The parliamentary Constitutional and Legislation Affairs Committee said on Sunday that it will issue its decision regarding the dismissal of member of parliament (MP) Mohamed Anwar Al-Sadat from the parliament on 26 February, state-owned media Al-Ahram reported. Al-Sadat also found himself accused by MPs of distorting the image of the parliament before foreign entities. This comes as MP Bahaa Abu Shoqa, head of the Constitutional and Legislation Affairs Committee said that it was important to listen to Al-Sadat’s defence claims to know the truth, given his reputable career in parliamentary work, state-media reported. The parliament’s administrative bureau—composed of the parliament speaker and his two deputies—had referred to the disciplinary committee a recommendation to have Al-Sadat’s membership dropped. For his part, Al-Sadat issued several statements on Sunday defending himself and denying the claims.
According to data released by the analysts at Strategy Analytics and Counterpoint Research, Huawei Consumer Business Group (CBG) became the third largest smartphone manufacturer by market share, commanding 10% of the global market. Among the top five vendors—Samsung, Apple, Huawei, OPPO, and Vivo—the three Chinese brands account for almost 20% of the global market share. Huawei ranked third overall, with nearly 10% market share, maintaining a steady growth despite a weaker global market. Despite the softening of the global smartphone market, Huawei’s annual growth in shipments shows strong momentum and continues to perform above the industry average. Huawei has also modified its channel strategy, growing the total number of its offline service stores to more than 460 across 45 countries worldwide.
Under the name of Islamic State in Egypt and with the headline of “Fight All Infidels”, the so-called Islamic State (IS) group released a new video, issuing fierce threats against the Coptic citizens of Egypt and accusing them of insulting Islam, threatening to carry out more attacks against them. The newly released video showed a message by the perpetrator of the recent Cairo Church attack that resulted in the death of 29 Coptic citizens and caused massive destruction of the St. Peter and St Paul’s Church in December 2016. The name of the perpetrator in the released video contradicts with the one previously published by the Egyptian authorities directly following the attack, which was Abo Degana El Kanani. It moreover asserted that IS is aiming to incite sectarian strife between Muslims and Coptic citizens to repeat in Egypt what took place in Syria and Iraq. By conjuring up these scenes, the group is seeking to promote hostility between Egyptian Muslims and the state, similar to the hostilities it fabricates between Muslims and Copts.
The State Commissioners Authority of the Administrative Court recommended upholding the decision of parliamentary speaker Ali Abdul Aal, which included banning live broadcasting of parliament sessions, local media reported. The authority recommended rejecting a filed lawsuit that called for the cancelation of the ban of live television broadcasting of the sessions, as there was a lawsuit filed in 2015 to the Administrative Court demanding the broadcasting of parliamentary sessions. This implies that the authority accepts publishing parliament news in any media outlets but not live sessions. In January 2016, following the first two sessions of the newly elected parliament, parliament’s Secretary-General Ahmed Saad El-Din decided to ban live television broadcasting of the sessions. The ban will be enforced until parliament has finished reviewing all presidential decrees and governmental regulations that have been issued since 3 July 2013.
After President Donald Trump's raucous first month in office, Europeans have reacted with demonstrations, counter-barbs and sheer angst that a century of trans-Atlantic friendship may be sinking. He said European nations, fearful that thousands of women and girls will die without family planning information, already are cooperating to make up as much of funding gap as possible. Ten EU nations wrote to the European Union's foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, telling her that Europe cannot let down women in developing nations whatever the US policy. Even if European nations were alarmed when past Republican administrations restricted international funding over abortion, the reaction against the Trump order was much more vociferous. Pence sought to assuage European allies who are constantly wondering what Trump's next quip or Twitter bomb will bring.
A US judge has rejected Deutsche Bank AG's bid to dismiss a lawsuit claiming it delayed foreign exchange trades to get a "last look" at how prices were moving, enabling the German bank to extract more profit at customers' expense. Deutsche Bank spokesperson Troy Gravitt declined to comment. Axiom alleged that starting in 2003, Deutsche Bank arranged for algorithms used by Autobahn and other ECNs to delay trade processing by at least several tenths of a second. The New York-based firm said this enabled Deutsche Bank to reject trades whose terms it disliked, or to change the prices, costing investors millions of dollars. The case is Axiom Investment Advisors LLC v. Deutsche Bank AG, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No.
Ten solar energy companies received lands in Benban in Aswan at an area of 9 sq. km to launch power plants to produce electricity from the sun, according to the feed-in tariff system, after the recovery of Zaafarana lands. The total area of the allocated lands by the state for all new and renewable energy projects is 7,872 sq. The investor is to submit a pledge letter from foreign finders in six months for solar energy projects, and a year for wind-powered projects. For wind energy projects, 60% of the finances should come from foreign financing resources and 40% from local sources; for solar energy projects, 70% of the financing resources should come from foreign sources and 30% from local sources.
This meeting came following the conclusion of the ministerial meeting in Tunisia between the Egyptian, Tunisian, and Algerian foreign affairs ministers. The meeting with Essebsi came in response to an initiative he raised to find a possible solution for the Libyan crisis. The meeting reviewed the development of the political arena in Libya following the recent steps undertaken by the Libyan National Committee assigned to achieve compatibility between all Libyan political factions. Hegazy stressed that Egypt is assiduous to resolve Libya’s political crisis through achieving reconciliation based on the unity of Libyan territories. Last month, Shoukry visited Tunisia and met with the Tunisian president and foreign affairs minister to review Egypt’s continuous effort in this regard.
American actress Angelina Jolie, 41, recently said that her breakup with her husband Brad Pitt was difficult. Jolie is currently in Cambodia to promote her movie First They Killed My Father, her first major public appearance since she filed for divorce from Pitt in September 2016. My whole family have all been through a difficult time.. my focus is my children, our children," she added. Jolie and Pitt's relationship started in 2004 amid intense media attention and they got married in 2014. Jolie and her six children attended the event, beside the Cambodian King Norodom Sihamoni, who granted Jolie the Cambodian nationality in 2005 over her activities to preserve the environment in Cambodia.
Tahya Misr Fund signed a cooperation protocol with the Eshraqa Development and Training Association. The cooperation protocol aims at supporting the fund’s development projects and programmes, which seek to advance Egyptian society and raise the standard of services provided to Egyptians through the launch of the Youth Ambassadors Programme in cooperation with the association. The fund is to hold a number of workshops and seminars for young people to qualify them for the fund’s programmes and activities. The protocol further aims to implement the agreed joint projects’ activities, timetable for implementation, financial costs, and funding mechanisms. Training courses will be organised for a number of youth ambassadors to learn about the activities of the fund in all governorates of Egypt.
Total fish production reached 1.53m tonnes in 2015, compared to 1.48m tonnes in 2014, with an increase of 2.5% due to a larger production of fish farms and rice fields. The Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics (CAPMAS) issued today the annual bulletin of fish production Statistics for 2015. The total production of fish farms and rice fields ranked first with 1.5m tonnes, followed by lake production with 171,500 tonnes, marine waters with 102,900 tonnes, and finally fresh water production with 69,700 tonnes. The production of bony fish held the first place of total fish production at 1.5m tonnes (or 97.0%); crustaceans amounted to 18,600 tonnes, accounting for 1.2% of the total; other varieties of fish totalled 17,700 tonnes (1.2% of total); lung fish production recorded 0.4% of total production at 5,900 tonnes; and cartilaginous fish and molluscs reached 3,000 tonnes, to account for 0.2% of the total amount of production. Minister of Agriculture and Land Reclamation Essam Fayed has announced that total fish production is 1,481,882 tonnes annually, pointing out that the Ministry has a plan to develop fisheries in Egypt by increasing fish production, as to meet the domestic consumption and compensate for the shortage of meat.
The Egyptian Cassation Court upheld on Monday death sentences that had previously been handed to 10 defendants in the Port Said stadium massacre case of 2012, which lead to the death of 74 football fans. The court also upheld prison sentences for some of the defendants while changing the sentences of others. The second verdict came in March 2013, when the 21 death sentences were ratified, with five receiving life sentences, ten handed 15-year sentences, two receiving five years, and one man receiving a one-year sentence. Since their creation in 2007, the two dominant Ultras groups, Ultras Ahlawy and Ultras White Knights (UWK), have engaged in numerous clashes with police forces. Late prosecutor general Hisham Barakat claimed that Muslim Brotherhood members provided UWK members with money and explosive materials to commit violent acts and to riot during the Air Defence Stadium clashes in February 2015.
The Egyptian presidency issued a statement on Sunday to comment on recently published press reports suggesting that President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi participated in a “secret summit” between Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, former US secretary of state John Kerry, and Arab leaders. The report suggested that Netanyahu had rejected a proposal for renewed peace talks during the summit. The report said that Kerry’s proposal was rejected by Netanyahu but was supported by the two Arab leaders. The proposal reportedly included the recognition of the Jewish state and the renewal of talks with the Palestinians with support of the Arab countries. In a follow-up report, Haaretz reported reactions from Israeli politicians who criticised Netanyahu’s “missed opportunity” for peace negotiations, given that he had initiated the summit in the first place.
“She has shown a drastic improvement after losing around 35-40 kg of weight after her admission here. She is responding well to the treatment, and started moving her hands and limbs, which are good signs," The Asian Age reported endocrinologist Dr Shehla Shaikh as saying. She shows confidence about recovering fully," Dr Shaikh said. Ahmed weighs over 500 kg, and her flight to India earlier this month was the first trip outside her home in over 25 years. Eman has suffered from obesity since she was a child, due to a hormone imbalance and problems with her glands.
The Cairo Criminal Court adjourned Sunday the retrial of a police officer to issue its verdict on 19 June, as he was previously found guilty of killing Shaimaa Al-Sabbagh, member of the Socialist Popular Alliance Party (SPAP), whose death sparked local and international controversy. Al-Sabbagh became known as the “flowers’ martyr.”Moreover, the court ordered that the defendant remain in custody. Yassin Saleh, an officer at the Central Security Forces unit at the Ministry of Interior was sentenced in June 2015 to a strict 15-year-term in prison after being charged with shooting Al-Sabbagh to death, amid the use of unjustified violence in a limited peaceful march. Al-Sabbagh and other party members were marching on 24 January 2015 and carrying flowers in commemoration of those who died during the 25 January Revolution. But last October, the Cassation Court annulled the verdict and granted the defendant a retrial.