That ruling came as former Arkansas state employee Paula Jones sued President Bill Clinton for sexual harassment. However, the justices said courts should show deference in scheduling and other matters to the heavy burdens of the presidency. Because of that deference, Trump lawyer Marc Kasowitz wrote in a motion filed Monday that the Zervos case should be put on hold until the court can resolve the issue of whether Trump can be sued in state courts. A ruling that Trump cannot be sued in state courts would have implications far beyond the case of the former “Apprentice” contestant. One of Jones’s lawyers who successfully argued Clinton was not immune from such lawsuits was George Conway, the husband to Trump aide Kellyanne Conway.
The Calgary Pride festival is moving to bigger and better downtown grounds after outgrowing its former home in Shaw Millennium Park. "Prince's Island Park, just being a larger venue, allows us to continue to grow the event as we continue to see more people coming out year over year. As well it gives the opportunity to expand certain aspects and elements of the event," said Calgary Pride president Jason Kingsley. The proposed new route for the Pride parade in Calgary will travel west along Sixth Avenue and then north up to Third Avenue, close to Prince's Island Park, where the party will be located. (Calgary Pride)"This new route will allow spectators and participants to flow directly into the Pride in the Park event at Prince's Island Park," organizers said in a release.
The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2017 list will be revealed in Melbourne, Australia on April 5. This week, leading up to the ceremony, the industry organization has come out with its 51-100 list. The World’s 50 Best Restaurants is notoriously light on women – last year’s list included only two. She was named “World’s Best Female Chef” last year, but curiously didn’t make the list. Recipient of this year’s “Best Female Chef” award, Ana Roš of Hiša Franko also makes her debut on this year’s 51-100 list.
Approach finding a relationship the same way you'd approach recruiting a new employee at work, the father-daughter duo says. ( Dreamstime )You’re not really saying to “f--- love” or ignore love, are you? SB: When we say “f--- love” we’re not saying everyone should be married in a mass ceremony done by a cult leader without any emotional connection whatsoever. The book encourages a rational over emotional approach to finding love. Is there someone to blame for our inability to figure this love thing out?
Vancouver Councillor Andrea Reimer is introducing a new motion before city council today to better reflect the diversity of the city through place names. Her motion prioritizes naming currently unnamed city assets — like streets, lanes, plazas, and some buildings — to better reflect the city's ethnic, religious and gender diversity. He says recognizing Indigenous history through signage is a significant acknowledgement of the people who used the land before colonization. (University of British Columbia)Making Indigenous place names a normal occurrence could foster reconciliation for future generations, he added. With files from the CBC's On The Coast and The Early EditionTo hear the full interview listen to audio labelled Vancouver city councillor wants city signage to reflect region's Indigenous history and Andrea Reimer on new naming motion
The GTA's hot housing market is a symptom of its rapidly growing economy compared to other parts of the country, but the expectation of perpetually rising prices poses a risk, says Bank of Canada Governor Stephen Poloz. Following his speech, Poloz answered reporters' questions, including two about housing in the GTA. Ontario Finance Minister Charles Sousa confirmed Monday the plans to include housing affordability measures in his upcoming budget. (Chris Young/CP)Indeed, Ontario added the most new jobs in January, according to Statistics Canada, with 28,800 new positions. The strong economic growth is fuelling the demand for housing, and supply can't keep pace, Poloz said.
( Rendering courtesy Boston Pizza )What’s better than pizza and ice cream? Well, these days Boston Pizza and Dairy Queen are hoping you’ll see them as a whole lot more than just places for pepperoni pies and Peanut Buster Parfaits, which is why they’ll be popping up in spots you wouldn’t necessarily expect to see them. They are also aiming for non-traditional locations including airports and hotels (they just launched one at the Edmonton airport.) (Dairy Queen is a privately-held company owned by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway.) Overall Dairy Queen has 679 locations across the country.
Ford Motor says it will invest $1.2 billion (USD) in three Michigan facilities and create 130 jobs in projects largely in line with a previous agreement with the United Auto Workers union. Ford, Fiat-Chrysler and General Motors, among other companies, got early mentions in his joint address to Congress last month for investing and hiring in the U.S. But such massive investment decisions take longer to plan and execute than Trump has been in office. The investments Ford announced Tuesday, for example, are part of a 2015 contract between the automaker and United Auto Workers in which the company agreed to invest $9 billion and create or retain 8,500 jobs through 2019. Unifor, the union representing Canadian workers at Ford, GM and Fiat-Chrysler says it secured spending commitments from the Detroit automakers during contract talks last year including $713 million (Cdn.)
Paul Irish / Toronto Star ) Order this photoThe Ontario government is stripping Tarion new home warranty corporation of its responsibility to regulate the province’s homebuilders. “The new home building sector is an important driver of Ontario’s economy and, quite frankly, I believe it deserves a stand-alone regulator.” Tarion, created by the province 40 years ago, currently fulfills the roles of rule maker, homebuilder regulator, warranty provider and adjudicator between buyers and builders. An ongoing Star investigation has found Tarion was keeping secret records of poor or incomplete work in new homes. The Star found many cases where Tarion ruled problems in new homes should be fixed, but the deficiencies were not published on the corporation’s public builder database. Because Tarion does not receive government funding, it is not subject to oversight by the auditor general or Ontario’s ombudsman.
"It's going to be a turning point for women's hockey in the U.S. [and] I feel like a turning point for women's hockey in the world," star forward Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson said by phone. USA Hockey president Jim Smith said people will look back on this day "as one of the most positive in the history" of the organization. "I'm very relieved and I'm very positive about the outcome, and I think the women are, too," USA Hockey executive director Dave Ogrean said by phone. The group's goal is to advance girl's and women's hockey programing, marketing, promotion and fundraising to augment existing grassroots programs. The goal is stabilizing the relationship between USA Hockey and the women's national team moving forward.
FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA.—A Royal Canadian Navy vessel was involved in an international anti-drug trafficking mission that led to the seizure of more than 14 tonnes of cocaine in international waters along the coasts of Central and South America. The U.S. Coast Guard said Tuesday that the drugs were seized in 17 different raids over a period of 26 days. “When smugglers are racing across the Caribbean or the Pacific, they are not just carrying cocaine, they are delivering violence, corruption and instability to a part of the world — the Western Hemisphere — that just can’t absorb it,” U.S. Coast Guard Capt. Mark Feder told a news conference in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.“(It’s) a part of the world that already has eight of the 10 most homicidal nations in it,” he said. HMCS Saskatoon, based at CFB Esquimalt in British Columbia, and a U.S. vessel — Guard LEDET 405 — were involved in one of the raids where about a tonne of cocaine was seized.
It doesn’t matter to the skaters on the Toronto Maple Leafs who’s in net — be it Curtis McElhinney, Frederik Andersen or Garret Sparks — because there’s too much on the line. “For us it doesn’t change the mindset, whether it’s Freddie or Mac. Other guys have to step up.”The Leafs want to get back in the win column to create some breathing room in the ever-tightening Eastern Conference playoff race. It will be the first time the Leafs face the Panthers since suffering a 7-2 drubbing March 14. It was perhaps the embarrassment of that loss that has the team on a 7-2-1 run since.
An appeal of one of two cases of police misconduct arising out of the turbulent Toronto G20 summit almost seven years ago has been delayed after a complainant opted to represent himself rather than have a lawyer do so. Instead, a disciplinary tribunal docked the officer five days pay in November 2015 for discreditable conduct arising out of his criminal assault conviction. Andalib-Goortani, who argues the pay loss was appropriate punishment, was the only officer criminally convicted for police actions at the G20. The second case — the commission is still expected to hear it on April 4 — involves Supt. He was the only senior officer to face misconduct charges for G20 actions.
A French court on Tuesday convicted the man known as "Carlos the Jackal," once the world's most-wanted fugitive, of a deadly 1974 attack on a Paris shopping arcade and sentenced him to life in prison for the third time. A few hours before the decision was returned, the 67-year-old known worldwide as Carlos took the floor one last time and denounced "an absurd trial" for a 42-year-old crime. The case took so long to go to trial because it was first dismissed for lack of evidence. The 67-year-old was sentenced for a deadly 1974 attack on a Paris shopping arcade. Prosecutor Remi Crosson du Cormier had asked the court to give Carlos a life sentence, the harshest sentence in French law, for "the horror of this terrorist attack."
Public health officials are advising that a stomach virus is circulating in New Brunswick and asking those experiencing symptoms to stay home from work, school or daycare for at least 48 hours to help prevent its spread. Regional medical officer of health Dr. Na-Koshie Lamptey said there has been one confirmed outbreak in the province and the department is investigating several other suspected outbreaks. The office of the chief medical officer of health started collecting information about norovirus outbreaks in 2015. There were seven outbreaks reported to public health in 2015 and 25 outbreaks in 2016. Two or more confirmed cases in a setting such as a hospital or daycare are considered an "outbreak" by public health.