The European Union has cautioned Cameroonians to avoid violence as they go to the polls on Sunday to elect a new President. In a statement issued by by Maja Kocijancic, the spokesperson for Foreign Affairs and Security at the European Union, the EU called for a peaceful and credible election on Sunday. “The organisation of elections, in a peaceful, credible, inclusive and transparent manner, must gather the largest number of voters… Any attempt to disrupt the voting by acts of violence against persons or property must be avoided,” the EU said said. The European Union also stressed that those residing in the North West and South West Region must be able to vote despite the instability which has forced many persons to flee their homes. The European Union also said its supports any initiative aimed at a constructive and inclusive dialogue that will seek a lasting solution to the Anglophone crisis.
October 03, 2018 16:37 UTC
The president of the Confederation of African Football (CAF), Ahmad Ahmad, rejected any idea of withdrawing the hosting of the 2019 African Cup of Nations (AfCON) from Cameroon, saying CAF had “never thought of” such a move.Speaking to the press in Yaoundé on Tuesday, after a one-hour meeting with President Paul Biya, he said that it is Cameroonians themselves who are spreading this rumour and thus smearing the image of their country. According to Ahmad, President Paul Biya has given him “the assurance that Cameroon will be ready” for the tournament. This clarification puts an end to the questions raised by the continental body, which five days ago had questions about Cameroon’s ability to meet the deadlines in its specifications. CAF in a statement in Sharm El Sheikh (Egypt) announced: “The final decision will be taken at the end of November after the last inspection visit of the audit firm Roland Berger and CAF. For the past year, Ahmad has been blowing hot and cold in relation to the AFCON “Cameroon 2019,” saying he is not “sure that Cameroon is ready to organize” the competition; and at another time that “many things are still missing, and there is very little time left.”On another occasion, he argued that “CAF does not have a plan B” to compensate for the country’s inability to host the biggest sports festival on the continent.
October 03, 2018 12:00 UTC
The president of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) Ahmad Ahmad arrived Tuesday in Cameroon as part of an official visit in preparation for the 2019 African Cup of Nations (AfCON), APA can report.Accompanied by CAF vice-president Omari Selemani and the former captain of the “Indomitable Lions” Samuel Eto’o, Ahmad will hold talks with the Cameroonian authorities before meeting President Paul Biya at the Unity Palace. According to official and CAF sources, the CAF delegation’s agenda includes assessing preparations for the 2019 CAN, in a context marked by “delays” in the construction of infrastructure, and follows a third mission of CAF experts, who visited Cameroon in August. The arrival of the CAF president in Cameroon is “a good sign” for the country, according to local sports pundits, especially as recently CAF published the list of stadiums to host matches for the competition. The 32nd edition of the AfCON will be played between June 13 and July 15, 2019 in Cameroon with a major innovation – 24 teams in the final phase against 16 previously.
October 02, 2018 12:11 UTC
President Paul Biya of Cameroon says the Boko haram insurgency has been defeated in the country. The President made the claim over the weekend in Far North, Maroua, a region which has been the target of suicide bombings and other attacks by the extremist group. Biya said the country had “overcome the worst” of the conflict against anglophone separatists, as well as the bloody insurgency being waged in the far north by Nigeria-based jihadist group, Boko Haram. Biya delivered his first stump speech of the campaign to thousands of supporters under a baking sun at Maroua’s stadium flanked by dozens of ministers. It should be recalled that this is the President first visit to Maroua since 2012.
October 01, 2018 10:18 UTC
The Chairperson of the African Union Commission (AUC) H.E Moussa Faki Mahamat has authorized the deployment of a 12-member long-term election observation mission to the presidential elections scheduled to take place on 7 October 2018 in the Republic of Cameroon. According to an AU press release, the four (4) core team of analysts and eight (8) long-term observers (LTOs) arrived in Yaoundé, Cameroon on September 5, 2018 and will remain in the country until 19 October 2018 to comprehensively assess the electoral process in line with the African Union Long Term Election Observation Methodology. The release states that the Long Term Observation Mission will be joined by a Short Term Observation Mission close to the 7 October polls, from 28 September 2018 to 10 October 2018. The overall objective of African Union Election Observation Missions is to promote democracy and build public confidence in electoral processes in AU Member States. The conduct of credible, democratic and peaceful elections in Member States is deemed critical to the realization of the AU’s aspirations and its overall goal of ensuring an integrated, peaceful and prosperous continent.
September 10, 2018 10:32 UTC
A coach driver was killed and several other people were injured in an attack on a passenger bus convoy in strife-torn northwestern Cameroon, a public broadcaster said late Sunday. The attack launched by armed men on Saturday night is the latest violence in the restive region, where English-speaking separatists have declared an independent state. Images shared on social media of the incident appeared to show five coaches with their front windows and roofs smashed in by construction equipment. Separatist unrest in Cameroon’s two minority English-speaking regions — North-West and South-West — has left scores dead and displaced about 200,000 people since late 2016. A total of 109 members of the police and security forces have been killed, according to government figures.
September 10, 2018 02:03 UTC
LIRE AUSSI: Ambazonie: encore un village incendié par l’armée dans le Nord-ouestCi-dessous, la liste complète des personnes tuées depuis le début de la crise1) Akum Julius – died on 8 Dec 2016 in Bamenda. 29) Fru Akuma - died on 29 May 2018, died on exile in Nigeria. 36) Tabe Elvis - died on October 2017, shot in Fako37) Endo Cyprian - died on October 2017, shot in Fako. 53) General Enindem - 12 May 2018 at .....54) Eboka ....... - 7 May 2018, shot on motorbike and abandoned the roadside at Ikata, Muyuka area. 70) Chiabah Terence (Fally) - 25 June 2018, shot to dead in Belo, Kom (brother to Sam Soya).
August 30, 2018 00:10 UTC
Published on 07.08.2018 at 10h50 by Journal du CamerounFive security officers were over the weekend killed in fresh violence in West Cameroon, where English-speaking separatists have declared an independent state, security sources and witnesses said on Monday. Four gendarmes were killed in Esu, a village near the town of Wum in Northwest Region, when their unit came under attack on Sunday, a source close to the regional security services said. “Many people were so afraid that they went off into the bush — others are trying to get to Bamenda,” the capital of Northwest Region, the source said. Scores of police and troops have been killed, as well as more than 100 civilians, according to a government report in July. The following year, the British-ruled Southern Cameroons were amalgamated into it, giving rise to the Northwest and Southwest regions.
August 07, 2018 09:45 UTC
Forest campaigner Greenpeace Africa has expressed shock at the the activities of Dutch firm Wijma and her subsidiary COFECO in Cameroon. “Ironically, Wijma told Dutch media last month it does not see any problem with logging timber in a conflict zone. For Wijma to stop timber logging and processing only after being pushed out by the intensity of the ongoing conflict is nothing but excessive corporate greed! “Greenpeace Africa thinks Wijma cannot continue to brand itself as an FSC certified supplier for stock timber and from any other source. Rather than hastening to expand production in the South of Cameroon, the company should take time for sober reflections and re-evaluate its indirect role in the ongoing conflict in Cameroon”
August 06, 2018 11:37 UTC
Published on 06.08.2018 at 12h54 by AFPFive police have been killed in fresh violence in western Cameroon, where English-speaking separatists have declared an independent state, security sources and witnesses said on Monday. “Many people were so afraid that they went off into the bush — others are trying to get to Bamenda,” the capital of Northwest Region, the source said. As the situation polarised, anglophone militants last October 1 made a symbolic declaration of independence that met with a government crackdown. Scores of police and troops have been killed, as well as more than 100 civilians, according to a government report in July. The following year, the British-ruled Southern Cameroons were amalgamated into it, giving rise to the Northwest and Southwest regions.
August 06, 2018 10:52 UTC
The Ambassador of the United States of America Peter Henry Balerin has returned to Cameroon after spending over two weeks in his home country. The Ambassodor left Cameroon on May 22 after he was “called to order” by the Minister of External Relations Lejeune Mbella Mbella for comments made to the public after meeting with the Head of State Paul Biya. His departure led to speculation on a possible diplomatic fracas between both countries but it was later revealed Ambassador Peter Henry Balerin had taken his annual leave and would only return to Cameroon on June 8. This did not go down well with the Government of Cameroon who called the Ambassador to “order” through the Minister of External Relations. A section of the media as well as political actors did not take the Ambassador’s statement kindly with Banda Kani of the Manidem party swearing live on TV against Peter Henty Balerin.
June 11, 2018 11:37 UTC
Hong Kong, Peace Mining and Lu, and Lang, all Chinese companies carrying out mining activities in the East region, have been ordered to leave Cameroon. Authorities at the Cameroon’s Ministry of Industry, Mines and Technological Development, said the companies were banned for non-compliant with contractual terms. Going by a statement the authorities issued on Saturday, Hong Kong company did not have documents authorizing it to carry out mining activities. Meantime, Peace Mining and Lu and Lang companies, departure is linked to a series of conflicts recorded between their employees and local populations which have resulted in deaths, in addition to the non-respect of the environment. Studies from several local organisations reveal that gold exploitation activities in Cameroon by Chinese companies has caused the death of at least 34 people in 2017.
April 23, 2018 08:15 UTC
Killings, land grabs, corruption… tensions and violence are rising in eastern Cameroon as Chinese firms take advantage of a regulatory twilight zone to mine gold. “There are constant conflicts between Cameroonians and the Chinese” over gold mining, said Narma Ndoyama, a farmer in Longa Mali, a small village in the middle of the mining area. He sees the encroachment of Chinese miners as a threat to his cassava farm. AFP contacted several Chinese miners in the region who declined to discuss the complaints of locals against them. Cameroon’s legislation stipulates that 25 percent of gold production should be handed over to the government.
April 22, 2018 15:11 UTC
According to statistics from the organisation, 385 Nigerian refugees have been forcibly returned from Cameroon since the start of this year with the majority occuring in the last month. On April 10,160 Nigerian refugees and asylum-seekers were forcibly returned to Nigeria’s Borno state – an area whose residents continue to face risks. Seven days later, 118 asylum-seekers were forcibly returned to Borno state after arriving Cameroon just 48 hours before fleeing the violence in their area. « The forced returns are in violation of the principle of no forced returns or non-refoulement, » The UNHCR said in a statement. In total, UNHCR has registered some 87,600 Nigerian refugees in the country.
April 21, 2018 09:33 UTC