FILE: Cassation CourtCAIRO – 20 February 2019: Cassation Court upheld a legal principal allowing police inspection of suspects homes without prior investigations in crimes related to incitement against the state.This came in response to a challenge by a citizen against her prison ruling. She said in her reasoning that the ruling erred in law application, where her house was inspected without obtaining permission from the Public Prosecution and without an investigation by the court in prior.The citizen cited other reasons, upon which she requested the court to repeal the ruling against her. She also added that she did not approve that the forces inspect her house.The charges drawn against the citizen date back to 2015, where she was accused with using Facebook to spread thoughts of hatred and disdain to the regime and disrupting public peace.She was also accused of possessing tools, which are her lap top and several applications that enabled her to disseminate these thoughts. The prosecution referred her to Mansoura Criminal Court, which sentenced her to a suspended one year in prison and ruled to confiscate the physical exhibits that were found in her possession.The Cassation Court refused the citizen’s challenge, saying that “the inspection, carried out by police forces in a house without prosecution permission, but after the approval of the house owner, is legally valid, and that all subsequent procedures based on it are also valid.The court also said that the accused citizen has not mentioned during the investigations or the trial that the inspection was against her approval, which accordingly, refutes her claim and upholds the court's ruling against her.
February 20, 2019 12:33 UTC
RAMALLAH, West Bank (Reuters) – The Palestinian Authority (PA) will no longer accept tax revenues collected on its behalf by Israel following its decision to trim the sum over the PA’s financial support of militants’ families, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said. The cash-strapped Palestinian Authority, an interim self-government body set up following the 1993 Oslo peace accords, has suffered a series of financial blows in the past year. The Israeli Finance Ministry said on Wednesday it collects about 700 million shekels ($193 million) in Palestinian taxes and transfers around 600 million shekels of that to the Palestinian Authority after deducting payments for electricity, water, sewage and medical treatment services. On Sunday Israel said it would freeze about 5 percent of that against stipends the Palestinian Authority pays to families of Palestinians killed or jailed by Israel. The United States last year passed legislation to sharply reduce aid to the Palestinian Authority unless it stopped the pay-outs.
February 20, 2019 12:22 UTC
Axa's LogoMultinational insurer ‘AXA Egypt’ has been announced as the only insurance company receiving the Top Employer title for 2019. AXA Egypt aims to inspire other companies to follow the same path of maintaining the overall harmony of the workplace as well as authenticity around the wellbeing of each individual employee. “Our goal as AXA Egypt is to always empower our employees, sustaining their development journey, personally and professionally, through our people-first strategies, to maintain a positive healthy work environment. The company has been also focusing on creating equitable benefits to all employees while recognizing the roles of both parents in child care. It helps guide candidates towards employers who will have their best interest at heart and will seek to form a partnership with their employees that is mutually beneficial.
February 20, 2019 12:22 UTC
A maze of crude oil pipes and valves is pictured during a tour by the Department of Energy at the Strategic Petroleum Reserve in Freeport, Texas, U.S. June 9, 2016. REUTERS/Richard CarsonEgypt seeks $10B investments in petroleum sector CAIRO - 6 February 2019: Egypt aims at attracting investments of $10 billion in the petroleum sector during the current year, Minister of Petroleum Tarek el-Molla told news-channel. Molla added that the first international tender for natural gas exploration in the Red Sea will be floated very soon, pointing out that Egypt's gas production amounts to around 6,400 million cubic feet per day. Petroleum minister reviews sector achievements in 4 years CAIRO - 11 December 2018: In the period from 2014 to 2018, Egypt signed 63 petroleum agreements with investments of $14 billion, Minister of Petroleum Tarek el- Molla said. Molla reviewed achievements in the sector, saying that the ministry implemented the biggest two projects for collecting geophysical data in areas of the Red Sea and Upper Egypt.
February 20, 2019 12:22 UTC
FILE – Ahmed KojakEgypt issues $4B int'l bonds in 3 categories CAIRO - 20 February 2019: Egypt issued international bonds worth $4 billion in three categories that was five times oversubscribed, the Ministry of Finance announced. The dollar-denominated bonds come with maturities of five, 10 and 30 years in a sale and will be offered at high revenues, as the subscriptions exceeded $21.5 billion. CAIRO – 20 February 2019: Egypt aims to raise the share of longer-dated debt to about 70 percent of annual domestic issuance by 2022, compared to 5 percent in the last fiscal year, Deputy Minister of Finance for Financial Policies Ahmed Kojak told Bloomberg.“We used to borrow to repay both maturing debt and to finance new debt,” Kojak said. Also, in the pipeline are international bonds denominated in the local currency,” kojak notedIt added that the average maturity of Egypt’s sovereign debt is on track to reach 3.5 years by next June, compared with 2.8 years in the last fiscal year.“We want to diversify our debt instruments and currencies and also our local and international investor base to enhance completion and secure the best yields,” Kohak said. Egypt will also work on ensuring the progressivity of its system by “efficiently” levying taxes on growing economic sectors.
February 20, 2019 12:11 UTC
"We back ourselves to win any game whether it's home or away," Robertson said. "Liverpool's attacking trident of Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane was not at its sharpest on Tuesday but Robertson expects a different story in Munich. "Of course they'll be happier with a clean sheet but a clean sheet at home in the Champions League is so crucial," he said. "It does not really frighten me the way it did in the past with Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben in full flow. "If they (Bayern) go on the attack at any time, they have to be very wary of Liverpool's threat on the counter."
February 20, 2019 12:00 UTC
"Suarez is not enjoying his best form, he hasn't scored in four league games and his performances have clearly dipped since 2019 began," wrote Spanish newspaper Marca. "Being Suarez, he is still scoring goals but his slump has not gone unnoticed at Barca, who are struggling as a result. 'SCORING CURSE'Barca's poor away record in Europe has played a big role in their failure to hurdle the quarter-final stage since they last lifted the trophy in 2015. "Opponents are still frightened of him, and players go through spells of scoring and not scoring. Suarez has given us so many goals and he will give us a lot more."
February 20, 2019 11:48 UTC
Egypt’s Health Ministry announced reinstating at pharmacies a previously recalled medication that contains the heart drug Valsartan. The drug was used for treating high blood pressure until the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) confirmed that it may lead to cancer, causing the Health Ministry to recall it from pharmacies. The Health Ministry announced that the drug was safe for the treatment of high blood pressure and reinstated it on the Egyptian market. In July 2018, the Central Department of Pharmaceutical Affairs of the Health Ministry recalled 14 Valsartan-containing medications, according to the Ministry of Health and Population. The Health Ministry asked manufacturers of the drug to freeze their stocks of medicine from Egyptian markets and to withdraw all that had been distributed to the pharmacies.
February 20, 2019 11:48 UTC
Prosecutor General Nabil Sadek during his speech at the the Middle East and North Africa Conference to counter terrorism - Press PhotoCAIRO - 20 February 2019: Prosecutor General Nabil Sadek said Wednesday that the Egyptian prosecution team have a great experience in crimes of terrorism that could be useful at the international level, adding that terrorism practices are the most serious violations of international peace and human rights.This came at a conference on fighting terrorism, Sadek added that since the start of the past century, Egypt has been keen on fighting terrorism and its funding and money laundering at the national and international levels.Therefore, Egypt has joined many international agreements on fighting terrorism and outlined a national strategy for fighting it, he added.He reviewed challenges in fighting terrorist crimes and funding, noting that besides the military confrontation on the ground there is another challenge which is in the cyber domain.Terrorist groups had developed their methods via using modern technology for spreading and implementing their terrorist ideology, he said, explaining that they do not need now to physically move from one place to another.Simply they can communicate via modern technology and use encrypted messages away from the control of the men of law enforcement.This requires the international community to enhance cooperation and coordination for fighting these criminal methods, he said, adding that world countries have to upgrade their methods of cooperation and their exchange of information to fight terrorist groups.Also, UAE Attorney General Mohamed Sayed Shamsi stressed that terrorism threatens the stability of countries and their existence.Earlier, Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouli inaugurated Wednesday the Middle East and North Africa Conference to counter terrorism and face the growing threats of financing terrorism, according to a statement issued by the Cabinet.The two-day conference is attended by Awqaf Minister Mohamed Mokhtar Gomaa, Solidarity Minister Ghada Wali, Investment Minister Sahar Nasr, Prosecutor General Nabil Sadek, and several ambassadors and representatives of 41 diplomatic missions in Cairo.The statement reported that the conference will discuss several important issues related to fighting terrorism and other crimes; it will also tackle means of boosting international cooperation in this regard.
February 20, 2019 11:26 UTC
FILE - A Muslim woman takes part in a demonstration outside the French Embassy in London September 25, 2010 - Reuters/Luke MacGregorCAIRO – 20 February 2019: Egypt's State Commissioners Authority recommended rejecting the lawsuit demanding banning women from wearing niqab (face veils) in public places, considering it as a matter of personal freedom. Niqab is a piece of cloth some devout Muslim women prefer to wear to cover their face, while some think it is obligatory. The SCA said in a statement that niqab cannot be moved from being permissible to being absolutely prohibited. The statement affirmed that not imposing a ban on niqab in Egypt conforms to law. The niqab case has sparked widespread controversy in Egypt, as a number of lawmakers have earlier submitted bills requiring the state to pass a ban.
February 20, 2019 11:26 UTC
LONDON (Reuters) – Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Wednesday relations with the United States had rarely been so bad and that sanctions imposed by the Trump administration targeting Tehran’s oil and banking sectors amounted to “a terrorist act”. “The US pressures on firms and banks to halt business with Iran is one hundred percent a terrorist act,” he said. HYPOCRISYIranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif accused the United States of hypocrisy for trying to wreck Iran’s nuclear program while seeking to sell nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia, Tehran’s regional rival. “Neither human rights nor the nuclear program are the real concern of the US. First a dismembered journalist; now illicit sale of nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia fully expose #USHypocrisy,” Zarif said in a tweet.
February 20, 2019 11:26 UTC
are accused of stealing millions of pounds from the compensation money allocated for citizens who had their properties withdrawn from them in favor of public benefit. According to investigations, the defendants forged electronic bills and proved their entitlement to the compensation money. The investigations showed that the value of the embezzled money exceeded LE 30 million as they have been practicing this illegal act for a long time. The committee assigned by the Administrative Control Authority is still investigating the incident to inventory the original value of the money seized. Both employees were referred to the prosecution in Zaqaziq, Sharqia governorate, to resume investigations.
February 20, 2019 11:15 UTC
Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouli inaugurated Wednesday the Middle East and North Africa Conference to counter terrorism and face the growing threats of financing terrorism - Press PhotoCAIRO – 20 February 2019: Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouli inaugurated Wednesday the Middle East and North Africa Conference to counter terrorism and face the growing threats of financing terrorism, according to a statement issued by the Cabinet.The two-day conference is attended by Awqaf Minister Mohamed Mokhtar Gomaa, Solidarity Minister Ghada Wali, Investment Minister Sahar Nasr, Prosecutor General Nabil Sadek, and several ambassadors and representatives of 41 diplomatic missions in Cairo.The statement reported that the conference will discuss several important issues related to fighting terrorism and other crimes; it will also tackle means of boosting international cooperation in this regard.Sadek said that terrorism has become the first enemy of all peoples and the main hindrance to development efforts, adding that the conference is held in light of the development of methods adopted by terrorist groups in committing their criminal acts.He stressed that it is necessary that the world countries cooperate to end terrorism funding and money laundering.
February 20, 2019 10:52 UTC
A surveillance camera shows Al-Darb al-Ahmar terrorist riding bicycle and covering his face before committing suicide bombingGhoul said that the terrorist decided to blow himself up and to deliberately kill an innocent mother who the video showed in the scene#BREAKING| Footage shows the moment #AlAzhar suicide bomber detonating the explosives he was carrying as he failed to escape from 2 policemen following him. The blast killed the 2 officers and the bomber.#EgyptToday#Egypt#BreakingNews | #الدرب_الأحمر#الأزهرpic.twitter.com/nfXsNObjhB — Egypt Today Magazine (@EgyptTodayMag) February 18, 2019CAIRO - 20 February 2019: After a video showed a terrorist blowing himself up when two police officers already got their hands on him in Cairo's al-Darb al-Ahmar, a parliamentarian said that respecting human rights is behind not shooting Al-Hassan Abdullah.Parliament's Human Rights Committee member Mohamed al-Ghoul said that the incident slams all allegations issued by some suspicious human rights organizations, where they try to stain the image of the Egyptian police and frame terrorist groups as victims.Ghoul said that the terrorist decided to blow himself up and to deliberately kill the policemen and another innocent mother who the video showed in the scene. The woman's life was saved. He added that terrorist Abdullah had been pursued based on legal procedures.A video showed two policemen killed after they got their hands on a terrorist who has been targeted for few days after planting a bomb on Friday to target security forces, which police could earlier control.Once the two policemen could finally seize Al-Hassan Abdullah, a bomb the latter carried exploded likely deliberately. A third police lieutenant colonel was announced killed later due to severe injury.Attacks in Cairo and other central governorates are relatively rare, compared to frequent attacks and fire exchange between Egypt's security troops and armed forces and "takfiri" elements in North Sinai.Police, on the other hand, regularly announces raiding hideouts in various governorates including central ones, as part of its proactive strategy, especially before national celebrations and religious feasts, as terrorists are active during such occasions.
February 20, 2019 10:18 UTC
Hesham Barakat - File photoCAIRO - 20 February 2019: Legal sources said that nine individuals were executed over assassinating the country's top prosecutor Hesham Barakat in 2015.The executed individuals were convicted of bombing the convoy of late Hesham Barakat on June 15, 2015 during the holy month of Ramadan. Perpetrators were convicted of deliberate and premeditated killing, possession of prohibited weapons, and explosives acquisition.The Court of Cassation upheld in November 2018 the death sentences against 10 convicts in the case, as it considered the appeals of 67 defendants.The appealed rulings include death and life sentences as well as 10-year-terms in prison. On April 19, the Court of Cassation rejected appeals by 46 convicts in the same case upholding their enlistment as terrorists for three years.
February 20, 2019 10:18 UTC