that the show had rekindled their resolve to continue creating new music.
Residents of Narok North sub-county yesterday protested against increasing donkey theft. We have lost donkeys, which are our only source of livelihood. This trend is a real threat to donkeys in Kenya and the government must do something about it,” he said. Elsewhere, Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) officers yesterday arrested two people and recovered more than 600kg of game meat at Ewaso Ngiro in Narok South sub-county. As the the game meat, which was packed in six sacks, was offloaded, the driver of the vehicle managed to escape.