President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday ordered four ministers to proceed to Dapchi in Yobe for an update on the release of the female students abducted in February. The Ministers include Mansur Dan-Ali, Defence; Abdulrahman Danbazau, Interior; Lai Mohammed, Information; and Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Mrs. Khadijat Abba-Ibrahim. Before their departure, the Information Minister confirmed that 76 of the released girls had been documented. “So in the early hours of today they did return the girls, most of the girls went to their parents’ homes,’’ Mohammed stated. That is what I feel because the Dapchi girls have been released.

March 21, 2018 12:09 UTC

The statement confirmed that a total of three persons were killed, including a traditional ruler, Musa Edibo, the Onu of Agbenema. Fanwo further stated that other persons were also injured and are currently hospitalised and are responding to treatment. “On a happier note and contrary some reports, the wife of the murdered traditional chief was neither injured nor killed. “Kogi State Government and the security services are sparing neither expense nor effort to track down these murderers and ensure justice is served. “The public is therefore urged to call or send messages in this regard to 07058890048,” the statement read.

March 21, 2018 11:48 UTC

THE former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Olisa Metuh has accused the All Progressives Congress-led Federal Government of intimidating medical personnel that are in charge of his ill-health. Metuh and his company, Destra Investments Limited are standing trial over alleged N400 million they received from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA). “These people are quite aware that the learned Judge had ruled that he will no longer accept medical reports from any doctor in Nigeria. “The clear fact, as evidenced by his MRI report, is that Chief Olisa Metuh has severe spondylosis with disc herniations, cord and nerve root compressions in his Cervical, Thoracic and Lumbosacral spine. “In any case, are these people not aware that it is only in Chief Olisa Metuh’s matter that the issue of release of passport for an accused person has been such an impossibility?” the lawyer queried.

March 21, 2018 11:48 UTC

THE Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) is set to arraign the former Governor of Kebbi State, Alhaji Saidu Usman Dakingari, in court for allegedly misappropriating N664.3 million belonging to the state. Tunga and Kamba were already facing prosecution by the commission at the Kebbi State High Court. ICPC’s efforts to effect service of the court processes on the former governor have been without success since he was granted bail on self-recognition by the commission. In addition, his phone contact has remained permanently switched off so calls and text messages could not be delivered. However, a statement by the commission’s spokesperson, Mrs Rasheedat Okoduwa, a copy of which was made available to the Nigerian Tribune in Abuja, on Wednesday, said ICPC remained confident that Dakingari’s arraignment would hold through the instrumentality of a bench warrant that would ensure he was brought to court.

March 21, 2018 11:37 UTC

Jordi Sanchez, a separatist civic leader in jail over his alleged role in Catalonia’s secession drive, has dropped his bid to lead the region, the Catalan parliamentary speaker said Wednesday. “Faced with the repeated violation of his fundamental rights… the lawmaker Jordi Sanchez sent me a letter announcing he was renouncing his candidacy,” Roger Torrent said in a televised statement. While separatist parties won subsequent regional elections in December, retaining their absolute majority in parliament, they have still not been able to form a government as their two candidates for the presidency proved problematic. Puigdemont instead proposed Sanchez, the former head of the influential pro-independence ANC civil society group. One name that has been raised is Jordi Turull, the former Catalan government spokesman who is also under investigation over the secession drive, but is free.

March 21, 2018 11:15 UTC

Continue playing Unconfirmed number of abducted Dapchi girls return You may also like Watch again Unconfirmed number of abducted Dapchi girls return You may also likeSome of the schoolgirls kidnapped from their school in Dapchi, Yobe State, may have been freed by their abductors. Sources said the girls were brought to Dapchi by persons suspected to be their Boko Haram abductors. "The girls have been brought back. About 110 girls were kidnapped from Government Girls Science and Technical College in Dapchi, Yobe State, on 19 February, in a raid President Muhammadu Buhari described as a "national disaster." A military spokesman Brigadier General John Agim said AI's report was a "calculated attempt to whip up sentiments and mislead unsuspecting Nigerians."

March 21, 2018 08:05 UTC

This is coming amidst disclosures of untidy handling of the bid for the telecommunications firm and the commission’s determination to salvage the deteriorating situation. Its rules of engagement were contained in a letter from the Chairman of its Governing Board, Senator Olabiyi Durojaiye to Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele. The letter is partly in recognition of the fact that 9Mobile is indebted to a consortium of banks regulated by the CBN, even as the NCC and the apex bank have been collaborating to ensure the successful sale of the firm. Media consultants to Smile Communications, in a statement, made available to The Guardian, claimed that the letter espoused the three criteria that would guide the emergence of a preferred bidder for the company. Efforts to get NCC’s Director of Public Affairs, Tony Ojobo, for his comments was not successful as at press time, as he neither responded to text messages sent nor picked calls to his mobile line.

March 21, 2018 07:52 UTC

Boko Haram terrorists have reportedly returned the pupils kidnapped from Government Girls Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe State, some weeks ago. According to SaharaReporters, the terrorist group came with the girls in nine vehicles. READ ALSO: Ex-inmates kill Lagos Uber driver, sell car for N350,000Quoting sources, the online news platform said that the militant group came with the girls in nine vehicles same way they took them. It cannot be ascertained if any ransom was paid by the federal government to secure the girls’ freedom. YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: I sleep with five men per day –Sex workerDetails later…(Visited 9,014 times, 224 visits today)

March 21, 2018 07:52 UTC

The UN refugee agency also expressed concerns over reports of further Cameroonian nationals’ arrests in Nigeria. The UN refugee agency warned that without more funding and assistance, the fleeing Cameroonians’ situation and that of the Nigerian communities hosting them, would become even more desperate. According to Kitidi, Anglophone Cameroonians began fleeing violence in October 2017 and continue to pour into Nigeria’s Cross River, Taraba, Benue and Akwa-Ibom states. The UN refugee agency decried that the lack of protection from the cold was increasing health concerns as the start of the rainy season approaches. According to the UNHCR spokesperson, about 20 to 30 per cent of the asylum seekers have some kind of vulnerability, such as a physical disability.

March 21, 2018 07:07 UTC

“Kerosene shouldn’t be used as a cooking fuel, it is actually an aviation fuel, which is bad for human consumption and it has to stop, if you take kerosene for example, paint a kitchen white and you go back there in five months you see the roof is black, but what you see on the roof is probably 30 percent, but 70 percent of the soot has actually gone into the system, so the government is supporting this. There is an LPG policy, which supports the use of gas nationwide and makes it widely available as quickly as possible, which is what we are doing,” he said. The County Director, Africare Nigeria, Dr Orode Doherty said: “This is a community cooperative where they process cassava and garri, fufu and they also make food to sell. These women have used firewood and charcoal in the past, this is sooty, full of smoke, unhygienic and unhealthy environment, but here today we have inaugurated a community kitchen and we expect that through this kitchen we will not only demonstrate the safe use of cooking with LPG, but also encourage women in the community to come here, try their hands as first time use of the gas in order for them to comfortably and safely use it at home,” she said. Commending the initiative, the Chairman, Igbogbo-Baiyeku, Local Council Development Area (LCDA), Ikorodu, Olusesan Dairo said the initiative would discourage the use of kerosene and firewood because of the effect on the health, environment and the climate change generally.

March 21, 2018 06:45 UTC

He urged the team to embrace research and training to address the challenges in the health sector. The chairman solicited collaboration between the University of Benin and the UBTH, to enhance the hospital’s productivity and service delivery. Adewolu urged the Vice Chancellor of the University of Benin, Prof. Osasere Orumwense, to partner the UBTH in the areas of research and training. Also on the board are representative of the UNIBEN Senate, Prof. John Akerele, Dr. Woghiren Emmanuel, Prof. Innocent Ujah and representative of JOHESU, Hon. The UBTH Board Chairman also led members to visit the Benin monarch, His Royal Majesty, Oba Ewuare II, to solicit his support and royal blessings for the institution.

March 21, 2018 06:33 UTC

The Federal Operations unit, Zone A, of the NCS in Ikeja, Lagos carried out the operation. He listed the items to include: 16 exotic vehicles mostly, 2017 model, 7,201 bags of foreign parboiled rice in 12 trailers, 1,172 cartons of frozen poultry products and 1,352 jerrycans of vegetable oil. Others are 72 bales of used clothing, 464 pieces of used tyres, 407 sacks of Pangolin scales, and 629 pieces of textile Ankara material. The comptroller also revealed the interception of eight trucks, laden with 3,351 bags of rice and 669 jerrycans of vegetable oil, along Iseyin, Oyo/Osun axis. Also evacuated were 1,253 bags of 50kg from a warehouse in Ogbomosho, based on credible intelligence.

March 21, 2018 06:22 UTC

Rising from a meeting yesterday in Enugu, the group accused the Federal Government of ‘double standard’ in the handling of issues involving herdsmen in the country. In a statement by its president, Okechukwu Isiguzoro and secretary, Okwu Nnabuike, OYC expressed concern over the development in Ebonyi, threatening that it would be forced into “taking laws into our hands should the Federal Government fail to rise to its responsibilities and disarm the marauding herdsmen.”The youths recalled that herdsmen had invaded many Igbo communities, adding that even when they had created casualties by their action, government had treated them with “kid gloves” and that the incident in Ebonyi was no exception. The statement reads in part: “We duly denounce this dastardly act that receives Federal Government’s protective coverage allowing the herdsmen to traverse the length and breadth of Nigeria with firearms, killing people at will. “We cannot toil to feed ourselves only to have herdsmen invade our farmlands and graze on our crops and then turn to kill us for raising a voice against their cow-rearing methods.”

March 21, 2018 06:00 UTC

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Information, Suleiman Adokwe, representing Nasarawa South, gave the revelation in Lafia while addressing journalists. Adokwe lamented that efforts by the federal lawmakers to amend the constitution to give local councils autonomy have allegedly been frustrated by some state governors and their cohorts, the state Houses of Assembly, because of what they are benefiting. “The local council chairmen will remain rubber stamps of the governors until when autonomy will be given to the third tier of the government in Nigeria”, Adokwe lamented. The lawmaker also noted that local council chairmen and councillors are at the mercy of the state governors and therefore have rendered the local councils powerless and ineffective.

March 21, 2018 05:48 UTC

A statement signed by Special Assistant to Rivers State Governor on Electronic Media, Simeon Nwakaudu, said Wike, who spoke during a special investment programme organised for Rivers State by the Financial Times tagged: “Invest in Rivers State,” at their headquarters in London yesterday, told the select investors at the event that return on investment in the state is the highest in Nigeria. He said: “The Government of Rivers State remains committed to making Rivers State the best place in Nigeria to live, work and do business through the implementation of sound policies and creating the enabling peaceful, secure and friendly environment for doing business. Investors are warmly welcomed, Rivers State awaits you.”According to him, the Rivers State Government under his leadership has provided visibility gap funding, minimum revenue guarantee, provision of land for development, provision of subsidies and reduction of/exemption from payment of taxes and levies. In his remarks, Commercial Director of Financial Times in charge of Africa and Middle East, Mark Carwardine, assured the Rivers State Governor that the message of the investment potentials of Rivers State would promote economic growth in the state. The Chief Executive Officer of Invest Africa and United Kingdom Business Council for Africa, Karen Taylor, said that the state government had redefined the economic advantage of Rivers State, making it attractive to the world.

March 21, 2018 05:48 UTC