The city of Marrakech is undertaking a pioneering experience at the national level by introducing electrical busses to replace diesel ones in a bid to reduce pollution, noise and enhance urban transportation. After a delay of a year in launching the E-busses, tests are ongoing with the goal of officially operating the busses by the end of September, Marrkaech City Council explained. According to the City Council, this urban transportation, worth 240 million dirhams, was delayed for multiple reasons, among which the need to conduct further studies and train drivers. The establishment of a plant to produce such buses will be conducive to the generalization of the use of electrical busses across the Kingdom. Last year in July, Chinese carmaker Yang Tze said it would establish a factory to produce electrical cars and busses near Tangier for a total investment of 1 billion dirhams ($101.6 million).
August 13, 2017 00:00 UTC
The soldiers who were attacked are part of Operation Sentinel, which was launched in response to attacks in 2015. Wednesday's attack was the 15th on French soldiers and police since 2015. While Operation Sentinel has not been able to stop large attacks like the November 2015 attack in Paris, Sentinel forces have been successful against “lone wolf” attackers. This past weekend, Sentinel forces arrested a teenager who was brandishing a knife at the Eiffel Tower. According to Armed Forces Minister Florence Parly, these attacks demonstrate that the soldiers of Operation Sentinel are “more necessary than ever.”
August 12, 2017 15:00 UTC
Until then, enjoy today’s Lion Links. USL Goes “All In” on Las Vegas FranchiseIn an effort to become one of the best second divisions in the world, the USL chose Las Vegas to be the third and final franchise of its 2018 expansion effort. The Las Vegas club is owned by Brett Lashbrook, the man who oversaw Orlando City’s transition from the USL to MLS. I don’t know about you, but I’m pulling for the Las Vegas Lights. That’s all I’ve got for you as far as Lion Links, but check in with us later today for the How to Watch threads for all of tonight’s games!
August 12, 2017 11:26 UTC
Ten Nobel Peace Prize winners are appealing to Saudi Arabia’s king and crown prince to show mercy and halt the executions of 14 young people sentenced to death for participating in protests in 2012. The 14 face execution for protests and violence against security forces. The laureates said al-Sweikat was 18 when he was arrested on charges including supervising a group on Facebook and photographing the demonstrations. The Nobel laureates said that in court, the defendants repudiated their confessions. The American Federation of Teachers has urged President Donald Trump to demand that Saudi Arabia halt the execution of al-Sweikat and the 13 others.
August 12, 2017 09:11 UTC
The danger of nuclear war in North Korea and the return of German militarismBy Peter Schwarz12 August 2017President Donald Trump’s threats to destroy North Korea have brought the world closer to an atomic war than the Cuban missile crisis 55 years ago. For example, Secretary of Defense James Mattis, who is usually counted among the “adults”, has threatened North Korea with the “destruction of its people”. Even newspapers like the New York Times and the Washington Post, which are close to the Democrats, regard a preemptive strike against North Korea as a legitimate option. After the election, the new government then put into practice the proposed return to German militarism and a German great-power policy. Now, the German Foreign Policy Society (DGAP) has presented a 40-page dossier entitled “Foreign policy challenges for the next federal government”, which will expand this course in entirely new dimensions.
August 12, 2017 06:00 UTC
The Morocco Football Federation announced its intention to bid on the World Cup on Friday, the deadline for countries to express their interest. (AP file photo) 6566175The Morocco Football Federation announced its intention to bid on the World Cup on Friday, the deadline for countries to express their interest. (AP file photo) - BulletinA- A+By Gerald Imray The Associated PressMorocco will bid for the 2026 World Cup, the North African kingdom’s soccer federation said on FIFA’s deadline to apply Friday. It is Morocco’s fifth attempt at hosting the World Cup. North America has not hosted a men’s World Cup since the United States in 1994; Africa hosted the event for the first time in South Africa in 2010.
August 12, 2017 05:48 UTC
Make them in your own kitchen with a little help from author Anissa HelouSweets play an important role in the cultures of the Middle East. In her book, Sweet Middle East (2015), Anissa Helou writes: “Most people in the Middle East and North Africa have a penchant for all things sugary. Sweets occupy an important place in our lives, and every important occasion, rite of passage or religious event has a specific sweet associated with its celebration. “It’s possible that this love of sweet things is a result of the Muslim prohibition against alcohol, with sugar from sweets replacing the sugar derived from alcohol. Everyone brings a gift when invited to someone’s home, and sweets are often what visitors bring with them.”To most people in those countries, though, making these sweets was best left to the professionals.
August 12, 2017 04:07 UTC
Nobel laureates in mercy plea to Saudi king over young protesters' executions BelfastTelegraph.co.uk Ten Nobel Peace Prize winners, including Northern Ireland activist Mairead Maguire, are appealing to Saudi Arabia's king and crown prince to show mercy and halt the executions of 14 young people for participating in protests in 2012. http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/nobel-laureates-in-mercy-plea-to-saudi-king-over-young-protesters-executions-36024898.html http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/article36024897.ece/4c84c/AUTOCROP/h342/PANews%20BT_P-2cfc5bb8-0359-466d-b7c5-4489a65f2f33_I1.jpgEmailTen Nobel Peace Prize winners, including Northern Ireland activist Mairead Maguire, are appealing to Saudi Arabia's king and crown prince to show mercy and halt the executions of 14 young people for participating in protests in 2012. They also accused Saudi authorities of coercing confessions and reportedly subjecting the protesters to physical force. The Nobel laureates said that in court, the defendants repudiated their confessions. Sarah Lee Whitson, who heads Human Rights Watch's Middle East and North Africa regions, said the 14 prisoners were at "imminent risk of execution". The Nobel laureates said that in a world where nearly 2.5 billion people participate in social media and get news on the internet, leaders can no longer "dismiss the voices of their constituency".
August 11, 2017 23:37 UTC
Yesterday we posted a video of African immigrants arriving on a crowded Spanish beach as bathers looked on. Earlier it was widely reported that a migrant rescue boat, run by a German charity, had been sent to help but recent reports have the xenophobic seamen refusing help. Says the Telegraph:A spokesman for the European Union Naval Force Mediterranean’s Operation Sophia said the distress call was flagged to Sea Eye, a German volunteer rescue organisation whose vessel is currently nearest to C-Star. “As our Sea Eye cutter is closest to the C-Star, we were commissioned by MRCC Rome (the sea tributary centre for the western Mediterranean) to help the ship,” he said. pic.twitter.com/Fo5tHIzKP5 — Defend Europe (@DefendEuropeID) August 11, 2017 For our part, we sincerely hope that all those stranded at sea arrive safely at their destinations.
August 11, 2017 23:03 UTC
Ten Nobel Peace Prize winners are appealing to Saudi Arabia's king and crown prince to show mercy and halt the executions of 14 young people sentenced to death for participating in protests in 2012.In a letter released Friday they said staying the executions would "correct a great injustice. "The laureates said the 14 were convicted and sentenced in a mass trial "based on the actions of the worst defendant," arguing that several would never warrant the death penalty. "Jose Ramos-Horta, the former East Timor president and Nobel laureate, said: "It is a reality that the Internet has given voice to dissent in our century, and the minority populations who may have felt sidelined now have an open forum. "The other laureates who signed the letter are: South African anti-apartheid and human rights activist Archbishop Desmond Tutu, former Polish President Lech Walesa, former South African President F.W. De Klerk and India's anti-slavery leader Kailash Satyarthi.Also signing: Liberian peace activist Leymah Gbowee, Yemeni human rights activist Tawakkol Karman, Iranian human rights attorney Shirin Ebadi, American anti-landmine activist Jody Williams and Northern Ireland peace activist Mairead Maguire.
August 11, 2017 21:45 UTC
Morocco’s Royal Football Federation (FRMF) has submitted to the FIFA its official bid to host the 2026 World Cup, the fifth attempt by the kingdom to organize the global sports event. In a statement, the FRMF has dispelled rumors spread by the media concerning a potential joint bid with another country. Previously, the media claimed that Morocco has asked Spain and Portugal to team up to organize the 2026 World Cup in a counter-bid challenge to competitors in North America: the US, Canada and Mexico who presented their joint bid last April 10. As it seeks to host the world tournament, Morocco enjoys the support of the Confederation of African Football (CAF). The 2026 World Cup will be the first edition to involve 48 teams in an attempt to give countries outside Europe and Latin America a chance to take part in the tournament, which usually takes place in 12 stadiums over a period of 32 days.
August 11, 2017 21:11 UTC
RABAT: Morocco’s football federation FRMF announced on Friday it had told the sport’s world governing body FIFA it will bid to host the 2026 World Cup. In April, the US, Canada and Mexico had already announced a joint North American bid to host the tournament. If successful, Morocco would become only the second African country to host football’s flagship event following South Africa in 2010. RABAT: Morocco’s football federation FRMF announced on Friday it had told the sport’s world governing body FIFA it will bid to host the 2026 World Cup. If successful, Morocco would become only the second African country to host football’s flagship event following South Africa in 2010.
August 11, 2017 21:10 UTC
He’s among an estimated 855,070 remaining WWII veterans in the country, according to the nonprofit organization Honor Flight Austin. The group, which flies veterans to Washington, D.C., to visit their war memorials, has invited Bob Goolsby on a September trip to recognize his military service. “It’s a privilege to have your name on that wall,” Jewell Goolsby said. “Oh, how funny,” Jewell Goolsby said. Round Rock World War II veteran recalls when his B-29 crashed
August 11, 2017 20:37 UTC
Africa’s youth population is growing rapidly and is expected to reach over 830 million by 2050. Whether this spells promise or peril depends on how the continent manages its “youth bulge”. Between 10 and 12 million people join the African labour force each year, yet the continent creates only 3.7 million jobs annually. Kenya 10 to 12 million young people join the African labour force each year, yet the continent creates only 3.7 million jobs annually. The African Development Bank is working on creating 25 million jobs and equipping at least 50 million youth to realize their full economic potential by 2025.
August 11, 2017 18:56 UTC
"The Royal Moroccan Football Federation has officially submitted its candidacy on Friday, August 11, 2017 to organise the World Cup in 2026," the statement on the federation's website said. "The Federation submitted its application to the relevant committees of the Federation Internationale de Football Association - FIFA - to host this global event. The joint bid by the United States, Canada and Mexico was announced in April.FIFA said in a statement that the two candidates would have until March to submit detailed bidding documents. The bids will then be evaluated and a report submitted to the FIFA Council.The final decision will be taken by the full FIFA Congress in Moscow on June 13 next year. (Writing by Brian Homewood; Editing by Andrew Roche and Ken Ferris)
August 11, 2017 17:03 UTC